Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Distributor Dust Shield?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Distributor Dust Shield?

I haven't had one of these on my car in years, but curious if most folks use them? I am changing the rotor and thought I'd put it in, but now not so sure I want a loose piece of plastic in there like that... Seems like it could end up just spinning in there and eventually breaking. What say you all?
Old 07-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Oops, silly me for questioning Porsche. It has a nice little key at the top and gets locked in place by the cap. I'm a believer again. It means I actually have to use the distributor mounting hooks to get the cap off (rather than pulling the housing) but it's a small price to pay for a debris-free cap I suppose. Not that I've ever found debris in there or had any other missing dusk-cap-related problems, but still...
Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2016, 09:35 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I haven't had one in years either, doesn't seem to matter.
Interestingly it appears the 928 did not use this item from the factory and they used the same dizzy on the Euro models.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Yeah it's probably been a decade since there was one on this car. In fact, this motor has never had one...

While obsessing, I'm also wondering if I put the foam gasket on correctly. Everything seemed to line up with the open slot on top like in the picture but random internet surfing seems to show many with the open slot on the bottom. Anyone know the correct way or the reason for the open slot?

Edit: the FSM (28-10) shows the cut out slot at the bottom, though I am stumped as to why...?

Last edited by Tom M'Guinn; 07-01-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Distributor Dust Shield?