Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shifting into gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Shifting into gear issues

Good afternoon. I've searched and not found anything specifically relevant. I have an 87 turbo which has suddenly developed a case of not wanting to shift into gear when the car is running for the first time today.

I've had the car since last fall and have zero records for it. After completing the usual maintenance jobs, I've been using it for as a weekend car since April. Today when I lowered it off the lift it wouldn't shift into any gear. I came back to it later to try to put it back in the garage and it would shift into gear with the car off, but was initially difficult when running. After driving it around the block, it's behaving as normal, but I've put it back on the lift to investigate.

1. As per Clark's instructions, I've measured the clutch wear and its at 20mm (with a new at 18mm and worn at 34mm).

2. I had my son actuate the clutch while I watched underneath and the slave moves the clutch fork full travel (to the front of the viewing port). No leaks,just the sound of the springs on the PP when actuated.

3. The shifter is not a short shifter and is generally not sloppy (little lateral movement) and certainly tighter than the one in my S.

4. I've bought diff fluid to do a change but don't generally believe there's a cure for anything in a bottle. It's unknown when it was last changed.

5. The transmission is an S2 LSD box and has been faultless in the 2000 km I've put on the car.

Short of throwing parts at it, can anyone suggest next steps?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:24 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like a busted clutch fork.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:51 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Thank you for your response. I thought that as well, however the intermittent function makes me suspect that it's not an outright mechanical failure yet.

I have just finished changing the differential fluid and it was interesting to note that only 1.8 litres came out, yet to fill to specification is/was 2.6 litres. I couldn't get any Swepco here so used Royal Purple 75w-90 with the friction modifier for the LSD. The Royal Purple seems quite over-priced, but the shifter feels much smoother rowing through the gears up on my lift. Here is me crossing my fingers that it was a fluid starvation issue where nothing was damaged in the short interval that it was acting up. The test will be in a from cold test drive in the morning.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:08 AM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Well, it appears I lucked out. The difference in fluid (quality perhaps and more importantly quality) since the change has made shifting much better. I would have expected to hear some audible clue that it was low but apparently that's not the case.

I now get to return to being excited about the delivery of a set of RE11's and the shipment of my VEMS system.

Quick Reply: Shifting into gear issues