Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help with High RPM Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 02:02 AM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with High RPM Rattle

When I get on it I have a rattle sound at high RPMs that sounds like a sheet metal shield or something similar. The metal under carriage shield that wraps around the oil pan was slightly mangled from hitting a cross over pipe, so I fixed that when I replaced my exhaust last weekend. I replaced a missing hanger and anything else I could find that looked like it could be hitting trying to make sure and fix teh annoying sound.

Not certain that it is sheet metal shield or something, but that is what it sounds like to me, but it hits above 5,500 RPM and I want to fix it so I don't feel like I am driving a poorly sorted out junker.

Any suggestions on what to check out in the process of tracking it down?
Old 06-10-2016, 05:50 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

check the catalytic converter heat shield and the exhaust heat shield.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:14 AM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed the exhaust manifold heat shield was prone to rattle on mine. I had to bend it a little to not.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:37 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Ha!

You will never guess what the noise on my car was. It is the dam front brake dust shield on the passenger side.

Only found it because I bumped it with a wrench while working under the car. It was driving me nuts trying to find it. Never thought to look there since the dust shields are like new and powder coated showing no signs of wear or marks etc.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:32 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome! Thanks everyone. I wondered about exhaust manifold since I just replaced the whole exhaust pipe with a test pipe and back section and checked what I notices and repaired what I found, but didn't necessarily know what else to check. This gives me some leads on where else to look.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Help with High RPM Rattle