Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Horrible experience with Broadfoot racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 11:24 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible experience with Broadfoot racing

I really don't like writing bad reviews but after all the crap this company put my son through . We do not track the car or race it at all.
So 1 1/2 yrs ago my son through the internet finds this company to build him a motor for his 944Turbo. We had another company first build a motor and because of contaminates in the intake manifold from porting , scored up the pistons and damaged the block. Lindsey racing stood behind us and came to a fair settlement with the porting company . Lindsey racing is a stand up company. We know it is from contaminates from the intake manifold because we sent out the pistons and oil to verify and not me but professionals in the field confirmed that was the cause.
So now my son finds this company Broadfoot racing and whatever other names they go under. I have dealt with a number of engine building companies( I have a 911 turbo , full EFI conversion) like TurboKraft, Supertec performance as well as other extremely high-end , credible companies in the past and have always had good experiences.
After 6 months or so my son decides to check in and see how everything is going. No call back nothing, so after a while I decide to give a call to see how things are going. No call back nothing. I find out that they really don't use a phone to communicate, they text ( like a bunch of teenage girls).
I would like to let you know that the total investment was $20,000 , yes $20,000 . When someone spends that kind of money you don't talk to this person through text. When they wanted more money they would text my son and say. I need more money or I will not work on your car.
Really is that the way you do it. So more time goes by and more money more things bad etc... We ask when is the motor going to be ready. Days later by text. It will be done when it is done. That's the answer we get.
So I try to call to talk to him. Not happening, nobody answers the phone and no call back. By the way me and my wife run a car audio , performance store and find it strange no one answers or calls back.
So after more time goes by my wife decides to call, We figure hay his wife runs the front maybe we would get somewhere if a women called and talked. Well that did'nt go well. She actually answered the phone and when she found out who it was, she hang's up on my wife.
The next thing we no they are going on facebook and degrading my family, saying on no who is going to call now his grandfather, and rich mamas boy, The funny thing is at the time he was 23 and is a union machine operator and all the money was his own. Not a penny was given to him by anyone. Still they continue to bad mouth and make jokes about the whole issue and my family. Really I say to my self , Am I missing something, all we wanted was communication. After all we are spending 20,000 dollars on this we deserve more than a text . 1 yr goes by and the car supposedly is in the final stages. So the car goes to the dyno and just hits 400HP or a little more, I cant remember the exact number. So my is a little disappointed, since the motor was suppose to be close to 500HP. So they call my son a little brat on facebook because of his disappointment.
So the car gets shipped back to us. The day is shows up my son is pumped to get the car. Mine you the original agreement was for a fully tuned turn key all set up car.
The car barely starts and is pissing oil everywhere. Really!!!!! this is the way you send out a high dollar motor build. So he has to spend $700. to ship it back. When he gets it he says, by text again, still no phone call, It will take me 2 weeks to fix it. The issues was bad tec system ( computer for the car), brand new turbo was bad, and issue with injectors. You did not no this before you sent it out. So after 6 months supposedly it is all ready.
Before the delivery we decide to let another shop that came highly recommended to check the car out before we take delivery for a number of reasons. 1. We were told they were making in house bets on how long the motor would last. I was told they were saying like 2 weeks. 2. They way it was delivered the first time we did not trust them. As well as other reasons. The car shows up at the other shop to do oil sample, compression and leak down test. They opened up the oil filter and found metal parts that should not have been in there. Not only did they say that is not good but Lindsey Racing also looked at it and said that is not good.
leak down numbers were 7% across the board. Not bad but I would thing a brand new motor would be in the 2-3% range. The compression was 140 on three cylinders and 120 on one. Not really what you want to see on a new motor. We are hoping the low cylinder will come to life.
The good news is the metal was from the oil cooler. It was never cleaned out from the disaster of the first motor. Well good job Broadfoot racing on cleaning the oil cooler. Just leave all the junk in there so the motor blows up. We had the motor and cooler flushed. So after they fix other little things they see wrong it is ready to ship to us. $1600 later.
So now the car shows up to us. It starts, runs fairly good. It is lean in
some areas so it needs some minor tuning adjustments. The problem is they never sent us the bin file to load in a computer to make changes. Do you thing they answered the phone when we called to get that. lol.... So now we probably have to send the electromotive computer out to get the bin file from it. It also has a leak at the bottom of the turbo that drips on to the exhaust and smells and smokes pretty good. Good job Broadfoot racing, really a bunch of professionals.
I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy. They have been banned from a number of porsche sites because of issues, They have unsatisfied BBB complains and do a search on this company and you will see I am not the only one who has had problems. Everyone says they will take your money but never call you back. Other people have complained about parts that were suppose to be shipped and never received them and wait 6 months with no call to get there money back. You should be ashamed of how you handled this issue. Oh and by the way I have documentation to back up all I have said here. He has threatens most people with slander suits if they say anything bad about his company. PLEASE sue me for slander, I have everything I need to back up my statements.
By the way don't take my word for it. Do a search on this company, look them up on the BBB. I am stating fact not fiction.......
Old 06-07-2016, 12:03 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds awful and sorry to hear. How did you guys come across them initially (recommendation, etc)? I've seen these sorts of reviews for years on RL - looks like buyer beware and hopefully your review saves someone else some grief.

There are a few good (but expensive) lessons in here... like when things start getting sideways, don't throw good money after bad - cut your losses as the money is sunk. Hard to do psychologically... it's like making yourself sell a stock that is never coming back, but to do so is an admission you made a bad choice (knowingly or not).
Old 06-07-2016, 07:30 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Have you considered legal action? I would speak with a lawyer about fraud at least.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Wonder whats wrong with them, judging by their web site, they are very knowledgeable about 951s..
Old 06-08-2016, 07:30 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlm328
Have you considered legal action? I would speak with a lawyer about fraud at least.
I actually have been talking to my lawyer about it, I've also tried to contact the shop numerous times they have actually blocked my number deleted me off Facebook so there is really no way for me to contact them and there is no way in hell I would send this car to them again, they actually blocked me while they had my car. If you tell me my car is going to be done on this day I will call you to check in because I need to schedule a transport and they always give some lame excuse over and over.. I already sent the car back to them once and that cost me over $1500 in transport fees .. I am currently trying to adjust some of the air fuels because it is running far from perfect but they will not send me my bin file.. I have the electromotive standalone you cannot pull it directly from the unit so I would have to start from scratch which would be totally pointless because I paid them for a tune it was supposed to be perfect... So now all this does is start my car and lets it run lean all around . Also giving them numerous chances to address oil leaks like I said the first time I got the car it was pissing oil everywhere shut off on me while casually driving within the first three minutes. And now I still have an oil leak I am at the trying to pinpoint. They say the car is perfect when it left there shop and they said The other shop that checked it (motor werks in ga) is tying to sabotage it or cause issues , also blaming the oil they used in the car - since my oil cooler was NEVER cleaned from my last engine Failure it had metal all in the filter ..... They said it was removed and cleaned but that's another lien they made
Old 06-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They have a ton of cool products but to afraid to buy any after a few storys like this . If i ha a middle man in Florida maybe i would
Old 06-08-2016, 08:11 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Why do the two of you use the same login on rennlist? Not important to the whole story, but if you used separate accounts it might be helpful in understanding who has posted what over this very long saga.

When it comes to legal battles, know that you are likely to lose more money in legal fees than you stand to gain from any outcome. And even if you win the legal battle, it can be very difficult to collect the funds. Not to say it isn't worth exploring your options, but given that there have been a few decisions made in this whole ordeal that seemed less than fully thought out, it might be a good chance to stand back and reflect about the best possible outcome of any course of action.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:23 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ian
Why do the two of you use the same login on rennlist? Not important to the whole story, but if you used separate accounts it might be helpful in understanding who has posted what over this very long saga.

When it comes to legal battles, know that you are likely to lose more money in legal fees than you stand to gain from any outcome. And even if you win the legal battle, it can be very difficult to collect the funds. Not to say it isn't worth exploring your options, but given that there have been a few decisions made in this whole ordeal that seemed less than fully thought out, it might be a good chance to stand back and reflect about the best possible outcome of any course of action.
Two log ins ? Jbrown is the only account I know of or use .. You might not know this is my fathers account he does not post on RL any more only pelican so I took over his account unless it's posted in 930 form it's him . And yes that's the issue with legal. He lawyers will win.. It's a shame how this company treats there customers And took advantage of me .. I saved every penny for this !
Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ian

Oh I read it wrong .. I just copy and pasted his post from pelican .. My pops is not on rennlist anymore most 951 folks knows it's me on here !! Been like that for a few years now ... Like I said if it's posted in 911 or 930 section it's not me but he is usually never on here
Old 06-08-2016, 09:56 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

based on all the reviews over the years, i've never gone near this company. i think this is standard in most/all states, but you could easily take them to small claims court, but you might have to do it in their county. that might be quite inconvenient. TX limit in small claims is $10k, but at least it's half of what you invested. if you win, they also pay for your court expenses. most small claims cases do not involve lawyers, but you can use one. no lawyer helps to offset your costs, but you'd have to feel very confident in your evidence and materials for the case. i hate when this happens to people. how they are still in business is absolutely beyond me.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
based on all the reviews over the years, i've never gone near this company. i think this is standard in most/all states, but you could easily take them to small claims court, but you might have to do it in their county. that might be quite inconvenient. TX limit in small claims is $10k, but at least it's half of what you invested. if you win, they also pay for your court expenses. most small claims cases do not involve lawyers, but you can use one. no lawyer helps to offset your costs, but you'd have to feel very confident in your evidence and materials for the case. i hate when this happens to people. how they are still in business is absolutely beyond me.
Yes I have to fly down to Florida ... I just want my car to be what I paid for no leaks turn key ... The 1st time they sent it to me I was embarrassed to have it was such a disappointment. I took vids I'll see if I can upload to show it all .. And they told me it left there shop perfect! Now the second time it is a lot better but still should not have any oil leaks the tuning issue is not that bad if they gave me my bin file so I can adjust it ... It runs lean at 15psi over 5k .. It's tuned to blow up loll they said they tuned it for 24psi and it made 463 wheel... Just a big disappointment and they ARE HORRIBLE to deal with .. They have every excuse in the book
Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious as why you chose to use Broadfoot when maybe the best 944 guy in the country is right in your backyard, Chris White.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:44 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpr8er
Just curious as why you chose to use Broadfoot when maybe the best 944 guy in the country is right in your backyard, Chris White.
Well he was very nice at 1st communication was great I was told he builds great motors just it takes a while and I did not know it would take 2 years and have all these issues .. Spoke to Chris he could not get to my car in a year Albert could do it right away ... Big mistake on my part .. Actually trying to make an appomiment with Chris to tune my car
Old 06-08-2016, 10:50 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The best advice you'll probably get here.... note - I have no experience with the company at hand, so this is not specific to them. It is only specific to what I would do if I had a similar situation that got to this point:
  • Don't litigate this any further in the forums or social media - it could ultimately do more harm than good to your cause
  • If everything is as you say, you should definitely get an attorney, who practices in Florida, to discuss this with you for an hour or two
  • Always get the best attorney you can afford (See Simpson, OJ), as outcomes are positively correlated with dollars
  • The first thing the attorney(s) can do is help you get control of your communications - ie write your letters, make sure they are delivered, check all the boxes a judge would like to see
  • On this note, you should not do telephone calls as they have no record
  • Get all of your communications, receipts, signed contracts in a row

Absolutely buy an hour or two of attorney time. They can take over the communications for you and I have seen this to be extremely effective. They can also devise the strategy going forward, including some things you probably have not thought about. Lastly, my experience has been that when a company doesn't really act like a company (ie no communications, poor service, tardiness, etc) it means there are other basics of business blocking and tackling they probably don't have time for either. Like paying taxes. You may find with the right legal help, that they don't ultimately want to have a spotlight on them.

Lastly, do not drive the car a mile further or attempt to remedy it in any way (air fuel, etc). Because if it blows up after you've monkeyed with it, it's on you.

Hope this helps. If I were you, I would not post anything more about it if you're serious about getting a good outcome.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:55 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
The best advice you'll probably get here.... note - I have no experience with the company at hand, so this is not specific to them. It is only specific to what I would do if I had a similar situation that got to this point:
  • Don't litigate this any further in the forums or social media - it could ultimately do more harm than good to your cause
  • If everything is as you say, you should definitely get an attorney, who practices in Florida, to discuss this with you for an hour or two
  • Always get the best attorney you can afford (See Simpson, OJ), as outcomes are positively correlated with dollars
  • The first thing the attorney(s) can do is help you get control of your communications - ie write your letters, make sure they are delivered, check all the boxes a judge would like to see
  • On this note, you should not do telephone calls as they have no record
  • Get all of your communications, receipts, signed contracts in a row

Absolutely buy an hour or two of attorney time. They can take over the communications for you and I have seen this to be extremely effective. They can also devise the strategy going forward, including some things you probably have not thought about. Lastly, my experience has been that when a company doesn't really act like a company (ie no communications, poor service, tardiness, etc) it means there are other basics of business blocking and tackling they probably don't have time for either. Like paying taxes. You may find with the right legal help, that they don't ultimately want to have a spotlight on them.

Lastly, do not drive the car a mile further or attempt to remedy it in any way (air fuel, etc). Because if it blows up after you've monkeyed with it, it's on you.

Hope this helps. If I were you, I would not post anything more about it if you're serious about getting a good outcome.
I had the whole car rechecked at motor werks in Georgia make sure the motor was ok since I did trust them one bit after the issues .. Motor works gave me the ok and some issues that do need to be fixed but the motor is healthy ... Just the leak and some tuning ... Anyways I'm not sure if I'm going to court if my motor was faulty yes I would be all over it . I had my lawyer talk to them but the motor is healthy and I am happy to have it back. Just wanted to share my story so some one else does not make the same mistake I did

Quick Reply: Horrible experience with Broadfoot racing