Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Considering performance upgrades - how would you spend your money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016 | 02:44 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
So far VEMS pnp has proven to be less hassle to install and get running than the products you are referring. No need for modifying factory harness also.
Runs perfectly with whatever configuration you want.
Again I wrote it 4 years ago, i don't think it was available then. (can't edit it anymore)

The VEMS reminds me of the Wolf plug and play lindsey racing use to supply with maps.
If that was still available when i was doing mine, i would have went that route.

What i look for in plug and play ECUs is that who can tune them. Rogues stuff had issues getting tuned here when looking for an issue in Bruces car.
Wolf here, most tuners know it back to front which is good.

It really depends on your location of what you really want to put into the car.

Australia produces some of the best standalones in the world, so we usually buy what your tuner knows best as there's so much to choose from.

My good friend has build a 2jz RX8 and his tuner uses haltech only. so that's what he went with.

It's all preference at the end of the day.
Old 05-20-2016 | 02:58 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Ask Spencer how he tuned his car, he had never seen VEMS before

Last edited by Raceboy; 05-20-2016 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-20-2016 | 04:25 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if VEMS works as advertised then it is a much better option that any of the MAF kits out there. So many more features for a much lower price. The MAF kits really are very expensive for what is essentially quite old technology.
Old 05-20-2016 | 06:54 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Are there many manufacturers fitting new cars with MAP rather than MAF ? Having both seems beneficial.
Old 05-20-2016 | 10:28 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Manufacturers don't make decisions based on performance, but rather budget. How many racing teams run MAF?
Old 05-20-2016 | 06:02 PM
blade7
Drifting

I think the GT2 runs a MAF type sensor.
Old 05-20-2016 | 07:50 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Learning to tune isn't that hard... you just have to understand what the tables/curves are responsible for, and investing time in dialing them in. I had no previous experience before installing my MS and with all the online resources, it's really not a big deal.
Old 05-21-2016 | 03:06 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

AOR
Old 05-21-2016 | 03:46 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blade7
I think the GT2 runs a MAF type sensor.
You mean 911 GT2? It is a street car, no race versions run MAF afaik.
Old 05-21-2016 | 08:14 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Raceboy
You mean 911 GT2? It is a street car, no race versions run MAF afaik.
I do and I'm guessing the street car uses the MAF to improve response from small throttle openings or low revs ? I'd be very interested to see how a MAP only setup works on our relatively laggy low comp engines. I think the Sierra Cosworth I owned years ago had a Weber Marelli MAP only setup, and that was very flat at low revs.
Old 05-21-2016 | 09:44 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong in that. MAP is much more responsive and it doesn't get affected by intake reversion when wild cams etc are used.

MAF is mostly used on stock cars because it compensates for slight engine VE change that occurs with wear over the years, MAP doesn't. If MAF would be so universal and good then all of the race cars would use this, they don't have budget constraints. That's why I asked if you could show me a race cars that use MAF.
Old 05-21-2016 | 01:25 PM
blade7
Drifting

There's road cars running MAF and MAP together from the factory where cost isn't a consideration. I'd guess Rogue and Vitesse would run just MAP if it worked as well as MAF and MAP combined, and they were interested in saving a few dollars. I'm not interested in what race cars run, I'm not entering any races in my road car.
Old 05-21-2016 | 03:02 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Please try to use ITB's and/or some more srious performance cams with MAF and see what happens. Also on each road car, cost is always a consideration, even with Porsches or Lamborghinis or other high end cars.

Vitesse and Rogue are not fully standalone ECU's, they are still based on Motronic technology.

You are free to use whatever you want, so far you haven't decided on anything (about year or more when I have seen you posting about different offerings). Also you can ask people who have installed VEMS how they feel the car is driving compared to Motronic.
Old 05-21-2016 | 03:15 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread is about an upgrade for $3-4K right? Depending on what you want that can be used up on one item in the drivetrain. And AOR transaxle is a nice upgrade with new tires. You'll just need another $40G's to upgrade the car in all the areas that need to be addressed if you want to race it and have it not break on the track on you. I just went for it and spent most of my $ on my 951 since November 2014. Also if you haven't replaced your fuel lines that would be the first step on every 944/951. Then fuel rail because it will leak. Think safety first then HP add on's. My engine is my last upgrade. EVERYTHING else has been addressed on my 951 first before I dove into getting engine upgrade components.
Old 05-21-2016 | 03:52 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had AFM and MAF and now a MAP setup. What's impressed me about MAP setups is that tuning them is intuitive and you have a lot of freedom as far as measurements go. You don't need a physical sensor in your intake, just a vacuum line reading the manifold. Another cool thing about standalones is that you can define all the hardware... my NA runs mostly GM sensors which are cheap and robust, as well as a custom 36-1 crank trigger on the front. The piggyback stuff is cool but honestly doesn't hold a candle to a real standalone if you're looking for tuning options. And tuning MAF voltages? Come on.

Quick Reply: Considering performance upgrades - how would you spend your money?