Help Identifying a Wire

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 AM
tbg22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help Identifying a Wire

Gents,

My headlights stuck in the up position yesterday and I went to investigate and found a wire that is wrapped around the headlight bar.

Can someone help me identify this wire? I think it has my headlight bar bound and I want to know what it is before I start cutting it out

Thanks to anyone that can help!!!

Name:  2016-05-02 09.53.39.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  334.1 KB
Old 05-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

It's going to be hard to identify the wires based on that picture. Try peeling away the tape covering the wires so we can see the size and color of the wires inside, and also try to take a picture showing which harness bundle it comes from. Looks to me like it could be any number of things, including old AFM wiring cut and spliced for a MAF conversion. Speaking of which, that blue coupler is ripped in a couple of place, and definitely should be replaced.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:43 PM
tbg22
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
It's going to be hard to identify the wires based on that picture. Try peeling away the tape covering the wires so we can see the size and color of the wires inside, and also try to take a picture showing which harness bundle it comes from. Looks to me like it could be any number of things, including old AFM wiring cut and spliced for a MAF conversion. Speaking of which, that blue coupler is ripped in a couple of place, and definitely should be replaced.
Good feedback, I will peel the tape back and post better photos. I think it is the old AFM wiring though and was hoping for a confirmation from someone.

Thanks for the nudge on replacing the blue coupler, it was rubbing against the headlight lever which caused the damage. I repositoined it but need to replace the coupler
Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM
tbg22
Rennlist Member

Thanks for responding, here are the wires with the harness pulled back:
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Yikes, that's a ribbon cable -- for use inside computers and other electronics for very small currents. It's not something I'd ever use under the hood, though it's possible some MAF kit used it. Porsche didn't put it there. Keep peeling back the tape and see if someone spliced that into a factory harness and/or where it connects.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 PM
tbg22
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks Tom

Yikes, that's a ribbon cable -- for use inside computers and other electronics for very small currents. It's not something I'd ever use under the hood, though it's possible some MAF kit used it. Porsche didn't put it there. Keep peeling back the tape and see if someone spliced that into a factory harness and/or where it connects.
My PO has done some really dumb stuff, so I am not at all surprised. Will try to find where it terminates at. I didn't think it looked like a factory harness

Quick Reply: Help Identifying a Wire