Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Two stock intercoolers as one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two stock intercoolers as one?

Has anyone taken two stock intercoolers and cut off the end tanks and then gotten the appropriate HKS or Apexi endtanks and welded them together? Tony G mentioned that he likes the design of the stock cores and end tanks aren't that expensive. You could have a monster intercooler for maybe $300-$400 (I haven't even gotten my modified IC back from SFR yet and I'm already movin' on up ) Would you weld them in series or parallel for the least pressure drop? We're talkin' twice the size of stock!
Old 10-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Parallel would get the least pressure drop, but where would you mount it? If you're relocating I don't see why you wouldn't just get something else entirely...
Ahmet
Old 10-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Because "something else entirely" is $1500-$1800 for the same size. And I know Ahmet, that you appreciate gettin' it done for less. Hell, that's more than 14% of what I've got in the car altogether and I'd rather spend that on suspension. The headlights are gone as well as the ac condensor, so there's any number of places to put it. I thought maybe something like this is what John Milledge did for 86944turbo.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:06 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Series would, assuming two like cores, double the pressure drop.

Parallel, assuming two like cores, would cut the pressure drop in 1/2.

The problem is there is no place to fit the second intercooler core. Installing it in front of the radiator, is going to heat up the water. While this may not be a problem on the street, if you can even fit and plumb it, it will most certainly be a problem on the track.

And the only way I'd install two intercoolers is if they were similar sizes and similar core types with similar end tanks.

If you don't have head lights, you could put them in a horizontal position, supply air to them from the driving light buckets with full ducting, then exhaust the air, again with full ducting (and seals) though a set of reverse louvers in the hood.... with one intercooler on each side.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Interesting idea. You wouldn't have to weld them, just use well designed Y-pipes for split and collect of the air flow.
Apart from less pressure drop you would get double the heat sink capacity. I can't either see that there is any need to try to get exactly the same flow through each, so you can keep the stock and add another, perhaps fitted low.

Bengt
Old 10-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Well,
using Bengt's y-pipe idea would free up placement a little. I think there's room to put a second IC below and staggered a little towards the front but keeping the radiator ducting in place so there wouldn't be heat from the IC passing through. I'd have to put an additional opening in the bumper right above the radiator duct. The problem is the exit for the air other than passing up and through the existing IC. The SFR IC just bites the radiator bullet doesn't it. Hmmm. Maybe ducting that passes through just the top 1/4 of the radiator won't nuke it too much.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:11 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about mounting the radiator in the rear like on the Lindsey's car? Then you can free up the entire front end for the intercooler...
Old 10-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Danno,
I thought they (Lindsey moved it back up front for some reason.
How necessary is the triangular cross section sheetmetal that the IC sits on and the radiator ducting mounts on? Is it just a mounting surface for these items or part of the crash integrity/absorbtion engineering? The bumper ties the two main supports together and well as the hood latch/IC housing. With that piece out of the way (or at least accomplished in a different manner like removing most of the vertical elements) there's room to mount the second stock IC and quite possibly still separate the IC exit air from the radiator intake air very much in the stock manner, especially if you used some of Tony G's hood louvers or the 968 turboRS vent to handle the additional airflow.

Quick Reply: Two stock intercoolers as one?