Who, me?
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Northern porker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Who, me?
That looks fantastic. Where did you have the work done. Is that a 3.2 build?
Old 04-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by sherry66
Yes Patrick , thats the cut down supra manifold ,seems to be working well.
Although not comparable to the quality of Tims build and his results, built the engine in my single garage, we did use some of his ideas.
The internals are flanged liners, PPM rods , JE pistons and rings for a 8 valve so had them flycut for the 16v head , K27/8, baffled sump and supported pick up pipe. The crossover pipe had flanges for turbo headers welded on from spare set. Fabspeed downpipe and 3" stainless exhaust. Augment Automotive ecu running with standerd turbo sensors and turbo bellhousing with sprung 6 puck clutch.
I could say the turbo was chosen after looking at flow maps and compatability to the 16 v head but the reality is seeing a dutch fella getting good results with his, ease of fitment and it was £160 on ebay! I dont need more than 450bhp at the moment.
Rick , contact Nick at Nickson Motorsport if interested in the inlet manifold . He welded mine and will shortly be doing another for me.
While waiting for this to be set up , built up another 3L 8v for the road car..
Where did you get the supra manifold
Old 04-12-2016, 01:51 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern porker
That looks fantastic. Where did you have the work done. Is that a 3.2 build?
Performance Developments in California. Yes, 3.2ltr 16v build. Getting closer by the day.
http://performancedevelopments.com/
Old 04-12-2016, 04:25 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

How have you achieved the extra engine capacity the deck plate seams to be inside the block is this so you can use original design head bolts.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:51 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who, me?
Nicely done sir.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:22 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern porker
How have you achieved the extra engine capacity the deck plate seams to be inside the block is this so you can use original design head bolts.
Increasing displacement can be done by stroke or boresize or the combination of both.
Deckplates in 944 engines are normally machined and press fitted into place.
Their purpose is to add support to the cylinder liners up top so that loose cylinders don't move around. Apart from oring mods this is really the only fix . It would be possible to lock the liners with studs but that is untested for this platform afaik.

Most builds don't use deckplates but Patrick has put allot of money and time into these engines to achieve reliable operation in extreme race allocations.
Check he's build thread out allot of good info there .

Stud location is the same to fit the cylinder head but bigger studs are used
Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
Nicely done sir.
Thanks...wish I could say I had anything to do with it.

Originally Posted by Adonay
Increasing displacement can be done by stroke or boresize or the combination of both.
Their purpose is to add support to the cylinder liners up top so that loose cylinders don't move around. Apart from oring mods this is really the only fix . It would be possible to lock the liners with studs but that is untested for this platform afaik.

Most builds don't use deckplates but Patrick has put allot of money and time into these engines to achieve reliable operation in extreme race allocations.

Exactly. 105mm x 94mm stroker crank comes out at 3.255ltr. Studs are 9/16ths and the bores have been tapped with a type of sert for additional security in these old Alu blocks.

The thing is, with builds it really depends on application. Much of what has been put into our build has been designed for extra reliability, not just extra performance. The upside of reliability is performance. A car with a working motor inside it has 100% more performance than one on the engine stand. Not saying we haven't had some issues along the way. That's pretty normal. We're trying to safeguard this one as much as possible. The idea is to be able to run it at less boost than the previous 2 and still have the performance. Say 18psi vs 25psi or thereabouts.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Northern porker
Advanced

Thanks...wish I could say I had anything to do with it.

Exactly. 105mm x 94mm stroker crank comes out at 3.255ltr. Studs are 9/16ths and the bores have been tapped with a type of sert for additional security in these old Alu blocks.

The thing is, with builds it really depends on application. Much of what has been put into our build has been designed for extra reliability, not just extra performance. The upside of reliability is performance. A car with a working motor inside it has 100% more performance than one on the engine stand. Not saying we haven't had some issues along the way. That's pretty normal. We're trying to safeguard this one as much as possible. The idea is to be able to run it at less boost than the previous 2 and still have the performance. Say 18psi vs 25psi or thereabouts.
Thanks that is very useful. Even though my application is track use and not race, reliability is very important to me. As you can probobly tell from my questions I just about know one end of a grease gun from the other, so keeping it out of the garage is a priority and I'd rather spend more now than later.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adonay

Thaks I'll check out his thread.

Quick Reply: New 944 turbo 3.0 or 3.2 16v build