Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

89 951 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 89 951 comparison

I have a customer that has an 89 951 and we both don DE's with PCA. He has told me one more than one occasion that my car will pull him on a straight away.

His car has Weltmeister chips and a wastegate shim. My car has a LBE. Until tonight I was not sure if my car had chips of some sort or not but always assumed that it did, as it regularly blows black smoke and flames out the tailpipe on boost. It still has the cat. After burning a valve at VIR a month ago, I also am replacing the KLR hose and had to remove my boxes.

Well, my boxes are virgin. Never been opened. This is causing me to scratch my head a little because it's not like it just this one guy/car that has questioned me about my setup. I have always said it was stock/OE and now I have found that to be true with the exception of the LBE. My car runs at 1 bar and does so without the LBE. So what is up with that.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

What kind of wheels does your customer run on his 951? Between my heaviest and lightest set of wheels, it feels like a 30hp difference, easy. My top speed on the back straight at VIR was down 10mph @ our last event, only huge difference from the spring was my wheels.

Oh, you need to install some aftermarket chips. If it was fast stock, imagine the possibilities. I will gladly take your stockers!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Good thought on the wheels but both cars had stock wheels. The difference is much more than a tire diameter or unsprung weight issue. In more than 15 years servicing Porsche cars I have never noticed this before. I was wondering if anyone else has come across this.

I feel like I must be overlooking something.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:58 PM
DangerIslandII
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

running 1bar boost (15psi, 2.0 bar total) on stock chips shouldn't be possible. your stock overboost protection should kick in before that.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I agree but it holds 1 bar all the way to red-line. I still have the boxes loose on the floor. I am going to check the Bosch numbers, it does not make sense.

The day I burned the valve, at WOT on occasion the car would buck when it would try to make boost at high speed. I could just keep my foot in it and turn the key off then on again and it would go. I would think over-boost, right?

Well when I pulled the intake off back at the shop, I found the center port on the air timed valve to be broken off so that's the reason for the over-boost kicking in.

I just got the car wrapped up and drove it with a factory boost test gauge hanging in the window and with all the new pieces it runs 1 bar like it always has.

Go figure.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:58 PM
DangerIslandII
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having to shut the car off like that is exactly an overboost symptom. that's really weird.

Quick Reply: 89 951 comparison