Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

methanol/water injection what do you guys think??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 01:31 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default methanol/water injection what do you guys think??

I have a few friends who have water injected their cars....it seems to work well...and run much cooler.....i was thinking of doing this to my car...i have a friend...with a turbocharged cobra....who really knows his stuff when it comes to turbo's......do you guys think it is worth it?? Do any of you have any experience with this setup? Any info would be greatly apprieciated!
thanks and

-john
Old 09-27-2003, 02:16 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I don't sell my 951, I'll be doing a 4 port AquaMist injection setup.

No direct experience, but according to some of my friends who have extensive race experience, it's the way to go on turbo cars.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:24 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a "Boost Cooler" water/methanol injection system, but I haven't has a good opportunity to install/tune yet.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:30 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am new to this list with my 1987 944T.
I am in the final stages of adding a custom port water injection and for good measure the outside of the intercooler will be sprayed as well. The system has a pressure switch adjusted to engage at 13 psi.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:48 AM
reno928s
Pro

How does the system actually work? Reno
Old 09-27-2003, 03:15 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

reno928s,
Assuming your question is for me, the system conceptually is quite simple.
There is a water mist nozzle across each fuel injector, a custom (=home) made water manifold that connects to the 4 nozzles and the water line also goes in front of the intercooler where there are 2 water mist nozzles as well. The water supply (and return) comes from (goes to) the windshield washer tank. The separate water pump (1.4gpm, 60psi max) has adequate pressure and flow capacity and is electrically actuated by a manually adjustable pressure switch now set to 13psi. To prevent back-flow to the manifolds vacuum, a couple of check valves are installed as well.
This is where i got my main inspiration:
http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html
and here are other references:
http://www.aquamist.co.uk
http://www.highpower.freeserve.co.uk/water.htm
http://www.spearcointercoolers.com/h20inject.htm
Generally I work quite slowly (=methodically), but could possibly post some pictures in a week or two if there is interest.

Last edited by Laust Pedersen; 09-28-2003 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:58 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

mine wont be off of the wind shield washer pump.....i will be buying an external pump....i think lance said around 40lb per hr. I cant remember exactly but i think thats what he said.My nossle will be after the intercooler.......right before the throttle body.It will be controlled by a switch and will engage at 9 psi.I will be doing this in the next two weeks......especially now since you guys think it is a good idea.I will post the results and pics...if yall want i just dont have a way of hosting them so i will have to email them to someone.It nice to know that this stuff actually works...i am excited about the setup.......we will see how it all turns out.

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2003, 05:05 AM
reno928s
Pro

I am interested in this, but what does this system actually do, performance wise? Thanks, Reno
Old 09-27-2003, 10:58 AM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

I would just like to add that I am thrilled with my Aquamist system. I spray into the hardpipe between the intercooler and the throttle body and externally on to the intercooler. I have built in failsafes with my 2S system that warns me if there is no flow so that I can turn down the boost. I think this is vital to a useful system. I let mine start spraying at about 8-9psi. There is no stumbling whatsoever. The car feels strong like on a cool autumn day every day. At the dyno, we took some temps on the hardpipe and found my temps not to rise despite multiple succesive runs. (No heat soak). On Ians car, we took the same measurements and found his temps to go up with each run. My temps stayed around 121 and Ians started there but continued to rise into the mid 130s. I am now a firm believer in the benefits. Look through the archives for some of my other posts for more info.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:50 AM
John.
User

You are far better off to install a properly sized air to air intercooler....but that costs some pretty healthy coin. If you turn the dial too far and your intercooler is restrictive, the heating effect is greatly increased and you quickly reach a point of diminishing return.

Measuring temps on a dyno is only 1/2 the story...remember the car isn't moving there so ambient cooling air is minimal.

I have considered installing such a device on my 928, but I don't think I will just yet. I have heard these devices help in keeping combustion chambers very clean.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:28 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

honestly the stock intercooler works great on our cars........i have hered many many great things about methanol injection systems........i will tell you guys how it goes.....and do some dyno runs before and after to tell abotu the perormance gain if any with this new setup
Old 09-29-2003, 08:31 AM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The air to air intercooler is a more reliable device and when properly sized provide excellent cooling capabilities. However, water injection provide in cylinder cooling which is a great detonation suppressor. Water injection is a must for "very" high boost application or when there isn't much space available for a properly sized intercooler.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:43 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

An update for those interested:

I have now installed a port water injection in my 1987 944T with an additional two nozzles (misters) for the outside front of the intercooler and it appears to work very well.

The components I used can be found here: http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html
I do not have dyno numbers, but an educated guess would be a 5% to 10% power increase. The difference can especially be felt when accelerating just after idling or slow driving, i.e. when induction system is hot. The water appears not to affect the boost level, which in my case still is 18psi, measured on a separate VDO gauge (standard K26-6, thermal coat and heat wrap exhaust), although the boost increase hesitate a bit at 13psi (when the water injection starts).

To get maximum power out of this my basic philosophy is to cool the intake air without displacing oxygen (which happens if the water is injected early in the induction system). By injecting water close to the intake valve, there is a good chance that much of the water evaporates in the cylinder. Port injection also ensures even water supply to the cylinders. Another advantage of water injection is an “on demand” steam cleaning of the combustion chamber.
At a later time I will try to add methanol to the water, but find the purpose a bit conflicting since the latent heat for vaporization of water is far superior to alcohol (540cal/g vs. 200cal/g). Maybe the methanol will contribute to the combustion, but that may use the valuable oxygen and throw off the air-fuel ratio, so I am not sure what the idea is. Any other suggestions or explanation why using methanol?

I can’t wait to get out on Willow Springs to try it out and will especially be monitoring the engine temperature, which on prior occasions was a bit hot, but never overheated … well, except when I blew the head gasket 18 months ago and sprayed the coolant on the car behind.

I wanted to post some pictures, but being new to this list I cannot figure out how. So someone please tell me how.

Laust
Old 10-08-2003, 02:52 AM
thesmokingman
Advanced

If you really want one, its pretty common in EVO/STi circles. Hell, the STi comes with an electronic IC Sprayer stock.

Here's a link to a Group Buy where I got mine for $275. The Aquamist is good, but kinda weak for the money.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=415291

Hey Laust, is that an IC Cooler, or water injection?

If its an IC Sprayer which sprays the IC in order to contact cool, then you have to becareful cuz your dropping water on the circuit.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:40 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Any other suggestions or explanation why using methanol? "

Water is the cooler, methanal is for your anti knock. Or yo ucan use alchahol.

"A good air to air intercooler will be better" ????

Not even close to performance of water injection. Even water to air intercooler's can not provide the gains that water injection does. Especially if you use multi stage injection systems.

But I agree, do a search on here and yo uwill find a ton about injection and the different systems.

Quick Reply: methanol/water injection what do you guys think??