Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just another low boost issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 02:35 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I second what Mach5 said and will ad to check for a collapsed cat pipe etc. They have been known to do this and cause a very similar issue to what you are describing. I am helping a friend with almost identical issues, however his car is now chipped.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:32 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach 5
Have you tried driving it without any boost control, MBC or cycling valve? You need to be VERY careful not to excessively overboost (although I think you still have a stock ECU which will shut it down). This would tell you if the system is capable of producing more than 6 psi boost. If so, then it has something to do with your controller. If you still only get 6 psi, you may want to look for exhaust leaks pre turbo/wastegate.

Roger
Good suggestion. Just tried running without the MBC and still no change.

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
I second what Mach5 said and will ad to check for a collapsed cat pipe etc. They have been known to do this and cause a very similar issue to what you are describing. I am helping a friend with almost identical issues, however his car is now chipped.
I'm pretty sure the cat is okay, because when I had it out during wastegate install I did a highly scientific test of creating a tight seal with a vacuum on one end of the cat pipe. The suction against my hand at the other end felt basically the same as just the vacuum end.

Any way to check the crossover pipe without removing it?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can look at all the connections from the headers on over to the turbo and the wastegate. Look for signs of obvious exhaust leakage (black soot, etc.).

Roger

Quick Reply: Just another low boost issue...