Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Which Balance Shaft Cover

Old 03-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which Balance Shaft Cover

Hey All,

For my 3.0L turbo build, I have a 3.0L 944S2 balance shaft cover (upper) and a 2.5L turbo cover. The turbo cover is an 86, and relies on an internal bearing bridge while the 3.0L cover has the bridge built in to the cover.

The 3.0L doesn't have a turbo oiling port. So it would need to be drilled and tapped.

The 2.5L would need the bearing bridge which uses spring pins around studs to align. If I don't use the spring pins, I can install the studs and everything is fine.

I'm doing balance shaft delete in either case.

I think I prefer drilling and tapping the 3.0L cover though. This would eliminate the rubber seal the 2.5L cover needs between the bearing bridge and outer housing.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-14-2016, 02:09 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you're deleting the balance shafts, you don't need to go with the 3.0 cover but I agree with your logic. Somewhere out on the interwebz is a write up by David Raines on how to drill/tap the cover.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:27 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. I haven't found the thread. But the more I think about it, the more I think I want to abandon the balance shaft covers all together. It's just more seals that will fail and more weight in the front.

Some people epoxy up the drain holes and tap the bearing surface directly for the turbo line. I'm not sure which epoxy to use but it sounds like this is the way to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Balance Shaft Cover