general maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:44 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts
Default general maintenance

new to me

'89 951...recommendations on general maintenance, i'm aware of need for belts, clutch, motor mounts suspension issues, water pump, fuel lines, electrical, brakes... would like thoughts on oil, oil filters, adding techron (i use shell premium in all my current P-cars, '00 986 and '87 911) any other bit of wisdom to impart. car has 70, 646 miles, no modifications, never been tracked. no dents, dings, scratches; no tears rips cracks. recent new clutch, other service records up to date. many thanks
Old 03-01-2016, 07:13 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extra DME relay, or now a solid state DME relay, 20w-50 oil and check all your rubber under the hood.
Clean looking car. Never seen that color red before
As you stated already brakes and brake fluid refresh.
All other stuff belts, pump ect...
You know what you are doing as you aren't me to the P club.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:32 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The fuel lines should be the first thing on your list to replace, including the jumper. Might want to change the vacuum hoses if they are the originals. Ball joints can be suspect on these old cars. The next time you have the intake off, it might be a good idea to rebuild the throttle body. Also, inspect the 2 speed & reference sensors at the back of the engine on top. The wires tend to get frayed and cause all sorts of intermittent no-start/tach bounce issues. And ya, these cars like heavier oil.

Congrats on your purchase. The car looks sharp.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:07 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats nice buy! Vehicle has low miles though these beauty's are close to 30yrs old. I would start with hoses, vacuum lines, fuel lines over manifold which just disintegrate.

If you upgrade past stock performance definitely plan to purchase gauges because you will need them. It's funny though when my car had low miles I wanted to keep it stock and clean. Warning, as soon as you buy the first go fast boost MOD you will not be able to stop buying more and more mods.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:07 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts

Rennlisters, thank you for the advice. I've been driving the car on the open road the past few days and I love it! What a car. It's fast, balanced and completely different than the 911 and 986. I imagine I will be spending loads of time with this beauty.
So, techron to the fuel Yes or No?
Mobil 1 20/50 Yes or No?
Yes I plan on checking all hoses, vacuum lines, fuel lines, and more.
As I dig into the car history I find that a previous caretaker installed an Autothority chip. Good idea, yes of no? Issues?

and yes I know about Guard;s Red, it's everywhere except my '87 911 is Carmine, completely different color. Really.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, Mobile 1 20/50. I use 15/50, only because I can't get the 20/50 anymore here.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:14 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Nice find!
Some of this has already been mentioned above but worth repeating.

I think a lot of us here are running Valvoline VR1 20W-50 oil, it has served me well over the years.

Don't just inspect the fuel lines replace them, all three. Damper and regulator wouldn't hurt either along with all the other rubber under the hood. I did this after my purchase, it's a good way to become familiar with all the accessories on the motor.

Change plugs, rotor and cap. Plug wires if original. You could send the fuel injectors off to WitchHunter for cleaning and matching. http://www.witchhunter.com/index.php

Inspect the ball joints. If and when their ready to be rebuilt order the brass cup bushings.

Replace brake fluid and bleed the system, including the clutch slave cylinder. Might be worth replacing the clutch master cylinder and the blue clutch line if it wasn't done with the new clutch install.

Another good resource if you're not familiar: http://www.clarks-garage.com/

Enjoy you're new P car.

Quick Reply: general maintenance