Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Something New...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:12 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Something New...

Here's my latest electronics project on the car. I made up a panel to fit in place of the ashtray using Front Panel Express, the same place I discovered many years ago as a good place for custom gauge panels under the radio. Turns out they are not limited to rectangles, who knew? Not sure if I can post the outline file, but I can share if anyone wants it.

I originally made this to monitor coolant system pressure (i.e., a blown head gasket meter) both real-time and max, but then ended up adding the knock counter, outside air and oil temp. Still looking for the right sensors for the temps, and on what else to include. There's pretty much no limit to how many inputs to add (maybe I/C input/output temps? Tranny temps?) so open to ideas on that. Just thought I'd post it up...

Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2016, 11:20 PM
911lnv87
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look pretty cool Tom!
Old 02-25-2016, 11:28 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice!
IMO If you can do it all on a OLED display. That would be great. at night, no need for back lights or anything.

My PLX at night runs on a OLED screen, and looks pleasing to view at night as you just see the gauge/numbers ect. not the whole unit.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:05 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is pretty sweet.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:12 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
nice!
IMO If you can do it all on a OLED display. That would be great. at night, no need for back lights or anything.

My PLX at night runs on a OLED screen, and looks pleasing to view at night as you just see the gauge/numbers ect. not the whole unit.
So funny you say that. I was tempted when I ordered this LED, but they cost more and I figured I'd go with something simple until I had it all worked out. Do you have any pictures of your OLED screen in action, and does it combat sun glare when driving in the day? That alone would push me over the edge...
Old 02-26-2016, 01:08 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I like this idea a lot. Put me on a customer wants list if you decide to make some kits.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:53 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Invaluable member Tom strikes again!
Old 02-26-2016, 05:56 AM
ab54666
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive, where is the screen itself from??
Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
I like this idea a lot. Put me on a customer wants list if you decide to make some kits.
+1
Old 02-26-2016, 01:37 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great Tom. Post intercooler/ air intake temp is always a nice one to have to see the difference between ambient and intake temps.

On the HG pressure monitor that is a really cool idea, is your threshold the psi shown in the vid i.e. 10.5 psi? Where do you mount the pressure sensor...in the coolant cap?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:37 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I wasn't planning to make up kits, but happy to help others make them. Right now, it's running off a clunky arduino but once I have it all the way I like it I'll do a dedicated circuit board and can post that up.

I'm attaching a zip file with the template for a blank panel. This fits like a glove in my car. Front Panel Express provides free software that you can then use to add holes and cut-outs for whatever you plan to put in it.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

The screws at 1.5" #6 with 82 degree flat heads, like these:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90033A168

I have 98 left over screws if anyone wants a few.

The display is just a standard 16x2 LCD panel available at most electronics places, driven by an arduino, but I'll probably switch over to OLED as Paulyy suggests.

For the coolant pressure sensor, I put a port in the coolant neck and used a spare Zeitronix pressure gauge. Zeitronix says it is fine for use in the cooling system. There are probably easier places to put a sensor, but I'm always looking to ways to practice TIG welding. Still mulling options for the temp sensors.
Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Panel.zip (679 Bytes, 14 views)
Old 02-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nick_968
Looks great Tom. Post intercooler/ air intake temp is always a nice one to have to see the difference between ambient and intake temps.

On the HG pressure monitor that is a really cool idea, is your threshold the psi shown in the vid i.e. 10.5 psi? Where do you mount the pressure sensor...in the coolant cap?
Sorry missed that question. The top line is the current coolant pressure and the Max line shows the highest coolant pressure recorded each session (or since it was reset via the buttons). My idea was to have something of a tell-tale to show how high the coolant pressure rises under boost, etc. I haven't driven hard with it yet to get a baseline, so time will tell how useful it proves as a diagnostic/health check. It's kind of a clear, hi-tech way of checking to see if it is blowing out coolant under boost.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:52 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Sorry missed that question. The top line is the current coolant pressure and the Max line shows the highest coolant pressure recorded each session (or since it was reset via the buttons). My idea was to have something of a tell-tale to show how high the coolant pressure rises under boost, etc. I haven't driven hard with it yet to get a baseline, so time will tell how useful it proves as a diagnostic/health check. It's kind of a clear, hi-tech way of checking to see if it is blowing out coolant under boost.
Ok - I look forward to seeing what kind of baseline pressure you get at full operating loads as it would be very easy for me to run a sensor like this into my ECU and log it along with all the other data. I am currently in the process of wiring in an oil temp sensor and also the knock sensor readings into the data logging setup so this would be of interest too.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:42 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed! Cool project and I book-marked 'Front Panel Express' for my future needs.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:12 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dig it Tom! Will this be open source? I bought a couple Arduino kits a while back but haven't had a chance to dig into them since I got a new job. I'd really like to find some time to hop on this kind of stuff and contribute...

Quick Reply: Something New...