Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

968 mirrors & door handles

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 05:35 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if I like the rounder mirrors over the square ones, but I may upgrade to cup mirrors just because mine whistle so bloody much!
Old 10-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Sach951
Pro

Aero! It's a performance modification... really... weight reduction and reduced drag coefficient..
Old 10-06-2003, 11:22 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you don't like the '80s look, get a more modern Porsche

I like the look just fine, but if you use this logic no one would ever change a part on a car. I.e. if you dont like that 80s DME chips then buy a newer car. FYI, I DO think that 80s Ferrari's for the most part are ugly, otherwise I would have one. I am seriously considering a 348TS, I just dont like the 288, 308, 328 or 440i. If I wanted to look like Don Johnson I would have to buy a white suit to match and I dont look good in white pants Then again does anyone???
Old 10-07-2003, 12:17 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About the teardrops and aesthetics: everyone wants to go so absolute on the flag vs. the teardrops - the flag mirrors work fine aesthetically on the car, but from some angles are far too square for the more rounded 951 front end. On the other hand, the teardrops may seem too rounded for the boxy fender sides, but the slope of the top of the mirror echoes the slope of the top of the boxed fenders on the 951 as well as the rounded-ness of the 951 nose from some angles.

IMO, NEITHER mirror works 100% on these cars, both of them look "stuck on" and they are placed in a very bad place on the door, aesthetically. There may be engineering reasons for their placement, but it sure ain't line of sight or visual design based...

That being said, I am going 968 mirrors, handles, 17" cups, and 968 wing eventually, and in combination, these items work well on the car, in my most experienced and well-reasoned opinion.

BTW, that 288 is ugly. However, the flag mirrors are perfect for that overall design. Doesn't make them perfect for every 80s era car, though.
( I love ya, Luis! )
Old 10-07-2003, 01:02 AM
TurboTime
Instructor

I can't believe the response on this when I started it. I don't think I've seen more opinions other than an oil type debate. Thanks for all the inputs, maybe we should put this one to bed now???

SIMONK - your car is beautiful. Nice paint job! I'd be nervous to drive for fear of a rock chip at 100+ mph.

Seems like most agree positive on the new door handles but it's 50/50 on the mirrors.

Now let's start talking about a 3.0L 968 turbo'd engine in our 951s!

Cheers!

TurboTime
Old 10-07-2003, 01:42 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the door handle's.........i am not sure about the side mirrors.....is there alot of labor invloved with the swtich....??? I also want a front splitter and 968 wing on my car.....i hope i really dont have to change out the hole hatch.......although i could always go plexi glass.....or maybe lexan.......hmm......too many choices
btw ......glad to hear that i am not the only one running 18 psi of boost......how long do you guys think my bottom end will hold up.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:26 AM
TurboTime
Instructor

Well, my 17-18 psi has held up for over a year now. With my Guru stage II, I'm not too worried about it.
TurboTime
Old 10-07-2003, 03:51 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
FYI, I DO think that 80s Ferrari's for the most part are ugly, otherwise I would have one. I am seriously considering a 348TS, I just dont like the 288, 308, 328 or 440i.
Fully agree with you on the Don J. look...
...but like you said, everyone is entitled to an opinion -this is tangential to the thread of course- but I find it hard to believe that you would call the 288 "ugly." If you prefer the 348 to the previous 3-series F-car design, then from your preferences I understand you'd be happier with a more modern looking car. For others like myself, however, the 348 design was when the line took a big detour down the Japanese road of car design.

IMHO, the logic for keeping cars looking stock does not extend to what you're saying. Aesthetic upgrades are essentially different from performance mods. Nothing more fun than the "wolf in sheep's clothing" that many 951s on the road turn out to be to unexpecting newer sportscars. Likewise, I'll be the first to put updated lighting in a 356 but wouldn't consider changing its mirrors or door handles.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
Nothing more fun than the "wolf in sheep's clothing" that many 951s on the road turn out to be to unexpecting newer sportscars.
Nicely put.

IMO if the 944 was still looking "modern" by today's standards, the average car enthusiast would just think "Well, not bad but not quite above average ...", but the fact it still delivers such performance after all these years often make for greater respect from non-experts, indeed because of the dated-looking mirrors, the Golf headlights/door handles, etc.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

[i]Originally posted by Thom
....but the fact it still delivers such performance after all these years often make for greater respect from non-experts, indeed because of the dated-looking mirrors, the Golf headlights/door handles, etc...
AND the fact that it's a 4-banger...

Old 10-07-2003, 11:24 AM
icat
Race Car

I did the door handles before I did the mirrors. Having done so I'm qualified to express the following opinion on 968 door handles without 968 mirrors: Yuck! It doesn't look good. If you only do one, 'ya gotta do the mirrors.

If you don't want the aero mirrors, then I think the next best option is the painted door handles. I've also seen a 951 with aero mirrors and stock, but painted, handles. Looked nice.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luis - I dont know why it is but I just cant get into the look of the older (read 1980s) Ferrari's with the exception of the Tesstarossa (and it would have to have bigger wheels). The other big disappointment in the ones I have driven is the interior, it feels good but doesnt seem to go with my idea of a sportscar.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:46 PM
mochman
Pro

OOOOOOOOOHH!!!! Revered 3.0 conversion be still my beating heart.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 AM
RZ944T
5th Gear

I am replacing stock 86 951 door handles with 968 aero door handle kit. I was able to get the door handles installed using the existing actuator, but now cannot get the latches and the locks to work correctly. Does anybody have an answer. I am thinking that the 944 actuator may not work with the 968 handle. I tried replacing the actuator per Ken Foster's directions, but couldn't remove the old 944 actuators. Any advice from folks who have done this before? thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 02:01 AM
RZ944T
5th Gear

Hey Keith,
I am replacing the stock handles on my 86 951 with the 968 style handles per your directions. I tried to remove the stock actuator, but gave up and chose to use the stock actuator reduce the size of the actuator tabs on the 968 handles. BTW, had to reduce the width of both tabs on the handle not just the bottom one. Was successful getting the handles installed, but now cannot get the latches and the locks (manual) to work correctly. They both act as if they are jammed. Not sure what I did wrong. Any advice? I am wondering if the stock 944 actuator does not work correctly with the 968 style handle. Thank you very much for putting together the directions for the handles and the mirrors. I plan to do the mirrors immediately after the door handles.

Quick Reply: 968 mirrors & door handles