Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ready to call it quits

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003 | 11:32 PM
KW951
Advanced

Default Ready to call it quits

Well, I went to dyno my car today and wound up blowing the headgasket on the dyno. At this point I've come to the conclusion that none of the shops in my area have the expertise to tune my TEC-II setup, and I don't either. I'm ready to get rid of the project at this point, and I'm kind of wondering what people think it's worth.

'86 951 with 128,000 miles
Scott Gomes custom head, cam, turbo
TEC-II (all wired up, guages all work except the factory boost guage)
Apexi AVC-R (also totally wired up)
83 lb/hr injectors
huge Weldon fuel pump that is cockpit adjustable
full stainless exhaust by Tim Richards (CAT not on it right now, but I have an unused CAT that fits this setup that would be included)
intake from Danno

I also have Icesharks headlight kit but haven't installed it yet. Also have new (never on a car) 968 mirrors and door handles with all the parts, not installed yet.

The car would also come with an old pentium laptop to be used for tuning the TEC-II, as well as any of the 944 specific tools I have.

The car is red on black, with normal leather seats ... power drivers side. Typical wear to the drivers side bolster, and a very small tear in the passenger seat. Interior is 8-8.5. Exterior has the usual door ding or to and some paint chips on the nose. There is a crack in the paint on the under spoiler, and one large chip that was touched up on the left rear fender. Could use a detail job. Exterior is probably 7-7.5, a 10 foot car.

So what do you guys say? What do you think it's worth with the blown headgasket? What would it be worth if I fixed that and got it running again? Thanks in advance.

Edit - Forgot to add that it also has a Lindsay racing dual port wastegate, car is otherwise stock besides whats mentioned above. Also no LSD, airbags or ABS.

Last edited by KW951; 10-03-2003 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2003 | 12:18 AM
reno928s
Pro

Keith, I sent you a private message.
Old 10-04-2003 | 02:17 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Keith, I say stick it out.

You are close to getting it right. Just have to take baby steps rather than the huge leap. I'm sure guys here can help you get the tuning right.

Best of luck either way.
Old 10-04-2003 | 10:19 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

I know it's not what you asked for (I have a hard time standing by and yelling "jump" ), but Alan C. has a very similarly spec'ed car and he has had great support from his TEC
tuner Chris White. Certainly there are some difficulties with long distance tuning, but certainly not insurmountable in this day and age. Your car is sooo close to being a verifiable monster. It's certainly worth more running.
Old 10-04-2003 | 02:46 PM
Dave E
Pro

I strongly recommend hanging on to the car, but just park it and do something else for a while. I was at the frustration point you are at now in August and just walked away and forgot about it( well not really forgot, but tried not to obsess anyway). I got a request by the BMW club to teach a couple of days in late oct. and started work on the car again yesterday, so far the disassembly of the torsion tube carrier in back and refit of spring plate bushings that I put in wrong is going better than expected and will be done tomorrow. Hang in there!!
Old 10-04-2003 | 03:52 PM
KW951
Advanced

I appreciate the support from all of you. Unfortunatly I'm just at a point where I don't have the time or the money to keep fighting with it. I'm working full time, going to community college, and working on my commercial pilots license right now. Hopefully I'll be ready to start working as a pilot next year (which is going to mean a huge pay cut, but I really want to fly). I just have too much on my plate.

So I guess I'll just start in the classifieds and see what people offer me. Thanks guys.
Old 10-04-2003 | 04:46 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also agree on taking a little break, alot of us have been in the same situation and I for one am glad to have worked thru it.

A car with troubles will not bring much money IMHO

Best of luck to you

Quick Reply: Ready to call it quits