Do you see many 951's on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 03:09 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dave951M
Blood-

I've seen the same car and it's an na from what I've seen of it. There is also a 924S in an apt complex just off 52 down by Lex. I live up near Mt. Airy, but nobody knows where that is. I work in G'boro and see a red 944cab nearly every day on 40bus. There are a couple of 951s in my area, one of which is driven by the principal at my daughter's middle school. It's an 86 with very low miles and kept garaged. If you get the chance, come down to Ian's this Friday. There will be a number of 951s there, one of them is well worth the trip. If you do come, make sure to get a good look at Salama's car.
Where is this Ian's, what time, and should I bring money...cause I don't have any...lol
Old 10-06-2003, 03:12 PM
ewainwright
Racer

OUCH that plug bit. I see another 951 maybe ever other month here. I see a few 944, tons of 911s, 911 turbos and more Boxers than you would want to shake a stick at. Interestingly, I saw a red Testarossa today, a Lotus and a couple of Vipers this weekend. There are a lot of upper end cars here; however, very few 951
Old 10-06-2003, 03:33 PM
slinky
Burning Brakes

In Lancaster, PA I've seen only a few other 944s or 951s. Most of the time, they are parked somewhere and not in very good condition. I don't mean a couple of dings, I mean HUGE dents. I don't understand how anyone could drive around this way, whether they're in a Porsche or not. I mean, some of these people just have no personal pride whatsoever.

Anyway, I have seen a gold 944 (or 951, I'm not sure which) driving around Lancaster, mostly on Fruitville Pike. Does that car belong to anyone here?!? I'd love to know another Porsche owner in Lancaster!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:49 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blood- check your PM
Old 10-06-2003, 04:52 PM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by 2Tight
It's funny, it seems the 911 drivers never even acknowledge us as Porsche owners, but I always get a nod from the water-cooled set.

Steve
I'm certainly not challenging what you've experienced, but I hope every 911 driver isn't lumped into that category. There are lots of Porsche owners who don't wave and it has nothing to do with which model they're driving. I've found most 911 owners are very aware of other Porsches on the road and I nearly always received some type of acknowledgement when I was in my 951. I also just drove past a 996 who looked right at me as I waved. Who knows what kind of day they just had. There are many threads regarding waving using the Search function. The link below has a few comments about 944/951 owners who don't wave, just goes to show it's "Model Independant".

Saw a 951, wouldn't wave back!
Old 10-06-2003, 08:10 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Sorry I really didn't mean to indict all 911 owners because I know quite a few myself and they are Porsche to the core. It just seems to me that there are many owners of newer 911's, 993's, and Boxsters who really don't do their own maintenance, mods, or repairs to their cars. I think they have a hard time appreciating the sweat equity that goes into a good restoration of the 944 or older Porsches in general. I don't wave at other Porsche drivers either, but I sure look over their rides when sitting next to them at a light...when they can't even make eye contact regarding your admiration of their own car I think that's kinda sad.

News Flash..this just in! Maybe it's ME they don't want to acknowledge...probably think I'm trying to trade up the easy way!

Steve
Old 10-06-2003, 08:25 PM
fluid15

2Tight, I can understand what you mean when you're admiring other cars on the road. Last week I stopped to pick up a coffee on the way to work and saw a nice 951 in the parking lot when I came out. I walked over and checked it out for a few minutes hoping the owner would be returning, but they never did ...
Old 10-06-2003, 08:29 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Most people around here that are into Porsches either don't know what a 944 is, or hate them. Especially down at the Porsche dealership in Greensboro...I talk to anyone there who has a 911 or a Boxster, and they give me the cold shoulder after they find out the 951 outside is mine. Maybe it's cause I am 19 and they are much older (45+) but they really don't seem to like them, like their cars are better. I don't know.....
Old 10-06-2003, 09:12 PM
Jaxon
Racer

bloodraven- there is some arrogance on the dark side (911 owners), but there are also quite a few nice guys who love their Porshe's the way you do. Just depends on what crowd you run into. Age has nothing to do with it. Arrogance has no age limit.

I've even seen some techs who turn their nose up at 951. Then again I've had many who have told me never to make the move to a 911, that I'd be disappointed. On balance, most of those 911 guys are o.k. Visit their board and you will see what I mean.

Enjoy your Porsche. After all, after you have modified it a little, it/you will humble most of the arrogant with its performance. Life's to short, enjoy that 951!
Old 10-06-2003, 09:59 PM
fluid15

That's what's great about these boards - it's a place to admire whichever model of Porsche you own, or would like to own, or would just like more information. You can never completely avoid arrogant people just like you cannot avoid stupid people. They're everywhere, in every country.

At the end of the day, who cares if you car is faster than the guy next to you? The beauty of a Porsche is that it's about MORE than just speed. Can you get out of your car, know there are many "faster" cars, and still have a big grin on your face? If the answer is yes, you're getting the most out of Porsche Ownership (read: Satisfaction). For the guy who drives a modified Ricer, Camaro, Mustang, etc. - that's all they have. If they can't prove their car is faster than yours in a straight line, they're left with NOTHING.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:42 PM
JasonO
Pro

You should move up to Seattle if you want to see 944's, they seem to be everywhere around here!

And on a side note... maybe other P-car owners dislike 944's because they are bad luck! I swear to god my 944S is cursed, because in the 5 years that I owned the damn thing people ran into it 4 times and the engine decided it didn't like its current t-belt and wanted a rebuild (amongst other things, such as 2 master cylinders, a steering rack, etc. etc.)!

I keep the damn thing sitting around my parents house because I don't want to curse another driver with the car (they'd probably get hit by a jet engine falling out of the sky or something as they drove to the gas station...)

On the other hand, my 928 has been damn near flawless....
Old 10-06-2003, 11:35 PM
fluid15

Default OT: Waving

OFFTOPIC
Since there was just a few discussions regarding waving between 944's and 911's, I dug this up .... my intent to help minimize any negativity produced by those who choose not to wave - it happens across the board, including the owners of the newest models.

Quote:
I waved "back" to an older 911 who was coming in the opposite side of the road the other day...Other than that, not too many waves although I don't see that many p-cars in my neck of the woods. Bottom line: The world is not as friendly as it used to be. Self-centeredness(not a word but you get my point) and selfishness now rule society these days, unfortunately. It's a sad commentary on mankind.

- Owner of 2004 GT3 & Cayenne S
Old 10-06-2003, 11:51 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

In 10 years I've seen only a few 944s and one 951 in my area..and it was just passing through. Owner was a GREAT guy
Old 10-07-2003, 12:33 AM
sschmerg
Racer

I have an 86 951 in The DC area, northern Virginia to be exact, but I don't see too many either. I see regular 944's but who the hell wants those?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:18 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Quick Reply: Do you see many 951's on the road?