Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Restoration project suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016 | 08:53 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Default Restoration project suggestions

Finally after 12 years of ownership the car is finally getting restored starting now with the bodywork.

My mechanic is doing a killer job getting the body work and the paint work just right.

The color is the factory charcoal metallic and looking for suggestions I'm going with the 968 type spoiler. Either going bodywork color or black an The color is the factory charcoal metallic and looking for suggestions I'm going with the 968 type spoiler. Either going bodywork color or black

Also for the Fiske wheels i'm debating on painting the center caps the same black as the spoiler and leaving the polish lip or anodizingthe entire wheel black.

What you think ?

Old 01-14-2016 | 11:58 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by DrZ1
Finally after 12 years of ownership the car is finally getting restored starting now with the bodywork.

My mechanic is doing a killer job getting the body work and the paint work just right.

The color is the factory charcoal metallic and looking for suggestions I'm going with the 968 type spoiler. Either going bodywork color or black an The color is the factory charcoal metallic and looking for suggestions I'm going with the 968 type spoiler. Either going bodywork color or black

Also for the Fiske wheels i'm debating on painting the center caps the same black as the spoiler and leaving the polish lip or anodizingthe entire wheel black.

What you think ?

Steve - Don't think it matters per your questions but technically, that color is Graphite Metallic. Code LB7V

Anyway....for the record, I vote for semi gloss black on the base structure of the wing (bottom base and hatch glass sides) and body color on the wing plane.

On the wheels, defo keep the polished lip.

And yeah....the wheels centers....I'm thinking lime green...

T
Old 01-15-2016 | 12:01 AM
951and944S
Race Car

BTW - you must be one patriotic dude, there's an American flag everywhere your car goes (avatar).

Maybe you should repaint the car red/white/blue...?

T
Old 01-15-2016 | 12:37 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

May I suggest after you paint your car that you "wrap" the car with clear car wrap. At least the front and lower half. It helps protect against rock chips on an expensive paint job. My freind just had this process done on his 70' chevelle. Super nice paint job and I couldn't even tell the wrap was on it. I would think it's easier to rewrap the car in 5-7 years from now and have it look nice again then to repaint it.

This has clear wrap on the lower half of the car to protect it from rock chips. The owner of this car paints cars for a living. But he had his brother paint his 70 in this photo. I recommend using it because they do. I can fix the drivetrain. But I have to get advice from this guy for that subject info. The door is hanging on it's first lock detent, not shut. It a strait car.
Old 01-15-2016 | 12:40 AM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Default Nice Build

T and Steve
The car looks great in Graphite Metallic, that's one of my favorite colors for a 944.
I agree with T, satin Black for the hatch trim and the hoop spoiler in Graphite Metallic.
Polished lips with the Satin Black centers. I think you need an American Flag on the Roof, Ha Ha
Looks like we are in similar stages of our street car builds
Max
Attached Images    
Old 01-15-2016 | 12:45 AM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

T,
Are you ready to do the Transaxle
Max
Old 01-15-2016 | 12:58 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Max Energy
T and Steve
The car looks great in Graphite Metallic, that's one of my favorite colors for a 944.
I agree with T, satin Black for the hatch trim and the hoop spoiler in Graphite Metallic.
Polished lips with the Satin Black centers. I think you need an American Flag on the Roof, Ha Ha
Looks like we are in similar stages of our street car build.
Max
WooooHooo, a 944 body with a v8...makes me all warm and fuzzy....

I'm gonna give you a break because you have a proper shiny engine on the stand...

Is that the car that was at Kenny Allen's....and it looks like you have it home now...?

Eon went to Paul's the other day and when I saw him, he said "how did Max get my doors"....?

T
Old 01-15-2016 | 01:16 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Max Energy
T,
Are you ready to do the Transaxle
Max
Whenever.

You're talkin to a dude that took a totalled SP2, retubbed it complete with new paint job and a fresh engine, aligned and on the ground in 2 months....

I never stop...., working on a darned Jeep Wrangler right now stuck in two gears at once and I guess hanging around here isn't as constructive as I could currently be but hey, seems like old times.

I have seen quite a few people from way back on here tonight.

There's a young guy on the NA forums just starting out, doing DEs, with aspirations to eventually race..... kinda reminds me of Eon.

You got any second hand coilovers laying around to help him out...?

Or maybe even some factory Koni option 474 yellow adjustable cores that he can convert to double adjustable. Look for a thread over on the NA side with 'Ground Control' in the title on the 1st page if you can think of something.

I'll holler.....leaving for Charlotte on Wednesday till Sunday for a work trip, then we load up and head to Sebring the following week so not much free time for the next 2 weeks for me.

T
Old 01-15-2016 | 02:43 AM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

T,
Yes, that is the steel widebody that we did at Kenny Allen's Shop. Those are some nice doors on the new race tub. Good luck at Sebring. Call me when you guys get back an I will drop off the Transmission.
I don't have any spare Coil overs at this time. Once the new car is mocked up I will have a newly rebuilt(Racers Edge) set of Leda's for sale. I plan to put the Penski's on the new build and Moton's on the current race car. I will start looking for some coilovers for your friend.
Have a safe trip to Charlotte.
Max
Old 01-15-2016 | 02:47 AM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

T,
I do have some Kelly Moss Camber plates that I could part with really cheap for your friend.
Max
Old 01-15-2016 | 09:15 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Bump for DrZ's original post (poll).

Realized we took his thread off topic.

Sorry 'bout that Steve-o.

T
Old 01-15-2016 | 02:21 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Lol. No worries. Yes I think the bridge wing being body color would be great.

Just not sure of the wheels. All black also means not worrying about the break dust. Not that it will be a daily driver though. I have tried to polish out a lot of the damage from break dust without to much success
Old 01-15-2016 | 09:30 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Steve,
I have some Kinesis that I have had powder Coated both in Gloss Black and Satin/Semi Gloss Black
If you would like to see them it would give you an idea how your wheels would look in black. If your car is at T's we could put one of my wheels on your car.
Max
225 573-0664
Old 01-16-2016 | 06:08 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Max,

Thankyou for the offer. Your car looks great, a constant evolution from the car I saw many years ago.

I wish I was proficient at photo shop. Seems like that would be the easiest. Will see if I can find someone to do this. If not your offer would be most helpful.

Thanks
Steve.

Quick Reply: Restoration project suggestions