Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any DIY threads for assembling NEW 968 door handles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:04 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any DIY threads for assembling NEW 968 door handles?

I bought the complete kit new from Porsche as an upgrade on my '88, and am finally getting around to having them painted. Unfortunately the only info I can find for installation pertains to swapping used units that are already assembled.

Are there any DIYs out there for assembling new kits for install?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:15 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

good luck, doing door handles on these cars is a swear fest. LOL
It's tight quarters and there's a slim jim guard in there to make matters worse. I was in there a few years ago just to swap out the gaskets between the handle and door. There's also the micro switches to deal with that are part of the central locking system. I could never figure out the purpose of the central locking system. I ended up installing a keyless entry using all the wiring from it and 86ed the controller clamped to the steering column.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Which keyless system?

Apologies to the OP for the topic slant
Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

No one else?
Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I swapped in a set of used ones but I can't imagine that a new set would be much different. Swapping the locks, etc from the old handles to the new handles was really easy. It is the installation of the handles into the doors that sucks.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:52 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Get a really long flat head screwdriver to R&R these. A second set of hands helps a lot too. Not sure why Porsche decided to make this system so Rube Goldberg when the VW Golf's were so simple...
Old 01-12-2016, 11:12 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, the process is very straight forward. You'll need to attach the chrome trim plate to the handle first, then swap the lock cylinder bracket from your old handles to the new ones. You'll need a small (IIRC 5/32"?) punch to remove the roll pin holding the bracket in place on the old handle. The lock cylinder is drop-in and the hardest part is getting the spring aligned properly. Do yourself a favor and grease up the spring with lithium grease to make the movement smooth for the next decade or so. When you go to swap over the lever arm for the actual release mechanism, you'll be using a different style roll pin from the 944 handles. The hole is larger than the 944 handle so it's not an interchangeable part. I've got some at the house if you're short on them, they're yours for the actual part cost and shipping if you need them.

Finally, I *highly* recommend swapping the handles per the FSM, i.e. remove the inner door panel, remove the window, the rear window track and gain complete access to the handle and mechanism from behind. This is key to correctly setting up the handles so they work smoothly and consistently for years. Since your handles are brand new, it will be a bit more involved than just removing and reinstalling the handles. I know it sounds like more time/effort than necessary, but the payoff is the ease of adjusting everything before you button it back up. And once you've done one side, you'll see it only adds about 45 minutes to the total job and you won't have to do any contortionist moves to mess with the handles.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:50 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

Originally Posted by ramius665
Brian, the process is very straight forward. You'll need to attach the chrome trim plate to the handle first, then swap the lock cylinder bracket from your old handles to the new ones. You'll need a small (IIRC 5/32"?) punch to remove the roll pin holding the bracket in place on the old handle. The lock cylinder is drop-in and the hardest part is getting the spring aligned properly. Do yourself a favor and grease up the spring with lithium grease to make the movement smooth for the next decade or so. When you go to swap over the lever arm for the actual release mechanism, you'll be using a different style roll pin from the 944 handles. The hole is larger than the 944 handle so it's not an interchangeable part. I've got some at the house if you're short on them, they're yours for the actual part cost and shipping if you need them. Finally, I *highly* recommend swapping the handles per the FSM, i.e. remove the inner door panel, remove the window, the rear window track and gain complete access to the handle and mechanism from behind. This is key to correctly setting up the handles so they work smoothly and consistently for years. Since your handles are brand new, it will be a bit more involved than just removing and reinstalling the handles. I know it sounds like more time/effort than necessary, but the payoff is the ease of adjusting everything before you button it back up. And once you've done one side, you'll see it only adds about 45 minutes to the total job and you won't have to do any contortionist moves to mess with the handles.
Thanks Aaron!!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:00 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow really? I guess if you have the electric locks in there yes pull the door panel. If not, its a phillips head and a pair of needle nose. Tape the door around the area just in case you slip. Pinch the roll pin to one side and pull it out the back. Hardest part is getting it all at once.....
Old 01-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.944s2.com/default.htm

There is a good link to 968 door handles and mirrors under Cosmetic, can't believe the site is up after all these years.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:10 AM
speedfreak81
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ski
http://www.944s2.com/default.htm

There is a good link to 968 door handles and mirrors under Cosmetic, can't believe the site is up after all these years.
The site is up, but the link itself in the article is dead.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:04 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dan - 968 door handles are a lot more difficult that the 944 handles. The only trick I've found that makes it easier is to attach them to the door is to remove the pin on the actuator arm. Attach that first inside the door and then carefully put on the door handle and insert the pin back in. Depending on how much slack is in the microswitch cord you might have to pull the door panel just to get some slack.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:41 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

Originally Posted by Josh B
Hey Dan - 968 door handles are a lot more difficult that the 944 handles. The only trick I've found that makes it easier is to attach them to the door is to remove the pin on the actuator arm. Attach that first inside the door and then carefully put on the door handle and insert the pin back in. Depending on how much slack is in the microswitch cord you might have to pull the door panel just to get some slack.
I already have the driver's side door panel off (really wasn't that much work) so I might as well pull that, and the rear window channel guide anyway to make the job easier.

Quick Reply: Any DIY threads for assembling NEW 968 door handles?