Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

K26/6 Turbo Impeller question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:57 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K26/6 Turbo Impeller question

Had the J-boot off this weekend and looked at the turbo impeller. Car pulls hard but I am wondering if it is not up to its potential with the impeller in this condition. There doesnt seem to be anything that could be done without taking the turbo off the car. What do you folks think? If it aint broke, dont fix it? I am getting up to about 13 PSI boost with my current setup.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:22 PM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

Dude. That impeller is MANGLED. Swap that turbo posthaste.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would replace that impeller. It looks like debree hit it.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:34 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How much play does it have? If it feels tight and it is still boosting strong I'd say keep it and start looking for a good replacement. Then swap it at you're convenience. Of course I'd make sure to change your oil and coolant and check for metal shavings. Also I'd remove the intercooler and flush it out in case something is sitting in there . it definitely was making contact with something. Check in and out play as well as side to side.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Originally Posted by mahoney944
How much play does it have? If it feels tight and it is still boosting strong I'd say keep it and start looking for a good replacement. Then swap it at you're convenience. Of course I'd make sure to change your oil and coolant and check for metal shavings. Also I'd remove the intercooler and flush it out in case something is sitting in there . it definitely was making contact with something. Check in and out play as well as side to side.
I'm being honest when I say this is bad advice to keep driving it in that condition. If you have metal shaving go into the cylinder then the pistons and bore will get scored up. It's not worth not replacing that wheel. If you can't find one then PM me. I have a k26/6 in peices and I will never use.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:21 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a great upgrade, a lighter compressor wheel spools up faster....

But really not. If you're lucky, all the pieces of shrapnel have gotten stuck in that oily intake sludge most 951s have and you havent done any damage to the cylinders.

-Pull the turbo off and replace it ASAP.
-Remove the intercooler and take it to a radiator shop ( or truck shop ) to have it professionally flushed.
-Remove the intake manifold and intercooler piping and clean EVERYTHING.

Or leave it alone, drive it the way it is, and enjoy low compression and seriously scored cylinder walls as a result
Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
I'm being honest when I say this is bad advice to keep driving it in that condition. If you have metal shaving go into the cylinder then the pistons and bore will get scored up. It's not worth not replacing that wheel. If you can't find one then PM me. I have a k26/6 in peices and I will never use.
I didn't say to keep driving it in that condition, a flush of all fluids and a good cleaning is in order, which is why I said that. A shinny compression wheel doesn't hurt a thing, it's the pieces that rubbed off the wheel somewhere in the system that are dangerous. If all the shavings are removed and the system is clean of all debree then as long as the turbo play is normal ( which is unlikely) and boosting normal I would just start shopping for a new turbo, or pieces to fix yours. K26-6 parts are very common and not too expensive. Obviously running it hard would be a bad idea. For all we know that turbo could have malfunctioned in the past from a previous owner and some repair shop took a grinder to it instead of replacing it in a rebuild. I don't recommend using that turbo for longer than you have to.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:53 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

LOL, the advice on this forum is ludicrous.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:58 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by use2windsurf
Had the J-boot off this weekend and looked at the turbo impeller. Car pulls hard but I am wondering if it is not up to its potential with the impeller in this condition. There doesnt seem to be anything that could be done without taking the turbo off the car. What do you folks think? If it aint broke, dont fix it? I am getting up to about 13 PSI boost with my current setup.

That turbine wheel is gone and all the particles are already on you oil system, you be lucky if they hadn't scored your cylinder walls. Drain the oil, flush the intercooler and change that turbo which it needs to be rebuilt.
Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2015, 07:09 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lart951
That turbine wheel is gone and all the particles are already on you oil system, you be lucky if they hadn't scored your cylinder walls. Drain the oil, flush the intercooler and change that turbo which it needs to be rebuilt.
I agree with this statement, but what is interesting is how the wheel is scored but the nut isn't. The housing is also not scored. This suggests the turbo was taken apart and someone did some grinding on the wheel and reassembled it, possibly with new bearings and seals. If that's the case then it might be that one in a million case that it looks bad but isn't. Especially since the turbo is boosting normal. Just interesting. It's better to be safe though.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

You should NOT use that turbo with out it being repaired or replaced. And it's out of ballance along with what you see. Do you have a AFM with stock air box still? If so make sure the three bolts that hold the box to the AFM under the air filter are still there. I had one back out and turn my impeller to a smooth cone. That was 16 years ago on my first 951 I got off the lemon lot in Fort hood from a butter bar, I knew nothing about these cars then. And flush everything like everyone has stated multiple times.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

That turbo is toast and you are beyond lucky if the cylinders are not damaged. Dont push it.

Impeller is balanced part and this one is not balanced anymore, that means it vibrates and vibrations at 150.000 RPM are bad news, if the pieces that are already in the system didn't damage the engine, exploded impeller most definitely will.

Dont even start this engine anymore. Replace turbo, take off all intake parts and clean them well. Otherwise big rebuild is coming your way.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try turning the car on and off?

(sorry just seems to obvious that the compressor wheel is damaged)
Old 12-08-2015, 02:04 AM
Molly
Instructor

Reboot it.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:17 AM
Molly
Instructor

Took this for ya to compare just now, as my j-boot is off too... 130K miles, stock, never touched.

Quick Reply: K26/6 Turbo Impeller question