Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ok, PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR $.02 (X post)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 07:12 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR $.02 (X post)

Well don't think I am giving on porsches yet. I'm just trying to weigh some ideas in my head. You can see a list of what I have into my 951 in my sig. What is not listed there is that: the koni yellows are blown, the phone dials look like crap, there is a different crappy tire on every wheel, the paint is some of the worst I have seen, there are MANY dents and scrtches, I have blue Sparcos that were bought for a silver track car and make my red car look cheesey. I still need at LEAST: bigger turbo, Bigger injectors, tunnning device, tuneing, lots of suspension things, wheels, tires, bodywork, paint, seats,ect. Presently my engine is in fare condition, but will soon be in great condition. It has less than 4k miles since the rebuild which replaced everything. I was still having a problem where my temp would rise at idle. It never got very hight, but it was not perfect like I would like. I am replacing the rebuilt pump with a new pump as well as fixing a small oil leak from one of the balance shafts. ( I replaced all of the seals during the rebuild, but forgot to replace the spacers which are a bit worn) Once this little project is done I will be left with a very stong 2.8 engine that is ready for the bolt ons to make it a monster. The engine just laid doen 265 ft/lbs and 312 ft/lbs of tourgue at the wheels running 11psi. I can repost the dyno charts but they show that I was running rich.

I have very little money to spen on my cars. That is why I have non of the bolt ons. I only had the money to build the engine at the time, though I think this turned out to be a much better idea than throwing a bunch of go fast parts on an old worn out motor. I am tired of only working on my car and not being able to enjoy it. That's not why I bought this car. Right now it will be a long time till I have the money to get this car to the point where I can enjoy it. with the paint the way it is it's no fun to take to shows or even crusing around, the suspension wont let me have fun with it at the track, and though it is quick, I don't have the money to add the last few things.

Here is my idea. I will get the engine the engine tuned and have a cutom chiped burned during the tunning. I will have the whole carand engine cheacked out at one of the many local Porsche shops so that I can have a list from a source other than me of the condition of every pice of the car. I would then part out the engine as a whole (every single pice), ant then every other pice of the car, but the shell. I would then sell another car that I have. The combined money would be spent on a nice clean well cared for 944s2, s2 cab., 951. This car would be used as a fun weekend car and kept stock. Slowly over time I would build my dream 951 with the shell that I kept. I would most likely take me till I'm 30 (i'm 21 now) but it would be fun since it would not be rushed. Also if I started from scratch and took my time I could build a flawless monster with only the best of everything.

So, what do you all thin? Am I crazy? Should I just suck it up and slowly keep pluging away at what I have? Also I realy need to know what you all think I could get if I did this. How much could I sell a 2.8 for as well as the rest of the 951 parts? Would I be crazy to think that I could get at least 5k for my motor and maybe around 7k total? Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:15 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Oh, one more thing. Am I also crazy to think I could find a nice well cared for 944s2, s2 cab. or 951, for $7500-$10k? I know you can find anything, but are nice examples found in this price rang? My 951 was only $5500 but was nowhere near a nice example.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:33 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a tough call, and depends on how much you can afford. These cars are very expensive to maintain. I'm hoping I've replaced everything that's likely to go, but then there's always something new. And my car has decent paint and there's nothing that's in need of replacement at this point

Just don't expect to get your money out if you sell.

I'm in it for the long term.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:44 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$20 worth of paint ,sandpaper and a little elbow grease and your wheels will look like new.

Buy used shocks from someone who has upgraded

sell or trade your seats

My point is just keep plugging away as you can.

You might (will) take a loss if you try to part out IMHO
Old 09-28-2003, 08:55 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by *eurospeed951*
Oh, one more thing. Am I also crazy to think I could find a nice well cared for 944s2, s2 cab. or 951, for $7500-$10k? I know you can find anything, but are nice examples found in this price rang? My 951 was only $5500 but was nowhere near a nice example.
shoot me an email mibuck@vt.edu

We may be able to help each other out!
Old 09-28-2003, 09:20 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

If you want a nice condition-no hassle car go for it. If you want to be able to keep your rip snortin' beast you can do it without a lot of hassle. David's right. An afternoon and a trip to a local small powerdercoater will have your wheels dialed. New adjustable insert for your koni's (I assume you're talking about the fronts) are only $75 per side from Paragon. So on and so forth. Resurrecting stuff can be fun and relatively easy.
If not, ditch it and go the lower hp but nicer condition route. Your outlook is everything.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:18 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

ok, sorry to post and never return (computer problems and midterms) First i want to thank all of you for taking the time to read my windy post. Like I said before this was just something i was thinking about. It's not that I will never have the money to finish the car, it's that it will take some time. From what most of you said and after doing some more thinking I think I will just keep building on what I have. A different, crazy fast, nice looking 951 is what I want in the end so I might as well just keep working with what I have.
As soon as my turbo water pump arrives and I install it, I should at least have a nice, strong, fresh engine. I guess the next most important thing will be the tires. I have already painted my phonedials, but I hate those wheels and I don't want to spend money on tires for wheels I don't like and will some day be getting rid of. Winter will be here soon so i guess my new goal is to get some wheels and tires before spring.
Thanks again
Old 10-01-2003, 06:53 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

It is obvious that you have thought about this for quite some time, and its nice to see that sort of passion about our cars.

But I do think you over thought yourself, I agree with David, work with what you have first. Sure the car is rough, but then why would it be your start for the dream 951, you would be running into the same paint issues with that, and the dings and dents would still have to be worked out. So you could just continue to drive you car, and then work on it as you go. With a good deal of effort you can make a lot out of what you have. There are a lot of people that have cheap 951 seats (I have 2 sets, they need to be recoved, but there are now kits for that) and always people looking for race seats.

And if you need help with the wheels I'd be happy to help out, i've now pained 7 sets, and they seem to be getting better and better. Phon dials can be made to look great with just the right sort of prep work.

Good luck with what you choose, but yeah getting those new tires is a must....
Old 10-01-2003, 07:01 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Eurospeed951, I am looking for some seat(s). Drop me an amail and let's talk.
Thanks,

Quick Reply: Ok, PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR $.02 (X post)