Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo matching for 16v racemotor

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 01:41 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by thingo
We turned the head around for a better exhaust manifold, i.e. Shorter which gives better response;and to separate the hot and cold sides of the engine, so we could have lower intake temps. I don't think it necessarily increases the peak power much on the dyno, it's to make it quicker on the track.
The mount on the rp968 is just fabricated from steel, I'm intending to get one cnc'ed when I turbo my street 968.
Yes, exactly the point I was making. Wasn't actually expecting more/less power. Was just implying that we may or may not be able to use exactly the same turbo as yours if we can't get a usable response with the turbo on the 'wrong' side. For now we're stuck with it in this config and also wanting some good usable tq to help work with the clunky H pattern 'box. The less we shift the better in general terms. That we were able to do a 1:31 and could do a 1:30 today with the 2.5 / 8v / GTX35 is fine, but for us to move into the .28's we need a much more tractable motor than this one so can't go too large on the turbo just for massive top end power.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:00 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You should make a constant velocity transaxle setup for your car. Then run the engine at peak torque RPM's for your run. it's hard to believe someone having a turbo shifting smoother then Dukes. But the idea and use of a CV transaxle would be the equivalent of using an electric motor with 500+FtTq right when you pushed on the go pedal. In theory that would be faster around the track. In fact I'm feeling spunky, I double dog dare you to make one. You might be five seconds faster then that Evo that win this year. And if you don't think you can then you should read my top acronym and remember it.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:03 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

If you intend to go with twin scroll EFR setup, be sure to order exhaust housing in advance as the wait time for stainless AR 0.92 twn scroll wastegated housing is 3 months.

My engine is patiently waiting for one.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:17 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yes, exactly the point I was making. Wasn't actually expecting more/less power. Was just implying that we may or may not be able to use exactly the same turbo as yours if we can't get a usable response with the turbo on the 'wrong' side. For now we're stuck with it in this config and also wanting some good usable tq to help work with the clunky H pattern 'box. The less we shift the better in general terms. That we were able to do a 1:31 and could do a 1:30 today with the 2.5 / 8v / GTX35 is fine, but for us to move into the .28's we need a much more tractable motor than this one so can't go too large on the turbo just for massive top end power.
If you run a twin scroll setup it will be straight away a lot more tractable, the 8374 will be more responsive, but I see it almost like using a 3076 against a 3582 in this instance, the 9180 will spool up a lot better than your old 3.1, they are great turbos.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:41 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
You should make a constant velocity transaxle setup for your car.
You build the 1st one and I'll buy the 2nd. :-)

Originally Posted by Voith
If you intend to go with twin scroll EFR setup, be sure to order exhaust housing in advance as the wait time for stainless AR 0.92 twn scroll wastegated housing is 3 months.

My engine is patiently waiting for one.

I suppose that might depend on where you're sourcing it and which particular housing you're after. May be more demand for some vs others?

Originally Posted by thingo
If you run a twin scroll setup it will be straight away a lot more tractable, the 8374 will be more responsive, but I see it almost like using a 3076 against a 3582 in this instance, the 9180 will spool up a lot better than your old 3.1, they are great turbos.
Yes, I pretty much figure that's where we're heading. Just get tangled up in that Matchbot thing without the necessary tools. ie knowledge and experience.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

This type of exhaust housing. Supposedly BW is having much trouble keeping up with demand and since it is so complex, only 40% of investment cast housings come out good, rest are recast. They are using multiple cast methods now and some sand casted look like ****. Ive ordered it from uk supplier and they have a wait time of 10 weeks directly from BW USA. At least they offered a good price, locally this (bw 12701008016) housing costs 900€.

http://performancebyturbo.com/sklep/...-TechPages.pdf

Old 12-04-2015, 10:14 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
You should make a constant velocity transaxle setup for your car. Then run the engine at peak torque RPM's for your run. it's hard to believe someone having a turbo shifting smoother then Dukes. But the idea and use of a CV transaxle would be the equivalent of using an electric motor with 500+FtTq right when you pushed on the go pedal. In theory that would be faster around the track. In fact I'm feeling spunky, I double dog dare you to make one. You might be five seconds faster then that Evo that win this year. And if you don't think you can then you should read my top acronym and remember it.
Not sure of the torque rating, but Subaru makes a pretty good CVT these days, and it's already the right "shape"
I've done the hard part already, found one that looks like it should fit...now you guys just need to bolt it in and wire it up...get to it already

Old 12-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Not sure of the torque rating, but Subaru makes a pretty good CVT these days, and it's already the right "shape"
I've done the hard part already, found one that looks like it should fit...now you guys just need to bolt it in and wire it up...get to it already

K. It's done. Now you buy it.

Quick Reply: Turbo matching for 16v racemotor