Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who is running alternate Engine Controls DME KLR

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:58 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

No exaggeration, from a pure time-spent perspective it's much more. But most of that is "i'm going to go for a drive and if I find an area of the tune that feels like it could be improved, i'm gonna pull over really quick and change some cells." It's not really bad...once you get the car driving, it's intuitive and actually enjoyable. For example I've had my setup installed for months and this morning I was messing with the air density correction curve on the way to work cause the weather got cold. It's normal and nothing to really get worried about.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:46 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

^^ Agreed.
Another benefit of having full control over the tune is the ability to swap engine components (cam, turbo, etc) without needing assistance for a retune. If I try to think of all the time I have spent driving with the laptop open there is probably 200 hours in there, because it adds to the fun and keeping a third eye on what's going on in the engine becomes natural after a while. On a car that's driven in most weathers, the IAT fuel trim takes a while to get right, etc.
To some extent the access to the tune and the search for getting it perfect keeps the interest in the car alive after there's not much left to do in terms of mods. I installed my set up in 2010 and still have fun playing with it.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Michael and Thom.

I think there are polar ends to the drivers on the forum. Those, as yourself, who enjoy the ongoing tweaking. And another group, who desire good performance, with the ability to easily troubleshoot issues as they occur, my group.

The Tweaker group has lots of insight into how these cars operate. And by posting good logs, or ECU displays, can show allowable values for operation. Like you posted Thom, and your video Michael.

The existing ECU on these cars is very robust, and old. When the car does not run correctly, we are left to the change parts approach to solving issues. My desire would be a good Check Engine lamp (CEL) with specific codes for the issue. Lots of 1990-2010 (maybe later) have all encompassing CEL codes, like on my 1999 4Runner. (so I have a CEL code but it can be lots of things within one code) The expectation here is with other users of aftermarket ECUs, we can dump some logs, to get help from others using the same platform.

Quick Reply: Who is running alternate Engine Controls DME KLR