New DME and KLR plus a lot More

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New DME and KLR plus a lot More

Ambitious project for 944 and 944T.

I am starting the thread with my list of form/function/interface options. Thinking the ownership of the project could take the form of money and or skills contribution. You could be paid for your time or have ownership in the result or both.

Leaving the new work plug compatible to the existing DME and KLR allows the restoration of the vehicle at some future date.

The dashboard option, say an Apple or Android device, solves the issue of cutting hole for gauges, as there is just not enough space in our cars for all the possible gauges we would like to have for very specific purposes; think EGT, lateral G's, acceleration, testing,... And the Dashboard could be spread over multiple display devices.

Porsche 944 and 944T New DME
Functionality:
1. Incorporates the existing DME and KLR sensors and output
2. Additional AIT post intercooler
3. MAP
4. AFM or MAF selection
5. Wide Band O2
6. Vehicle speed sensor and RPM, for gear determination
7. GPS for location, elevation, and speed
8. Control signal for waste gate, analog output
9. Fuel pressure input option
10. EGT option
11. Lateral G sensor option with analysis
12. Ignition spark retard on boost with dash display (see below)
13. Digital outputs for Methanol injection
14. Digital output for intercooler spray
15. The new AIT to be coded to recognize item 13 and 14 air charge temp change, and flag if not achieved
16. Incorporate error codes for all operating sensors beyond OBDII
17. Plug compatible with Porsche DME and KLR
18. WIFI or Bluetooth interface for setup and data display and recovery
19. Multiple tune configurations with wireless app selection
20. Allow phone app to display real time error codes and dashboard. The dashboard could be a note sized tablet device, for multiple indicator displays
21. High speed A/D for MAF, MAP,…
22. Data archiving all parameters previous 1 hour or more
23. Performance measurement for acceleration and braking testing
24. USB port for continuous archiving/backup
25. Injector report for fuel specific usage
26. Individual injector fire option (will require some wiring change)
27. RPM drop test for injectors, at idle to evaluate injector operation, with report. Basically each injector is turned off sequentially, and the RPM drop should be the same. Note ISV is inhibited for the test.
28. Exhaust gas pressure, pre and post turbo charger.
29. Fuel mileage displayed on dashboard along with expected fuel mileage for 944T
30. Fault analysis for individual sensors with allowable working range
31. Engine hour meter, teal time clock, with tracking for run time and last run time. Useful to evaluate heat soak.
32. Valet mode engine functions
33. Security lock with code to immobilize car, may incorporate hidden over-ride switch or keypad, for phone failure.
34. Closed loop auto tune for the injectors, calibrated at idle, and several constant load point of operation
35. Input table to allow for alternate equipment; like 3 bar FPR, or larger injectors, aluminum flywheel (down RPM offset for fuel on)
36. Dashboard displays over multiple display devices, for primary, secondary, and beyond, display information
Old 11-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I'm not sure I understand this? You want to make a new ECU from scratch or what?

Good standalone should do most of these functions but wont be that cheap imo.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

I want to consider the outcomes defined above. If current systems provide some or all of the functionality and can be folded into the existing, then that is a good starting approach.

My evaluation of the original platform (DME and KLR) is they were great for 35 year old tech. Pushing these cars with current air side options and turbos, requires a much more robust system.

So i wanted to put out a set of outcomes, above. And get feedback from those who have used other systems for fuel and timing control.

For example I would add knock sensor reporting to the above list.

My impression from reading the threads by others, is that there are upgrades for some portions of the systems; fuel, spark, boost, dashboards. These are to some degree available, with varying degree of successful outcomes.

A good example; is I am building an 87 944T as a test dog for some product ideas. On a hake down run, after an engine reseal and new turbo the engine was idling at a perfect 14.7. on the wide band O2. A spirited run and the wide band goes to 15.3 at idle. I know I have popped loose a vacuum hose. And yes the small hose on the brake booster had come off, as there is very little barb on this fitting. An Oetiker clamp fixed the problem.

This level of diagnostics is simple to implement for our cars with the electronics available today.

So the point of my email was to gauge the interest in developing a comprehensive 944 (or any older Porsche) solution. Staring with the premise to use existing wiring and sensors (option) with a lot more functionality.

I am not looking for a science project, with continuous rework. I would rather stay with the known systems. And hang the new sensors and dash board as supervisory.

With the number of people pushing these cars, I think we could fund and develop (or modify) a product to meet the needs.

Just think if the fault diagnostics, say the Reference sensor voltage is out of range, for example. Much better than getting out the O scope, for those of us that have an O scope.

The software could be open source, for multiple contributors.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

I was hoping to get more feedback. I know there are some systems out there to do bits of the list. The auto analysis for the engine would be light years beyond the current trouble shooting experience. Each sensor could have allowable ranges, when compared to other sensors.

Maybe the 968 ECU is an improvement.

For example if the real time clock shows the engine has been several hours the water temp and the AIT should be in agreement.

The computer can be programmed to use the best knowledge base from experienced tuners for analyzing performance issues.

I would like some comments.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a look at this.
http://www.augmentautomotive.co.uk/a...rsche-944-ecu/
Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link.

I reached out to Tom for discussion.

The WIFI/Bluetooth dashboards are critical to our understanding the engines and cars. We really have very little available car dash. So virtual dash boards for diagnostics would really help.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:58 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VEMS SETUP ~ $1000

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ecu-951-a.html

AugTronic -
£720.00 - AugTronic ECU upgrade
Dyno tuning for turbo:
Required (+£540.00)
= £1260 converted to US $ = $1905....that outrageous!!!!

I'm not associated with Raceboy at all, but at $1000 more, something is not right.

Last edited by fiily; 04-19-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:01 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly you may as well find a already made board from what ever brand and reverse engineer it and create your own software for it.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:08 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 for VEMS, I've got it in an Audi and will be using it with my 968. Even better now that there is a plug-n-play option. With the VEMS bluetooth adapter you can easily make an android tablet your dash, or there's also the VEMS LCD display (similar to zeitronix).
Old 11-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

VEMS can do almost all of the functions you requested sans G-sensor and OBD diagnostics. It also has GPS support

But, Plug and Play VEMS units are a bit more than 1000$, especially if requested options are included.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Cheburator
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the augtronic system on my car...

I love the plug-and-play, now Tom has developed an even better ECU, which I will be the guinea pig for. Test day on the 12th Dec, stay tuned
Old 12-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

it turns out there are a lot of interesting ECU systems for sale. Some with more functionality I prefer. Good new is there are systems to help us out.

Thank you all.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wolf has plug n play option + an iPhone/iPad app for gauges and data logging that works with a Wi-Fi dongle. I think it can do most of what you are after.

Quick Reply: New DME and KLR plus a lot More