Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 07:01 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lindsey MAF?

I have decided on going with an MAF system and am leaning toward Lindsey's but another option would be Autothority.

I have seen that the Autothority system maintains stock like drivability and the set up is a good performer despite the lack of tunibility. Then considering I would be tuning with my A/F meter I dont know how accurate the LR maf would be. LR advertises that there system is totally tuned with the A/F meter but would I be wrong to think that an A/F meter vs Autothorities already mapped chips would be much different. In fact I think that experts like Autothority would have done so many maps on a dyno that they would be closer to the right A/F ratio that I could get using an A/F meter in my car.

Those of you who have the LR or Autothority systems let me know what you think of them and anyone else who has knowledge on this matter please feel free to speak out.

TonyG, I sent you an email on this subject.

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 09-27-2003, 02:55 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I currently have a Lindsey MAF, I have owned an Autothority MAF, and I just bought a car that has a Guru Stage II MAP. I haven't had a chance to play with the MAP setup yet, as the car won't arrive until next week, but between the two MAF kits, the Lindsey wins hands down.

Its not a fair comparison tho, as the Autothority that I had did not have the Power Perfect controller that the Lindsey has on it, and trying to tune a MAF without a PC based controller is a joke, in my opinion.

Just a guess on my part here (I won't be sure until I spend some time with it), but I am pretty sure I will pull the Guru Stage II and put the Lindsey MAF on the new car. The reasons for this are that 1) I am more familiar with the MAF and am comfortable with what it has to offer, and 2) I believe that the MAP has an inherent problem with the off idle response for a car that is running a Motronic system. The reason for switching has nothing to do with any of the bad press Guru has received lately, by the way.

Regards,
Old 09-27-2003, 05:03 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

i own a lindsey racing maf on my car....and i love it.Tuning is a dream with the power perfect system....and .......as far as performance i have been very very pleased with the system ..the torque curve is amazing.Definetly go with the lindsey unit....call dave and ask for his advice he really knows his stuff and wont steer wrong.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:47 AM
87Porsche951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Lindsey Racing MAF, I looked at the Autothority MAF also but after talking with a few folk who have or had there MAF I decided to go w/ Lindsey. Autothority MAF Kit didnt look very well made. Also when i emailed them and posted questions to Autothority and they would take forever to get back to me and a few times never got a response from them.

Every question I emailed to Dave he replied within 24hrs.

From what i seen w/ Autothority MAF it isnt very tunable w/o a PC and alot of people dont have a Laptop to carry around in there car.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:14 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Correct me if i'm wrong but the lindsey maf is a Pro M check out there web site. www. pro-flow.com/
Old 09-27-2003, 11:03 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I havethe APE unit and would recommend anyone buying now to go with Dave Lindsey's unit. Much more tunable.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:28 AM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

What about the other MAF kits. How do they compare with the lindsey.
Huntley Racing MAF vs Linssey MAF and whats the performance differences and prices.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:29 AM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

What about the other MAF kits. How do they compare with the Lindsey.
Huntley Racing MAF vs Lindsey MAF and whats the performance differences and prices.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:16 PM
blitz951
Pro

SH951,
I want to maintain stock like drivability so I agree with you and you statement about MAP's.

PK951,
I think PRO-M makes the unit for all the companies selling MAF's which is a good thing because they have a great deal of experience. The reason why I dont buy from them directly is I think its a good idea to buy from a company like Lindsey who can give me a complete kit and knows the car so that they can trouble shoot or help me tune the car. I think this is worth the extra money as I am no expert and will likely need some help.

'86 944 TURBO,
I can't speak from my own experience but others have told me that ARC system has required constant adjusting and has also caused engine damage in the wrong hands. I don't know about SFR's system's but I feel most comfortable with the LR and Autothority. The other issue is the LR price is hard to beat and considering I already a have an A/F meter I will get another $100 off the price.

The one consideration I still have is about the Autothority's pre mapped chips VS tuning with the LR MAF using my A/F meter. I know that being able to tune is a great idea but I don't know how accurate an A/F meter is and that is why I am still considering the Autothority unit. If I had access to a dyno that would be different but I will tune using my A/F meter so what do you guys think?
Old 09-27-2003, 01:18 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Don't tune using the AFR meter unless it it is a wideband unit. Go with the dyno time for your tuning.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:24 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Trust me on this one, you do NOT want to assume that the Autothority unit will come properly "tuned" for your car (or any car, for that matter). It won't be, regardless of any claims they make and you will need to go through the same tuning process to gain the benefit of running anyones MAF.

The main things you are looking for in a MAF are the tuneability options and an air inlet temp sensor. If someon eis offering a unit that tunes with four ***** and has no inlet temp sensor, you are basically spitting in the wind as far as trying to tune it, you will never know where you are gonna wind up, but you can be pretty sure you'll have spit blown back in your face before you are done.

As for Huntleys MAF, he's been around about as long as anyone, but I don't have any experience dealing with his products, so I will let others speak for them if they want to. Last I heard, he was able to get the same Link products as everyone else, so I imagine the game is pretty equal on that count. You might ask others about the support that Derrek gives as well, I know he's spent a lot of time on the phone helping peopl etune those MAFs over the years..

Vitesse also makes a pretty nice MAF kit, with the "piggyback" unit that is a nice way to go, plus John's support is top-notch. The Vitesse was my first choice, except I got a heck of a deal on the Lindsey (thanks Sam and Tony G!).

Bottom line, I would vouch for Dave at Lindsey or John at Vitesse, if you are looking for a MAF.

Regards,

Last edited by User 41221; 09-28-2003 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:04 AM
87Porsche951
Instructor

Lindsey Racing MAF uses the Pro M meter.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

bingo
Old 09-29-2003, 12:46 PM
TurboTim
Banned

'86 944 TURBO,
I can't speak from my own experience but others have told me that ARC system has required constant adjusting and has also caused engine damage in the wrong hands. I don't know about SFR's system's but I feel most comfortable with the LR and Autothority. The other issue is the LR price is hard to beat and considering I already a have an A/F meter I will get another $100 off the price.

We have another type of MAF system that we will be releasing very soon. It is laptop programmable. You can make real time adjustments and datalog as well.It is very cool.It also uses an internal map sensor in conjunction with the MAF so you get the best of both worlds. We are expecting to release the basic kit(which relocates your airfilter to the headlight area) for $1099.

Quick Reply: Lindsey MAF?