Looking for specific details about Australian delivery 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 12:25 PM
KKKturbolader
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for specific details about Australian delivery 951

I'm struggling to find reliable information with regard to several things:

What is it's exact model/designation? - It was manufactured in August 1988 and sold in Australia the same year.

Wikipedia mentions 30 Cup car deliveries to Australia and 30 in total for all turbo year models:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_944#Production

Could it really be a Cup car? The bloke who sold it didn't seem to indicate anything extra special, although it came with phone dial wheels he had put on, instead of the Design 90 ones (1" and 2" wider at front and rear, respectively) it originally came with,. He gave them to me for free.

Also, whatever it is, which exact version of engine management software is it running? I believe it's Bosch Motronic with dual DMEs but which version and where can I read up on it?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Last edited by KKKturbolader; 10-12-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:42 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've often wondered about that ref in Wikipedia about 30 cup cars going to Oz. I think it is more likely that it was 30 Turbo S cars ... they were called Cup cars in some european markets.

Have a look at Paul Allens thread on tracking down 9 of the US cup cars. This will give you some clues with regard to the special features of these cars, the most obvious being strut brace, magnesiom intake manifold, small black lightweight mirrors and coil over suspension all round. Plus of course cage. There are examples of cars being converted back to road trim so who knows.

Post up some pics and I'm sure there will be plenty of folk who will both welcome you to the brotherhood and give you some help on identifying the spec of the car.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:26 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is the link to the Turbo Cup thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-cup-cars.html
Old 10-12-2015, 06:17 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't believe we got any 944 turbo cup cars here besides the 1 ordered by Alan Hamilton in RHD that he drove in Porsche sprints and later by fitzgerald in targa.

http://944turbo.net/?p=695

If by slim chance you have a cup its easily identified with its magnesium intake(it will be painted,instead of sand cast finish) and magnesium phone dials. They had other bits like their square strut brace unpainted flag looking mirrors. If you have some pictures of your car, post them up and I'm sure the guys on here will help with what you have

Quick Reply: Looking for specific details about Australian delivery 951