Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Torque Wrench Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:51 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have two Snap-On digital that i bought second hand 10+ years ago, had them refurbed and recalibrated. The battery goes dead within a month in storage (every time i take it out of my box the battery is dead!) and the LCD screen stopped working again, i have to press and hold the handle a certain way to get it working. I wont bother fixing them again (this would make 3); i talked to my Snap-On rep not too long ago and he said this is very common for the older digital ones like what i had. The newer ones are much better. Since i didn't like the digital's, i went Craftsman Microtork and have one ive been using very regularly for over 10 years now for my wheels. The locking ring on it finally cracked, but it still works. I bought another one while they were onsale. Quite happy with the usage ive gotten out of it, but then again i am very careful with them (The plastic handle probably wont survive much abuse). I was very happy with the Craftsman Digitork wrenches from maybe 3-4 years ago but i dont think they make them anymore for some reason.

Regardless i much prefer click type; my friend recently turned me onto Precision Instruments. You can get them through Amazon. From my reading and as far as i can tell, these are the same thing as the Snap-On ones. A plus also is they are made in USA still. When my Craftsman die finally i will go with these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+torque+wrench
Old 09-16-2015, 11:21 PM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Wrench Recommendations?

Originally Posted by Techno Duck

Regardless i much prefer click type; my friend recently turned me onto Precision Instruments. You can get them through Amazon. From my reading and as far as i can tell, these are the same thing as the Snap-On ones. A plus also is they are made in USA still. When my Craftsman die finally i will go with these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+torque+wrench
+1 precision instruments. They used to make the snap on wrenches. Get a split beam torque wrench that way you don't have to remember to loosen the handle everytime. They are also apparently more tolerant to abuse.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a Precision Instruments split beam, 3/8". I've had it for years, I love it! I'd highly recommend looking at these. The head pivots a tiny bit, which is surprisingly helpful.

The range is from 16 to 100 lb*ft. I only use it from 16 to 75. For anything over 75, I use the basic Crapsman 1/2" clicker. It goes from 25 to 250 lb*ft.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:12 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Craftsman Digital it works great. i had it tested a couple of times and its still within spec
Old 09-17-2015, 02:48 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just tested my 7-year-old 20-150 torque wrench from NAPA (made in Taiwan) versus a loaner torque wrench from O'Reillys. Assuming the loaner is somewhat accurate, mine is off by 10lbs under 100, and it's off by 20 lbs at 150 (I have to set mine at 150ft-lbs to get the same torque as the loaner at 130 ft-lbs). So, I'll be in the market for a new torque wrench as well, since I"m about to upgrade my cylinder head. Would love to hear more feedback from people that really like their torque wrenches and have confirmed that they stay reasonably well calibrated over time.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:23 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snap on... end thread

Unscrew the bottom slightly to disconnect the battery on the digital ones when not in use and the batteries will last for a long time.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:41 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
Snap on... end thread

Unscrew the bottom slightly to disconnect the battery on the digital ones when not in use and the batteries will last for a long time.
This is true for just about any torque wrench requiring batteries. I take them out completely to avoid the possibility of a cell leaking while in the wrench.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:52 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I only use Snap on. Have my 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 drive that i started with 8 years ago when i started at the Dealership. I recently bought this and love it! I have never and will never trust a click style.
https://store.snapon.com/TechAngle-1...e-P649917.aspx

When i was researching what torque wrenches to buy i could never understand buying a torque wrench that you couldnt use 50% of the range - the click style specifically said that your couldnt use the bottom or top 25% and be within the 6% accuracy that it was quoted at.

I will agree with the frustration of the snapon plastic handles, i just had my 1/2 and 3/8 rebuilt and they did update them to the newer smaller flatter cap but the handle will still split lengthwise. I was actually looking at the 1/2 version of the above torque wrench this week considering buying the all metal 1/2 digital but need to finish paying for that one first.

Mark
Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stahlwille- period. Nothing feels better. Best Torque wrench. German
Old 09-18-2015, 12:15 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Stahlwille- period. Nothing feels better. Best Torque wrench. German
Should be. They're crazy expensive, even on Amazon.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have owned my PROTO click style since 1986 and it's within a pound of accuracy.

250 lb, etched numbers on a rotating hand grip, gnurled finish on the grip. Came with a plastic case for storage and protection.

One of my tools I am most proud of.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:53 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't a professional, it's CRAZY to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on a torque wrench, on anything but a racecar.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:32 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh dam.. These car get torqued nuts and bolts? I thought that sence it was a german car the torque specs were "goodntight". I have all different kinds of torque wrenches. Old school snap on dial, clicker craftsman, dial generic, Harbor freight clicker, I like to bust them all out to look like I'm using them, then just tighten the said fasteners by hand. Till its goodntight.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought it many years ago. It's probably my favorite tool. As a car nut I can't express how excited I am everytime I use it. I can't describe it. I often loan it to people at the track that come back to me and say wow. Kinda sicko but there is something about Stahlwille. I bought their ratchet also. Probably my second favorite hand tool. Just something about them. It just has a certain feel.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:04 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha- its funny how often im tightening something thinking, "i should put a torque wrench on this" its more just because i have them than anything, i can get pretty close.

Mark

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench Recommendations?