Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Are teflon scrapers noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:38 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Are teflon scrapers noisy?

Those of you running teflon scrapers, do they change the sound of the engine? Did they make noise before they bedded in, and if so for how long?

I'm trying to pin down a strange noise from my engine. The bottom end sounds like a diesel....I suspect the sourd comes from my home teflon scrapers and a self made metal plate windage tray.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

REmove and try again?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm troubleshooting now but I'm hoping to hear from those who may have experienced some noise or change in sound from their scrapers.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:34 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

? Fill me in. Are you using Teflon devices to scrape oil off your crankshaft? New to this mod. Not new to an oil baffle but I have no idea what a Teflon scraper is.? Thank you in advance. And if it sounds like a deisel that's cant be good!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

bebetufs: if your scraper is home made nobody has one like it & all bets are off. Id take it off and try again.

Humboldtgrin: google isihara johnson..
Old 08-27-2015, 11:38 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks, but it's not coming off. It's part of a package of mods. Besides, I don't want to compromise the Loctite 574 by undoing the main bearing nuts. My scraper is a modification of my IJ non-teflon scraper so to all intents and purposes it is 95% similar to many other scrapers out there.

What I need to know is if some noise is normal, so I can judge the situation better and determine if the noise comes from the scrapers, the windage tray or it's mounting bosses, the windage ports I've milled in the block, the baffles, or something else much more serious.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:44 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

When fitting a crank scrapper, it should be very close to the frank but not touch. The purpose is the scrap oil without touching the crankshaft. If you manually cranked the crankshaft NY hand to check for clearances then you should be good to go. And Teflon scrappers or metal ones should not make noise because it shouldn't be touching the crank.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:57 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Actually the whole purpose of the teflon scraper is to have it touch the crank. The crank will grind away the teflon assuring the closest fit between the scraper and crank possible, that's why it is superior to the non-teflon scraper.

Now the question remains, do other peoples teflon scrapes generate some sound from the oil cloud being forced around it?

(I appreciate all the efforts to help and all the suggestions, but I repeat that I'm hoping to hear from those who run teflon scrapers. Just to make it clear. The engine has done appr. 40kms with no change in sound. I have removed the sump, and close inspection shows zero indications of anything wrong. No loose bolts, no traces of parts inteferance, the cylinder walls are perfect, the rod bearings have been checked and look pristine, the oil is clean....I have removed the windage tray and will start the engine without it. If the sound is still there it must be from the scrapers. I am hoping someone can help me make up my mind as to how much noise I should tolerate/risk as the sound may indicate some parts are subject to high stress/vibration which could cause fatigue cracks to develop. I don't want anything to work itself loose and interfere with the crank.)
Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mine makes no noise
Old 08-28-2015, 01:35 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dizzyj
mine makes no noise
Thank you. Did it make noise at any point during break-in?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:49 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
Thank you. Did it make noise at any point during break-in?
Never

I trimmed mine so it barely touched the crank. I could spin the crank with a wrench
Old 08-28-2015, 08:07 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

So did I...but My Wössner rods might pass at a different angle.

This is strange. I might never be able to find the exact source of the noise then, unless it is the windage tray itself. It will be interesting to see what happens when I run the engine without it today.
Originally Posted by dizzyj
Never

I trimmed mine so it barely touched the crank. I could spin the crank with a wrench
Old 08-28-2015, 10:29 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not suppose to make noise. you need redo it, before you make some serious damage.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:56 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Removed windage tray and tried again but the sound remains the same. The crank does not hit the teflon on the scraper any more and can be easily turned with a ratchet as long as the plugs are out.

I've started a new, more trouble shooting focused thread in the non-turbo forum. You can find it here if you want to follow this. There is a new video there as well.

Quick Reply: Are teflon scrapers noisy?