Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil level sender

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:41 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Oil level sender

The 86 turbo I am building now has the LR harness with the oil level wire.

If I put my spare oil pan with the sender attached will the 86 gauge cluster work to show oil level?

The pan the car came with did not of course have the oil level port in the pan.

Anyone ever try this?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 08-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The cluster doesn't show oil level. It's a safety device. It just turns on the idiot light when it's low. Don't know if it will work with an 86 computer. That oil level sending unit is the only difference in the turbo engine wiring harness form 86 to 87. I would check out some DME schematics. Good question.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:49 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have to upgrade your cluster as well. There is circuitry in the cluster to light up the dummy light with the low oil light. I just put a new cluster in my car, and the cluster had previous used the oil light where my original didn't. I had to add a ground wire to disable the cluster from saying low oil constantly. The low oil cluster just checks for a ground via the sensor. If it gets a ground the light goes off on engine start up. If not the low oil light stays on until you restart your car and a ground is met on start up. The early cluster doesn't look for this ground. Therefore won't work. You need to get the late cluster, then add the ground wire into the cluster ribbon closest to the driver side. It runs to a flat black plug near the dme. I believe there's about 8 wires or so going to it. Lastly, the harness for the sensor in the pan
Old 08-17-2015, 12:05 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Figured that it would be something like that.

Thanks,

Jason

Originally Posted by mahoney944
You have to upgrade your cluster as well. There is circuitry in the cluster to light up the dummy light with the low oil light. I just put a new cluster in my car, and the cluster had previous used the oil light where my original didn't. I had to add a ground wire to disable the cluster from saying low oil constantly. The low oil cluster just checks for a ground via the sensor. If it gets a ground the light goes off on engine start up. If not the low oil light stays on until you restart your car and a ground is met on start up. The early cluster doesn't look for this ground. Therefore won't work. You need to get the late cluster, then add the ground wire into the cluster ribbon closest to the driver side. It runs to a flat black plug near the dme. I believe there's about 8 wires or so going to it. Lastly, the harness for the sensor in the pan

Quick Reply: Oil level sender