Replacing Fuel Lines, Sanity Check

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:17 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Fuel Lines, Sanity Check

Sanity check time.

Brought the car in for it's inspection sticker and it passed without any issue, but the porsche tech. did mention my fuel lines are getting rusty due to the PO driving the car on salt infested winter roads and it would be a wise investment to replace them.

Lindsey makes the braided tank to fpr lines http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944FUELRET.html for $119.

Has anyone installed this kit? Any caveat's? I was also thinking of buying the Genuine Porsche Fuel Line Holders, 15ft of SS -6 fuel line & 15ft of SS -8/10 fuel line, fuel injector clamps, and fittings all online, which cuts the costs down significantly over the LR kit and replace the return and supply lines.

I bought the http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...9442-SFLK.html kit, which is not necessary once the above SS line kit is installed, so I would just resell it.

I replaced the fuel jumper line this past winter with larts ss jumper line, so that's fine.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:39 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

SFR also sell a stage two stainless braided fuel line kit from the fuel filter to the engine bay and a return line as well. Might want to check that option out too. Never have delt with them yet thou.
I think Lindsey fuel lines is just fine with what you want, and most of us have delt with them with out issues.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:07 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Fuel Lines, Sanity Check

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
SFR also sell a stage two stainless braided fuel line kit from the fuel filter to the engine bay and a return line as well. Might want to check that option out too. Never have delt with them yet thou.
I think Lindsey fuel lines is just fine with what you want, and most of us have delt with them with out issues.
I would avoid SFR fuel lines. I bought that kit and their fuel rail kit. Both lines failed within a year. The supply line caused an engine bay fire. The fuel rail leaked installed according to the instructions. Maybe a fluke. But I will never touch any fuel supply products from SFR again.

I don't always see eye to eye with Lindsey. But I have never had quality problems with their merchandise.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:07 PM
fiily
Pro

$1499

http://speedforceracing.com/product/...2-fuel-system/

I'll do some research and save $1400, I don't need anything that robust.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:11 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by rluciano
I would avoid SFR fuel lines. I bought that kit and their fuel rail kit. Both lines failed within a year. The supply line caused an engine bay fire. The fuel rail leaked installed according to the instructions. Maybe a fluke. But I will never touch any fuel supply products from SFR again.

I don't always see eye to eye with Lindsey. But I have never had quality problems with their merchandise.
Ugh, that is what I am trying to avoid, an engine fire and leaking fuel lines.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:36 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fiily
Ugh, that is what I am trying to avoid, an engine fire and leaking fuel lines.
Replace with factory lines then.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:17 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

How rusty is rusty? Is just surface rust or has it left pit marks? If there are pit marks, how deep are the pit marks? If the rust is localized you can always replace just that section.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:15 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by rlm328
How rusty is rusty? Is just surface rust or has it left pit marks? If there are pit marks, how deep are the pit marks? If the rust is localized you can always replace just that section.
The tech. did say he can cut and replace sections, but I would rather rip and replace the hardlines as you can see they are quite nasty, I'll proabably do a ss braided line for supply/return and not worry about it for another 25+ years.

Looks like my brake lines are suffering the same salty fate as the fuel lines, might as well do some Nicopp/Cupro Nickel brake lines also and be safe.

Did I mention I hate salt?

Last edited by fiily; 04-19-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:23 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The lines themselves look okay its where they are connecting up that look iffy.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:21 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by rlm328
The lines themselves look okay its where they are connecting up that look iffy.
Lart will likely have all the rusted factory connectors as shown in your picture. Factory fuel lines are best of breed, but you can buy the same hose and replicate.

Insulated/braided flex fuel lines are superior, but not necessary. I've chosen this route only where there is heat, otherwise you'll see top notch black fuel line. Pic of my fuel line attached to the fuel rail. I pulled back the insulation to show the braided lines/fittings used.

Prior to replacing the rusted factory fittings, consider converting the rust under your car to a paintable surface. Did this on my Duramax, works. http://www.corroseal.com/rust/convert-rust.aspx

G
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2015, 01:38 AM
fiily
Pro

Default Calling LART

My fuel filter line connections are just as nasty, good ol' New England, they know how to make the best of them rot away.

The fuel filter line & connections to the gas tank are inexpensive and simple to replace, it the rest of it. I'll pm lart and see what he has available for fuel lines from sunny salt free road's of CA.

Lart....pm incoming.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:18 AM
George D
Drifting

My fuel filter line connections are just as nasty, good ol' New England, they know how to make the best of them rot away.

The fuel filter line & connections to the gas tank are inexpensive and simple to replace, it the rest of it. I'll pm lart and see what he has available for fuel lines from sunny salt free road's of CA.

Lart....pm incoming.
OT: I was born in Maine. You're not likely from that faar up North. My partner/bd's largest office is in MA. Was just in CT, NYC, Boston, and Maine. Love New England in the summa.

G
Old 08-16-2015, 10:14 AM
fiily
Pro

It's nice up here in NH during the summer. The winters are brutal, especially this past one, and we don't ski,snowmobile, I just snowblow a lot.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:51 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My fuel system on my car is -8AN from the pump to the rail.

The short return line is from the Lindsey kit.

Pegasus Auto Racing has some nice fittings to modify a high volume pump or O44. They are the -6AN stainless steel fitting. I drilled them out slightly larger to flow better. There are a couple of pics I posted on here if you search under my posts.

I recommend only using fuel fittings that are made in the US. Some of the generic ones are mad in China. I personally avoid anything from there

Get yourself some Aluminum wrenches for fuel lines too. They are super cheap. I also bought some stuff from Jegs but not the Chinese ones. The Jegs brand fittings are made in China.

Aeroquip, Canton, Russel, Aeromotive are made in the US.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:50 PM
George D
Drifting

It's nice up here in NH during the summer. The winters are brutal, especially this past one, and we don't ski,snowmobile, I just snowblow a lot.
We were in RYE, NH for a week last month. Saw the "blue moon" while surfing that night!

Quick Reply: Replacing Fuel Lines, Sanity Check