Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No start fixed! But need enlightenment as to why

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:49 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts
Default No start fixed! But need enlightenment as to why

Had a no start issue recently. Starter motor would turn over the engine but engine would not fire. Tach would not bounce while engine was turning over. Had my mechanic check the ref sensor which ended up being fine.

After re-charging the battery, the car fired up.

Questions: Why would a low battery cause a no -start. The battery had enough power to turn the starter motor and crank the engine. Is there some threshold voltage or current that needs to be achieved to fire the plugs? Why would the tach not work with a weak battery?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:28 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It probably was weak enough the starter didn't spin fast enough.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:07 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 261 Posts

The connection to the sensor was bad. Having your mechanic test the sensor fixed the connector problem.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 931guru
The connection to the sensor was bad. Having your mechanic test the sensor fixed the connector problem.
Yep that's my thought. The charging of the battery did nothing. Moving around of the connector to the sensor is what did it.

The wires corrode inside the connector, and you wind up with flaky connections. Likely you need a new sensor and new sensor harness.

Next time it happens, just wiggle/jiggle the connectors and try again. It'll probably start.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You all maybe right with the reference connection. But I think it's the flux copasitior that was low on mojo juice. Once the mojo juice was applied the car didn't die... I could be totally wrong thou.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:24 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

What was the voltage of the battery when it wouldn't start? I know there is some safety mechanism in the DME or KLR that impacts running when the battery voltage gets too low, but not sure if that keeps the car from starting.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

It's because your starter was taking all the avalible amps from the low battery to turn the engine over. Not enough left to send to the coil. It's that easy. The coil need to see 10 volts. If the starter takes it under 10volts then a week to no spark with an engine that turns slow won't start. It can't even make enough compression. You charged the battery and you had enough to start.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:13 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Might be worth looking at this thread, about the supplemental cables at the battery that were loose.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-no-start.html

Also, how did the tech rule out the speed and ref sensors and harness? You'd have to pull all 4 boots off to inspect all failure points, and even then you can't be 100% sure because the break can occur inside/under the epoxy and not be visible.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:51 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

If you got your car running and would like to check connections, or possible broken wires inside the harness, then do a wire wiggle test while the car is at idle on the reference and crank sensors.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:23 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

"You all maybe right with the reference connection. But I think it's the flux copasitior that was low on mojo juice. Once the mojo juice was applied the car didn't die... I could be totally wrong thou."

After reading about all the electrical quirks that are possible with this car that is not far from what I was starting to think as well.

It's because your starter was taking all the avalible amps from the low battery to turn the engine over. Not enough left to send to the coil. It's that easy. The coil need to see 10 volts. If the starter takes it under 10volts then a week to no spark with an engine that turns slow won't start. It can't even make enough compression. You charged the battery and you had enough to start.

I can believe this possibility.

If you got your car running and would like to check connections, or possible broken wires inside the harness, then do a wire wiggle test while the car is at idle on the reference and crank sensors.

Will do. Thanks.

What was the voltage of the battery when it wouldn't start? I know there is some safety mechanism in the DME or KLR that impacts running when the battery voltage gets too low, but not sure if that keeps the car from starting.

Don't remember. It reads between 12-14V now. Thanks. Will check it out. I think my mech checked the resistance at the pins at the connector to the DME.

Might be worth looking at this thread, about the supplemental cables at the battery that were loose.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo...-no-start.html

Also, how did the tech rule out the speed and ref sensors and harness? You'd have to pull all 4 boots off to inspect all failure points, and even then you can't be 100% sure because the break can occur inside/under the epoxy and not be visible.

Thanks. Will check it out. I think my mech checked the resistance at the pins at the connector to the DME.

Thanks to all for the speculations. I think there is no simple answer to this one. Just going to keep replacing as failures occur.

Quick Reply: No start fixed! But need enlightenment as to why