Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car is Stalling, Idle valve or vac leak??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 10:37 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is Stalling, Idle valve or vac leak??

This weekend my car stalled a couple of times once the gas was let off and coasting. Pulled over, started right up and was fine. Then it gradually got worse as the weekend went on and now starts up and stalls right out. I turned up the idel screw and that helped a litle bit but now stil stalls.

I check for any vac lekas and did not see or hear any. Also, have full boost. Could it be the idle stabilizer valve??

Of course now I hear from the wife, "if you would stop messing with it all the time it might not do this kind of stuff"

help!!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:46 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

haha!

Tell her you're not *messing* with it, you're *fixing* it.

My guess would be a leak as well.
Do you have a boost gauge, and is it reading less at full warm idle than before?
Did you check the clicking on the TPS? -> although I don't think it would cause this, more like a high idle.

try Unplugging another vac line and see if it behaves the same

You can run the car to a shop and have them smoke the intake system with one of tho smoke leak finders... should cost you just $30 and can save a headache.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:18 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Ok, so you think it is more likely a leak???

I will go through it again. Yes, it did seem to get worse as it warmed up.

The boost guage is reading same as normal. Except as it starts to stall the the vac reading goes down.

So just pull any vac line and test???
Old 09-16-2003, 10:47 AM
MySwiss
Pro

When cold,go around your intake manifold (where it mates with the head) and see if you have a broken intake gasket (you will get a suction). Also check your vac/boost gauge to see if you 15in/Mg or more at idle. If your vacuum is lower then 15,this will confirm a leak in the intake system.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Sami951
Drifting

I'll need to check this too... with the engine cold, I get like 12in. Once it warms up a bit, it'll show around 15in, then after some more driving it'll go down to 17in ... lowest I've seen, right after a rather lengthy and spirited drive, was 19in. Engine braking gets it to ~22in...
Old 09-16-2003, 11:23 AM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

My car did something similar and it was the ignition coil? I replaced that and all the wires. Upon inspection of the coil I saw tons of corrosion. I may be way off base, but this was what seemed to fix my problem.
There is also a Relay for the DME i believe. You might have a problem with it once the car is warm? Another area that I have found to be a problem for me is on the throttle body itself. there is a hole in the very top of my throttle (intake) it appears there should be a brass fitting or some sort of tube there, but there is not? I can let my car idle and it runs horrible. Then if I get out and put my finger on that hole on the intake it runs as smooth as anything?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:20 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Usually have 18-20 vac once warmed up, 14-15 cold. I can't check this now as the car starts then settles to idle then stumbles and stalls to quickly to get a vac reading.

I just put on new DME relay in the last couple of weeks. I can check the coil. I actually just got a new Blaster 2 coil. Had to wait to put in on as the stock coil wire did not fit the Blaster tower.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:28 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Ok, I start it and rev to about 3K and let the revs fall back down, then watch vac guage and is holding about 16-18. So that seems in check. DME relay seems fine. I will put on the new coil today as I just got the new coil wire.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Sounds like its running rich at idle, maybe bad FPR or dampner??????
Old 09-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Bii
Advanced

toodk911,

What is the condition of your distributor cap and rotor? Tiny cracks on the face of the ignition rotor can cause an intermittent stall your describing.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:51 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Cap and rotor less then 3 months. Didn;t notice any cracks when I double checked all the plug connections.

FPR is 3 bar from GURU which is about 1 year old. Dampner looks stock or at least pretty old.

Seems almost easier to diagnose a car that won;t start at all *** opposed to once that just is running bad

Any chance it is the speed/reference sensors?? They were just serviced recently, but they are pesky little buggers.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Bii
Advanced

Any chance it is the speed/reference sensors?? They were just serviced recently, but they are pesky little buggers.

toddk911,

Do you mean the sensors were replaced?

A failing speed and/ or reference sensor can also cause your problem.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:02 PM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

Maybe the Throttle Position sensor? Mine actually had the cover come off and oil get all over the inside. I cleaned it out well and by luck found the cover. Since I have taped it back on and I am watching it closely. If I can get everything running right I will glue her backon with some good heat resistant glue.

The speed reference sensors, Are those the two wires that connect within the metal bracket in the back of the enginge? 3-wires in each. Mine dont even have covers they are just plugged in?

You pulled your plugs and looked at them too right? also make sure that clear or amber colored KLR vac line is plugged in correctly.

Does your car have a cycling valve, or is it bypassed with a reliaboost or something similar?

Dont forget that idle screw that I am at the time missing? 3$ from porsch should have it Thursday for my ride.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:12 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Ok, Mutzman has been hleping on AOL im. It idles fine if I spray ether and idles fine and for a while if I keep spraying ether.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:23 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

No not replaced, just fixed up with a better connection. So they could still be a problem.

Quick Reply: Car is Stalling, Idle valve or vac leak??