Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fixed - wideband going rich to lean on WOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed - wideband going rich to lean on WOT

This is just for posterity, as I've seen numerous old posts where a wideband AFR reads rich then goes way lean all of a sudden (and stays lean until off throttle). This was the issue with my AEM 30-4100. Under acceleration, the AFR would go down to high 10's / low 11's then suddenly swing way lean (off the other end of the scale). No knocking, loss of power, or anything else to substantiate. Rogue had advised offline that it was probably the sensor, which seemed reasonable in the absence of other symptoms (I checked spark plug tips, tried some different FQS, have some soot on back bumper indicating rich if anything, etc).

Finally got around to replacing my sensor (AEM-30-2001) and it is indeed the case that the old sensor was scrambling under rich condition. Now that the new sensor (AEM-30-2001) is on, what is really happening is that AFR works it way down to about 10.5 under full throttle and stays there until shifting. I'll dig into the rich AFR later, time to get ready for trip to Outer Banks NC

In a nutshell, if you get similar behavior from your wideband, replace the sensor first. In fact, I'd probably replace it every two years or so - easy to do.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:13 AM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good tip.Where is that sensor located?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:23 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah I am experiencing wonky readings as well. It will stick at 21.8 and then suddenly act normal and then it will go up to 22.8 etc.

I am thinking it may be a short in the wiring.

I have an Innovate LC-1
Old 07-31-2015, 10:48 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fejjj
Yeah I am experiencing wonky readings as well. It will stick at 21.8 and then suddenly act normal and then it will go up to 22.8 etc.

I am thinking it may be a short in the wiring.

I have an Innovate LC-1
Go look at innovates site. They updated their firmware and switched to a bosch 4.9 sensor instead of the 4.2 which had some major failing points and required recalibration often. The new sensor requires a new wire (the one that connects the gauge to sensor) its smaller and has better reviews. The 4.9 sensors have a great reputation and I hope makes the innovate units much more reputable. I really like my innovate mtx-l and with a good sensor it should be perfect
Old 08-01-2015, 04:47 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Fixed - wideband going rich to lean on WOT