Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front end alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 05:31 PM
RonD.
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front end alignment issue

88 951 non "S" April 2015 Had 4 wheel alignment performed all is good. Hit large pothole steering wheel goes out of center. Car still tracks straight with steering wheel out of center. Have 2nd 4 wheel alignment all is back to normal steering wheel straight, etc. Put several hundred miles with no issues until yesterday. Took drive no potholes rough roads etc. steering wheel is out of center again. Car tracks straight with steering wheel out of center. Any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

I just when through this with my 87 951.

Check the support bushing on the steering rack. The driver side bushing restrains the rack lateral movement. On mine the bushing had failed, oil leaks destroy the rubber, allowing the rack to move right and left under hard steering loads. The give away is that the car steers normally, but the steering wheel position, when driving straight ahead moves around. Depending on last hard turn.

New bushing and all good.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:57 PM
RonD.
Racer

Thanks . I'll check out the rack.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:02 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I always check the bolt tightness after alignment. My experience is that many shops do not get everything tight enough, especially for track use.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:19 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
I always check the bolt tightness after alignment. My experience is that many shops do not get everything tight enough, especially for track use.
Very true!
Old 07-28-2015, 03:33 PM
RonD.
Racer

Rack bushings are in perfect condition. Could it be tie-rod ends? They look fine, boots are good.Proper way to test tie-rods? Did tire test holding tire at 9 and 3 o'clock and have play equal on both sides. No play wheel bearing test at 12 and 6 0'clock.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by RonD.
Rack bushings are in perfect condition. Could it be tie-rod ends? They look fine, boots are good.Proper way to test tie-rods? Did tire test holding tire at 9 and 3 o'clock and have play equal on both sides. No play wheel bearing test at 12 and 6 0'clock.
You might mark the rack and check to see if it's moved next time the steering changes... Looks can be deceiving.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:56 PM
zermatt944t
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem and it's worst at the track. I have a cross threaded bolt on the driver side steering rack busching support. I suspect a lateral movement of the rack as a possible cause of this situation.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:01 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RonD.
88 951 non "S" April 2015 Had 4 wheel alignment performed all is good. Hit large pothole steering wheel goes out of center. Car still tracks straight with steering wheel out of center. Have 2nd 4 wheel alignment all is back to normal steering wheel straight, etc. Put several hundred miles with no issues until yesterday. Took drive no potholes rough roads etc. steering wheel is out of center again. Car tracks straight with steering wheel out of center. Any thoughts?
It is likely that you bent something if the steering wheel was off-center right after hitting the pothole. I'd take a good hard look at the tie rods, they bend pretty easily.

If you can't find anything, take it back to the alignment shop, or find another alignment shop that specializes in Porsches, or at least does a lot of track cars. There are diagnostic angles that can be measured to help determine what is tweaked.

Originally Posted by zermatt944t
I have the same problem and it's worst at the track. I have a cross threaded bolt on the driver side steering rack busching support. I suspect a lateral movement of the rack as a possible cause of this situation.
Dude, you knowingly run your car at the track with a cross-threaded fastener for the steering system??? Fix that **** before you go out again! Guys like you scare me.

Chris

Quick Reply: Front end alignment issue