Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 02:24 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Sad/Funny story

Sad part of story:

I've had an increasingly bothersome problem now for a few weeks. Whenever I drive the car for more than a few miles and then shut the engine down, the car refuses to start unless I pop open the hood and let the engine "air out" for 5 to 10 minutes.

Searching the archives, I noticed a lot of guys linking this behavior to leaky injectors. When I mentionned this to my mechanic he said it was plain old "vapor lock" from too much engine heat. He might be on to something because it only happens when the outside temp is above 75 F.

Now, wednesday evening, I went to pick up my 13 year-old from his doctor's appointment (Nothing wrong with him, just a regular checkup). I parked the car and let it sit for 5 minutes. When we came back out it refused to start. As a matter of fact, it continued to refuse to start for the next 2 hours at which time I just gave up and left the car in the doctor's parking lot. I went back the next morning and the car was very slow to start, but did finally start. Any ideas?

Now for the funny part:

While sitting in the car with the hood popped open, this guy came up to me asking: "Is this Porsche really refusing to start?". I said yea and proceeded to describe the problem. He made a shrug and said he could not help me but he felt sorry. Then he asked me:"Without being indiscreet, how much is this car worth...100 grand?" I answered that it actually was a 17 year-old car and was maybe worth 10 grand. His answer was: "I thought it was only 2 or 3 years old". Well, at least some good came out of this bad evening!
Old 09-14-2003, 05:01 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I had this problem with my old 931 and it turned out to be the check valve in the fuel pump. Fuel heats up on shut down and the vapor pressure forces it back into the tank and you vapor lock. Check it out, your mechanic may be on to the problem.

I'm not sure you can buy just the check valve though someone said they did. Don't ask me where they got it.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:23 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

IceShark:

Thanks for the info. BTW, I just checked on Pelican Parts' website, the check valve can be had as an individual item. I'll discuss the issue with my mechanic this week.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

I had those exact same systems in a non-Porsche sometime ago and it tuned out to be the fuel pump. Turned out the pump was on its way out and it would overheat, and once the car sat for a bit and the pump cooled down it would start. The problem progressively got worse - had to let it sit for longer periods of time - before we finally figured it out. Might be worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Sad/Funny story