Airbag delete and new Momo wheel success

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 09:31 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Airbag delete and new Momo wheel success

My new favorite mod LOL!

Much thanks to Tony G for his help with talkiing me through the airbag delete (as well as Clarks garage & S2 org tech articles).

All you really need (besdies the momo hub kit # 7004 and the wheel of course), is a multi-switch from a non airbag car, and to snip a couple wires from the controller to turn off the dash light.

Last edited by CanyonBlaster; 09-15-2003 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:01 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Can you take a pic showing as much of the interior as possible? I think I like that wheel installed.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:09 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Default Yo, Streckfu......

Here's one for you.

I really like the wheel. I was having a tough time with my wagon having a cooler wheel than my Porsche. Now it makes it even tougher to keep it under 100 mph LOL!
Old 09-13-2003, 10:18 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

That looks better than I thought. Nice job. I was going with a more competion oriented wheel ( Momo corse, competition, corse, etc) but will now seriously consider the Trek now.

For the first time I have wheel envy.....
Old 09-13-2003, 10:37 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

I think this wheel is MORE comp. style!?
With the "D" shape, the suede accents , the Momo logo at "top dead center".

It is a bit weird at first cuz not "round" but because of this, it feels VERY comp. style.

just my 2 cents

BTW, your car is rad dude.

Hey, how do I put a pic in my avatar??
Old 09-13-2003, 10:52 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

You'll have to upload the picture to Rennlist first which requires a membership (it's worth it). Then select My Profile and Edit Options. The option to change your avatar is at the bottom.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:56 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey CanyonBlaster, could you PM me some of the details about removing the airbag? I pulled a fault 30 and I think I have a bad airbag control unit, plus I came across a hub for a Momo or Sparco wheel at a great price (thanks Dave) so I just want to delete it all together. Thanks! Looks great!
Old 09-14-2003, 10:29 AM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks Great!

Can you pass on the multi switch part number?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2003, 10:39 AM
daross951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I found my next project!! Couple of questions... where did you get the wheel; did it come with the Porsche emblem; and when you disconnedted the air bag, does it disable the passenger's side as well?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also like to see the air bag delete write up. I have a friend that just purchased a NIB 86 dash. His old one has a small patch above the A/C vents where someone put a radar detector - now white. Anyway I thought about buying it, sending it to Just Dashes and have it recovered for a spare; hence the air bag write up.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:27 PM
Blueman33
Pro

CANYONBLASTER,

Did you delete both airbags or just the wheel bag?

I was told that if you toally disconnect the system there is one feature (whether it matters or not to you) that is disabled, which is the 'engine cuts off after crash' feature.

I am told this feature is tied to the bag system and is there to lower risk of fire and to keep any unintended acceleration after an 'airbag deploying' impact.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Daros951,

I have investigated the project. It is my opinion that one would only have to 'fake out' the car into thinking there is still an airbag in the wheel.

I think this can be done with a parts from AirBagSystems.com

I do know that people who have young kids get their passenger side airbags disengaged, cops disengage their system but not computer, etc.

It seems either the 'disonnect kit' for $129 or the simulator for $29 or both would be the way to go and the airbag delete can be reversed.

I have not done mine, but did the research and think AirBagSystems.com is the solution.

http://www.airbagsystems.com/disconnect.htm

Hope this is a help. Anyone using these products before I do, please do me the favor to send me a PM and tell me how it went.

Thanks, David
Old 09-15-2003, 12:22 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Trying to answer all the questions. My mechanic did the work. I need to learn more and start trying to help myself ($$$!).

1. Here is the link to the article I brought him and he used.

http://www.944s2.com/

we left the pass. airbag in there. I'm not sure which method he used to turn off the airbag light. I will find out when I go back and he puts in the new multi-switch.

2. Then I can share the part # for this switch.

3. The wheel was sourced from Ltb Motorsport:

http://www.ltbmotorsport.com/steeringwheel.html

From my web search, they seem to have great Momo prices. It arrived in 3 days. Call and ask for Luis'. He's cool.

4. No, the horn button is still the stock Momo, silver (not bad at all). I added the crest emblem/stick on right over it and it seems fine. I bought them from some dude on ebay. I wanted it to match the crested silver shifter insert I bought from Ian at 944online.com

I will folow up on this thread again after the job is complete, my new switch is installed, the horn works, and the turns signals "self cancel"

Thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 11:50 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the airbag multi switch differ from the non-airbag multi switch. I am getting ready to do this whole thing myself. Eventually I will pull both airbags but the steering wheel is first. I am going to call the Airbag systems cats in the morning to find out if they make an application for the 951.

IPSC
Old 03-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'm about to pull all my airbag stuff right now too. passenger back, controll unit and all... I need to figure out how to get the nuts off on the unit.

Quick Reply: Airbag delete and new Momo wheel success