Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Confirm my wastegate diagnosis...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 04:51 PM
topley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confirm my wastegate diagnosis...

Hi guys,
Bought and installed a used Lindsey dual port wastegate. Lightly used by a little old lady who only went to church and back... Anyway I'm trying to find all the leaks in my vacuum lines (all I have to work with is a mityvac...) Plugged my maf tube with an oil filter and I'm going through sections one by one... Tody's section was MBC to wastegate. Wastegate disconnected from lines checked the line to the top port and it bleeds from -15 psi to 0 in about 30 seconds. Check the side port and its -15psi to 0 in about 15 seconds. hmmm strange. Torn diaphram should bleed down the same from both sides right? Hooked top and side to a t and tested together and a closed system bleeds down from -15 to 0 in about 15 seconds. Is there anywhere that air could be coming from other than leaks at the vacuum line ports?
Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-01-2015, 03:12 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

It's possible that the modified LR wastegates have a bleeder vent built into them in order for the valve to move freely from the different pressures over and under the diaphragm.
I had one of those wastegates briefly a few years ago, and it rings a bell, but I could be wrong.
Generally a wastegate system has to bleed somewhere. In the stock configuration it bleeds through the CV.
Call Lindsay
Old 07-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by topley
Hi guys,
Bought and installed a used Lindsey dual port wastegate. Lightly used by a little old lady who only went to church and back... Anyway I'm trying to find all the leaks in my vacuum lines (all I have to work with is a mityvac...) Plugged my maf tube with an oil filter and I'm going through sections one by one... Tody's section was MBC to wastegate. Wastegate disconnected from lines checked the line to the top port and it bleeds from -15 psi to 0 in about 30 seconds. Check the side port and its -15psi to 0 in about 15 seconds. hmmm strange. Torn diaphram should bleed down the same from both sides right? Hooked top and side to a t and tested together and a closed system bleeds down from -15 to 0 in about 15 seconds. Is there anywhere that air could be coming from other than leaks at the vacuum line ports?
Thanks,
Jay

I would expect the top port should seal pretty tight, if all is well. The side port will leak past the valve steam/guide as that is not a perfect seal. That said, I have never tried a leak down test on a WG. I have disassembled a few, and have found creases/cracks in the diaphragm membrane on used ones. They are easy to take apart and inspect. The blue and red WGs (single and dual port) are the same, the side port vents to atmosphere in single port mode. Spring rates were different on early versions, not sure if they still are or if Lindsey is using the same springs in both units now.

Even with the topside leakdown, it may still function fine. As long as the air/boost supply is sufficient to maintain 15+ psig with the leak rate, it will work.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2015, 12:37 PM
topley
Instructor

"Even with the topside leakdown, it may still function fine. As long as the air/boost supply is sufficient to maintain 15+ psig with the leak rate, it will work."
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm hoping. Just getting everything together on this swap for the first time. I'm anxious to at least try it out and hopefully fix all the teething problems at once.
Thanks!
Jay

Quick Reply: Confirm my wastegate diagnosis...