Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock wastegate replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock wastegate replacement

Since my turbo is being rebuilt, I am looking into replacing the 27yo stock wastegate as part of my upgrade path.

My choices so far are the tial 38/44mm sport. I would love to go vband, and bypass the adapter plates altogether.

So my question is, how do I accomplish that or is it too costly to modify the crossover/wastegate tie-in pipe, or just easier and cost-effective to buy the adapter plates and call it done?

Any other choices than what I have above for wastegates?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My suggestion is go V-band, but that's because that's the route I'm going. You'll need to remove your crossover and hack off the old flange, then weld on the new v-band. Not a big deal if you know how to weld. Make sure the area is very well cleaned, right down to bare metal. The wastegate comes with the flange you need to weld on, so considering you get everything all in one box, compared to having to buy a wastegate and source the adapters, it really just comes down to how much your time is worth.

BTW, I have a LR dual port wastegate if you want it. Straight bolt on to stock.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:23 PM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

For what it is worth, there is someone selling a TiAl with plates on RL here for a good price.

I'm going through this right now, and the v-band sounds tempting, as getting 29 year old bolts off has been an exercise in anger management.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:54 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by BReif61
For what it is worth, there is someone selling a TiAl with plates on RL here for a good price.

I'm going through this right now, and the v-band sounds tempting, as getting 29 year old bolts off has been an exercise in anger management.
Same here with removing the turbo/wastegate bolts, my wife heard me swearing in other languages, that is how she knows I am pissed.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:55 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by Black51
My suggestion is go V-band, but that's because that's the route I'm going. You'll need to remove your crossover and hack off the old flange, then weld on the new v-band. Not a big deal if you know how to weld. Make sure the area is very well cleaned, right down to bare metal. The wastegate comes with the flange you need to weld on, so considering you get everything all in one box, compared to having to buy a wastegate and source the adapters, it really just comes down to how much your time is worth.

BTW, I have a LR dual port wastegate if you want it. Straight bolt on to stock.
I wish I knew how to weld, PM incoming!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:34 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Tial 38 wastegate with adapter plates I've been trying to sell. $320 plus shipping.

Quick Reply: Stock wastegate replacement