Turbo exploded at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 03:38 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
It sounds logical to me that if the shaft broke the impeller would pull itself forwards like a propeller.
The turbine impeller is spinning in opposite direction, so theoretically it would push itself in. In practice however since it is spinning very fast, it disintegrates when its balance is lost. Thats where burst containment comes in.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:23 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
GT30 3.0 l 14 psi (max) boost. Boost is controlled by the ECU. Apologies I never learned how to control the size of a file
nice curve, But by the looks of it, the turbo does die off and i doubt it's fuel related. Must be some fun torque to play with though.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:50 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
The turbine impeller is spinning in opposite direction, so theoretically it would push itself in.

If the impeller is pulling air inwards, then surely that means it's trying to pull itself outwards?
Old 06-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Turbine is the hot side of turbo and when shaft is broken that usually means impeller broke off the shaft on the hot side. Besides, compressor impeller is bigger than the intake hole so it can not get out without exploding to peaces.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:09 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh oh, I found the speedforceracing website. I'm a sucker for bolt-on things. They have a GT35R bolt on. Plus I've still got stock exhaust headers and they have all sorts of the piping I've been wanting to replace. Might even have to pick up their intake and throttle body if it will work well with the 2.7L head.

Spending a whoole lot of money on a new turbo though is scary when I have little pieces of the last one all over and inside everything.

I would really like to see if my engine still runs. Is there any easy way at all to run the engine without having a turbo installed? It seems like an impossibility. I guess leak down test is all I can do.

Also wondering if I should trash the intercooler. Dunno if I trust it.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:11 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Player0
Uh oh, I found the speedforceracing website. I'm a sucker for bolt-on things. They have a GT35R bolt on. Plus I've still got stock exhaust headers and they have all sorts of the piping I've been wanting to replace. Might even have to pick up their intake and throttle body if it will work well with the 2.7L head.

Spending a whoole lot of money on a new turbo though is scary when I have little pieces of the last one all over and inside everything.

I would really like to see if my engine still runs. Is there any easy way at all to run the engine without having a turbo installed? It seems like an impossibility. I guess leak down test is all I can do.

Also wondering if I should trash the intercooler. Dunno if I trust it.

You might want to call them (SFR) first.

Take your intake off and check to see if you can find any metal bits. Also clean the hell out of your intercooler while checking for pieces. Have you started looking?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

http://imgur.com/a/FONy7

Here's a picture of the torn air filter. I guess this is a good PSA to check your air filters regularly. Are K&N filters just crappy? It failed in such a way that the hole would expand under full throttle I bet.

I haven't taken the intake off yet or the intercooler. It's too hot right now and I need to get the evo over to get inspected today, and I have Palmer event next weekend so I'm not sure when I can get to it. Oh and it's still on the trailer and I have to figure out getting it off so I can work on it

I have a pressure washer, I could probably blast the intercooler that way, but i'm still worried all the little stuff won't come out.

Also, you can see in one of the pictures, but there's a fine 'powder' of turbo all over the insides of everything. I don't know if this would have burned off in the head or not.

I'm still debating if the head itself needs to come off. I guess I'll start with leak down.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

The engine runs very well still. I jammed the MAF pipe on to the throttle body and plugged some of the vacuum leaks and yeah, she's running good still. I didn't want to run it too much as I had not removed and cleaned the intake, but I just wanted to see if it was worth doing anything at all with. I tried to do a compression test but the engine wasn't fully warm and I forgot to hold the throttle open but I got 142, 110, 133, and 124. I'm trying to remember what they used to be but this sounds about what it was like a couple years ago. Tired but runs fine enough until the 3.0L is done.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Okay, after speaking to the super nice Tim at SpeedForceRacing, I'm going with the GTX3582R with the Tial 63AR v-band housing and their billet turbo-engine mount. I'm upgrading the rest of the kit too for some reason, so their intake with 70mm throttlebody, 2.5" intercooler pipers, Tial BOV, their stage 2 intercooler, 321ss stage 2 headers cross over pipe and the 3" downpipe, a 46mm tial waste gate and a new manual boost controller.

When I finally get the 3.0L built, I can get the intake port matched and get the .82 turbine housing. But all my 'build the engine' money just went in to the 'replace the turbo/intercooler' project. Bah.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recall reading something about some K27 turbos having issues due to not having a reverse-thread on one of the wheels.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah? I still don't know what the real failure was. There was a nut still attached to the compressor wheel. But the shaft snapped in the middle for some reason or another. I'm dying to get a closer look at the turbo but that won't be til the end of June. It's amazing that I can't even find a day right now to work on the car :P
Old 06-11-2015, 08:54 AM
lejams
Pro

Mine is similar. Let go last year on 17lb. boost shifting 3rd to 4th. Like yours, found the impeller and other pieces in the MAF filter, but the filter was not torn. Amazingly the MAF sensors appear in tact, but won't know for sure until it's put back together.

Definitely not reusing the IC. Bought a used one from Josh B. Regardless of any kind of cleaning, even by a professional, I would not trust it. Something could stay lodged in there and break loose one day.

I was able to shake out of the IC a small hand full of various size fragments, but not nearly all of the compressor wheel. There were only two large pieces of the back plate found. Hmmm, where did it all go?

Exhaust side appears to not have made contact, but excessive axial play makes it un-rebuildable.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:19 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lejams

Definitely not reusing the IC. Bought a used one from Josh B. Regardless of any kind of cleaning, even by a professional, I would not trust it. Something could stay lodged in there and break loose one day.
Because you are sure the used one hasnt suffered a similar fate?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:49 AM
lejams
Pro

No way to absolutely know, but I bought it from a good seller who thinks it is okay. It was relatively clean and nothing whatsoever came out of it. I used a product called Oil Eater and soaked/washed it out four times. Nothing came out except for the remnants of Royal Purple oil. I think it's a good.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Wow, sorry to see that but sort of glad I'm not the only one. Yeah, I thought about cleaning the intercooler but the new turbo cost a serious chunk of change and I am just not risking it happening again.

If anyone wants a tainted Lindsey Racing Stage II intercooler cheap let me know Maybe if you have an ancient crummy turbo you aren't concerned about lol.

Yeah, despite the tear which may have been caused by the impeller itself, the turbo could have just exploded on it's own. I've been wondering what might be the cause. Heat stress, poor oiling?

I remember my mechanic telling me that the last mechanic who did my timing did not drill the hole in the water pump for the turbo hose so it never had any cooling. That had been fixed but maybe that had weakened the shaft? I usually let the car idle a bit after a run though so the oil should help but who knows.

Quick Reply: Turbo exploded at the Glen