Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Apexi AVCR setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Theo951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, if gear based boost is possible please let me know how to do it.
I am using the AVC-R a year, and recently a friend of my installed it, in his 951.
And we noticed the problems with speed settings, as the RPM bad signal on DME pin 1.
PS: also the gear based window on AVC as picture, or a copy / paste from the manual which is clearly describes the way will be nice.
I did not find anything yet.
Thanks a lot
Theo
Old 09-13-2003, 12:06 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

It's the START DUTY option under your settings menu. You can go -50% to +50% for each gear. Of course, you have to set each gear in the setup menu, basically drive in each gear and "set" it up so the AVC-R knows what gear you're in.

The manual describes that feature really funny... horrible translations .
Old 09-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Theo951
Advanced

Hi rage2,
I can admit that Start Duty affects the boost on every gear and wrong setting will cause an over or underboost of your target boost.
Mainly the function of this setting is Controlling initial boost spiking, as the name Start Duty says.
I have found a peffect installation and setup site here, were this matter is documented:
http://www.rx7turboturbo.com/robrobi..._r_install.htm

Playing with this setting you low or high the gear boost above/below your target boost you set in A or B Setting window.
But you can not set boost values, just -50% to +50% for each gear, and then you must hit the road like mad, try to verify what peak boost you got.
However, by the end of the day AVC-R is one of the best ellectronics in my car.
Bad that RS-232 interface is missing
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Theo
Old 09-15-2003, 01:31 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Theo951
Hi rage2,
I can admit that Start Duty affects the boost on every gear and wrong setting will cause an over or underboost of your target boost.
Mainly the function of this setting is Controlling initial boost spiking, as the name Start Duty says.
I have found a peffect installation and setup site here, were this matter is documented:
http://www.rx7turboturbo.com/robrobi..._r_install.htm
That's what I thought initially as well, but if you program say, -20% in 5th gear, and do a 5th gear run, you get a lot less sustained boost (not just initial spike). I'm using mine with Learn mode OFF, not sure if that makes any difference in this option. It works very well for controlling sustained boost in any gear for me.

Like I said, either it's a poorly translated manual, or a bug in the AVC-R .
Old 09-15-2003, 05:31 PM
AlexE
Pro

THEO951: So I am half way into installing my AVC unit........ and I re-read one of your post...

You suggest using the RPM signal on Pin #9 on the KLR as opposed to using pin #1 on the DME........ I am assuming this does not fix the issue of having a different RPM read by the unit compared to the RPM read by the tachometer? ........ All it does it gives a cleaner signal for the AVC-R to use????

On a side note: Would someone have the corresponding colors for the KLR
PIN #22 (TPS) and PIN #9 (Processed RPM) signal for me.

Much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:52 PM
AlexE
Pro

For future reference.

KLR# 9 is actually inside a shielded wire (surrounded by #10 SOLID Green), but my harness had a green/yellow wire that supplied the signal as well that was spliced at the harness connecting to the KLR. So splice into the green/yellow wire. I used this to obtain the RPM signal. The signal works well.

KLR#22 is a white/green wire.

Speedo is Blue/Red B-14 and is on the right hand of the instrument cluster.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:24 AM
Theo951
Advanced

Yes AlexE,
on DME Pin 21 (KLR 9) it gives a clear RPM signal to AVC, so the AVC can control the generated boost much much better, especially on track.
About the speedo signal, is not compatible to AVC, but you need anyway a signal to drive the AVC to learn (and record) the gear ratio.
After this speed/RPM ratio is recorded the AVC always know the used gear and control the boost from the Start Duty parameters.
Rage2,
this is correct!! If you set the Start duty on 5th gear at -20% the AVC acts so:
if your target boost was 0.75 bar or less it may take much more time to reach it if you have a healthy stock turbo and especially good spring on stock Wastegate.
If your target booost has been higher than 0.82 bar most probably Start duty on 5th gear at -20% will cause the effect you described.
Why I say this?
Me and my friend has the same cars same turbo (TOE4) and AVC-Rs.
The only diffference is that on my stock wastegate, I have added washers to strength the spring.
After cars were tested, a quicker target boost on my car has been noticed.
I have designed and installed an optical acoustic target boost warning system, so driving fast to know if and how long the target boost is reached while pressing the gas pedal. Thats was good to evaluate the Start duty effect as well. When target boost is reached the unit sends a negative pulse to turbo electrical water pump runnig for 20 seconds.
Remember is not the AVC-R make the boost, is the whole system.
OK guys, I have to say that I have enjoy the AVC very much, and I also enjoyed remove and throw a way the bloody stock cyclic valve.
Alex,
DO NOT install the solenoid near to engine, firewall, or in extremely heat places. NOT also inside the car, since is very very noisy!!
Best place is at cruise control place battery wall, using the rubber pad and secure screws with teflon /rubber washers.
You can hear it when it starts at 0.4 bar, but does not bother at all.
Regards
Theo
Old 09-17-2003, 11:03 AM
AlexE
Pro

Theo951...

Thanks for the tips...

I did install underneath the cruise control and covered in heat insulated wrap in hopes to minimize the heat...............

and yes its a noisy little gizmo!!!

Quick Reply: Apexi AVCR setup questions