Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Newest member of broken clutch fork club and not fun.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newest member of broken clutch fork club and not fun.

This is alot of work to get to the clutch fork and find it's the reason why the clutch is not working. Damn.

I have about 300hp to the wheels and was not sure of the previous owners choice of Pressure plate. But, I do know that I have a KEP stage 1 pressure plate going in.

I am figuring my best bet is to send a fork off to Blaszak Motorsports and have him work his magic. Having these break can be the pits when you put your resources into everything else. Clutch/Pressure Plate and Transmission. Plus Shift Linkage.

So for those that read this and have not done it with modified cars, think about taking care of your Forks....

to be continued..
Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 PM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. My fork broke last year. It was getting hard to shift then it was impossible to disengage the clutch. I have a KEP ST1 too.

I don't think there is really any relationship between HP and clutch forks, aside from needing a stronger pressure plate.

After a lot of research I ended up using an NA clutch fork that I only removed a small amount of metal to make it fit. When Porsche made the turbo clutch fork they used the same casting but ground away some material for the larger throw out bearing. They removed material in a very critical spot and this is where's they break.

Check out my old posts for more info.

Good luck.
Phil
Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

My throw out bearing seized last year & welded itself to the fork from friction. Not a fun repair.. On the bright side you do become VERY familiar with the car after taking nearly the whole thing apart & putting it back together hahah.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:17 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm going to be taking the clutch fork from my project car to my friends machine shop to get him to make a new one out of 4140. Will post with results when done.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:32 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
I'm going to be taking the clutch fork from my project car to my friends machine shop to get him to make a new one out of 4140. Will post with results when done.
I was thinking the same thing. If a new billet one could be made for a reasonable cost it could be a while-you're-in-there item when replacing the other clutch components.

If your plan falls through, let me know. A friend of my Dad owns a machine shop w/ 3D scanning and CNC machines and he might be able to help.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:53 PM
944Phil
Racer

I remember reading that someone (xschop maybe) machined one up. From what I remember it took a lot of time. Cool project tho. Make 10 of them if you do it and sell the others.

Quick Reply: Newest member of broken clutch fork club and not fun.