Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tough starting and running rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:32 AM
Xaerran
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Man, I wish I read this thread sooner, it's a bad MAP sensor... I had one go bad with my M-tune, same cutting at 5200. Ask Josh to send you a new one, and/or test the one you have now. I was getting weird readings. The M-tune is turning on the boost protection because it can't read the pressure properly.

*disclaimer* this is my hunch, Josh will know best.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Xaerran
Man, I wish I read this thread sooner, it's a bad MAP sensor... I had one go bad with my M-tune, same cutting at 5200. Ask Josh to send you a new one, and/or test the one you have now. I was getting weird readings. The M-tune is turning on the boost protection because it can't read the pressure properly.

*disclaimer* this is my hunch, Josh will know best.
I have to say it does look like some kind of protection that just cuts ignition...
Old 05-20-2015, 12:40 AM
Xaerran
Rennlist Member

Yea, if I slowly built the revs to redline, it rarely cut out. With any boost engaged at ~5200, it cut the fuel/ignition.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:51 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Yea, if I slowly built the revs to redline, it rarely cut out. With any boost engaged at ~5200, it cut the fuel/ignition.
Kyle,

Do you think this is also why my AFR at cruise is rich?

Also, did your car backfire when it cut as well?
Old 05-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Xaerran
Rennlist Member

I dont recall it backfiring (though it does "pop" now under WOT on E85 between shifts... pretty normal on the track as the exhaust is so hot), I only drove the car a handful of times before I diagnosed and resolved the issue. I also don't have an AFR, but if the MAP sensor is throwing erroneous info, it very well could be causing things to run rich. I seem to recall Josh mentioned in the absence of the MAP sensor, the tune would run "a conservative map" to ensure the tune didn't fry the engine with a lean map.

I looked at Josh's guide on the voltage readings and my readings were erratic. It would hit the 1.6 volts Josh said to look for, then bounce to 0, then to 1.6, then to 0 (and numbers I'm between). I swapped out the MAP sensor and it held at 1.6. Josh did mention that when he hooked up the MAP sensor I sent back, it bench tested okay... so who knows why it struggled in my car. The new one he sent didn't have the voltage swings like the first one did, and the car has been great ever since.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:42 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont recall it backfiring (though it does "pop" now under WOT on E85 between shifts... pretty normal on the track as the exhaust is so hot), I only drove the car a handful of times before I diagnosed and resolved the issue. I also don't have an AFR, but if the MAP sensor is throwing erroneous info, it very well could be causing things to run rich. I seem to recall Josh mentioned in the absence of the MAP sensor, the tune would run "a conservative map" to ensure the tune didn't fry the engine with a lean map.

I looked at Josh's guide on the voltage readings and my readings were erratic. It would hit the 1.6 volts Josh said to look for, then bounce to 0, then to 1.6, then to 0 (and numbers I'm between). I swapped out the MAP sensor and it held at 1.6. Josh did mention that when he hooked up the MAP sensor I sent back, it bench tested okay... so who knows why it struggled in my car. The new one he sent didn't have the voltage swings like the first one did, and the car has been great ever since.
Sounds very plausible, and easy to test with some instruction by Josh. Exactly why I got on the soapbox about throwing parts!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Xaerran
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
...Exactly why I got on the soapbox about throwing parts!
It's a tough line to walk, without a strong source to offer "test" parts, you are often left in a lurch. Hopefully not all the parts were in vein.

one other quick note - You may want to confirm the ground is solid on the MAP sensor, that may also be causing problems (if the MAP sensor is still good)

Last edited by Xaerran; 05-20-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:40 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

It's a tough line to walk, without a strong source to offer "test" parts, you are often left in a lurch. Hopefully not all the parts were in vein.

one other quick note - You may want to confirm the ground is solid on the MAP sensor, that may also be causing problems (if the MAP sensor is still good)

Map sensor is reading a steady -1.6
Old 05-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Xaerran
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fejjj
Map sensor is reading a steady -1.6
Hmmm, Do you have the logger? I don't, but you could use the logger to ensure no bad data...

It may be worth asking Josh to send you one (or LR?) to test with, before throwing more money at it.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:51 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

h
Hmmm, Do you have the logger? I don't, but you could use the logger to ensure no bad data...

It may be worth asking Josh to send you one (or LR?) to test with, before throwing more money at it.

I was really hoping the MAP was my problem.

I am waiting on the Tuner to be done so I can get the Logger/Tuner.

Also, the grounds on both the MAP and MAF are good.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fejjj
h

I was really hoping the MAP was my problem.

I am waiting on the Tuner to be done so I can get the Logger/Tuner.

Also, the grounds on both the MAP and MAF are good.
Did you swap the cap and rotor today? Any change after doing so?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:15 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fiily
Did you swap the cap and rotor today? Any change after doing so?

No as I was pretty confident that it was the MAP sensor.

That is my next step.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:32 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

I drove 60 miles to our cottage today.

My AFR's are all over the place.

Cruise in 5th gear 2.5k showing anywhere between 12.5 and 14.0

Under WOT it will go rich (mid 10's) then above 4k or so it leans back to high 11's.

Joshua has been helping me and I purchased the logger so I am going to get more data before replacing any more parts.

BTW...my no start condition returned so I changed the DME relay while it was acting up and it immediately started and has started every time since. I guess sometimes they die a slow death.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Waiting on logger and it got worse today!

Left office to head home and it started stumbling and bucking under light to medium throttle around 2800 RPM's.

If I accelerate lightly, it will go to redline but anymore than real light acceleration, it stumbles at 2.8k and have to back off throttle.

AFR was even more rich than before.

3rd gear at 2.8k RPM it is high 11's.

Accelerating lightly I am seeing mid 10's.

Idle AFR 14.2-14.7
Old 05-29-2015, 11:43 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Perplexing.

The Logger should hopefully help give us a view into what's going on.

This also sorta-kinda sounds like the issue I was having last summer. Not exactly, but similar.

Does it do it 100% of the time? Or does it come and go? Does it seem worse when you've got a heavy electrical load on the car (like headlights on)?

Part of me wonders if you're getting the same goofy interference issue I had with my car last year. And part of me wonders if it's something like MAF power cutting out.

Quick Reply: Tough starting and running rich