Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Balancing rotating assembly with new pistons - what about balance shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM
spives
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing rotating assembly with new pistons - what about balance shafts?

Guys, I've got my new Wossner pistons, crank, flywheel, and clutch parts for my rebuild. The Wossners are a bit heavier than the original pistons so my instinct is to have the rotating assembly balanced.

Is there anything special to consider regarding the balance shafts? It seems that they would be tailored to a fairly specific range of piston and rod weights. Will they still function as intended if I reduce my reciprocating mass with heavier pistons?

Last edited by spives; 04-27-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:25 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Theoretically you should match the heavier pistons with heavier balance shafts. Since there aren't any balance shafts available that are heavier than stock, the best you can do is to keep using the stock shafts.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by spives
Guys, I've got my new Wossner pistons, crank, flywheel, and clutch parts for my rebuild. The Wossners are a bit heavier than the original pistons so my instinct is to have the rotating assembly balanced.

Is there anything special to consider regarding the balance shafts? It seems that they would be tailored to a fairly specific range of piston and rod weights. Will they still function as intended if I reduce my reciprocating mass with heavier pistons?
Are building for the track or the street?
Old 04-29-2015, 12:02 PM
spives
Track Day

It'll be 90% street driven. I've got a fresh K27/6 to put on and it'll be running Megasquirt. I'm focusing on mid-range but I'm sure it'll see the red line fairly regularly.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:40 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

It'll be 90% street driven. I've got a fresh K27/6 to put on and it'll be running Megasquirt. I'm focusing on mid-range but I'm sure it'll see the red line fairly regularly.
Go back with the standard balance shafts.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:44 PM
spives
Track Day

Cool, that's the way I was leaning.

Think it's worth balancing the crank for a fairly mild engine like this? There were no issues with the bottom end before the timing belt let go. I'm not really chasing any problems with this rebuild, I just want to be thorough.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:57 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool, that's the way I was leaning.

Think it's worth balancing the crank for a fairly mild engine like this? There were no issues with the bottom end before the timing belt let go. I'm not really chasing any problems with this rebuild, I just want to be thorough.
Unless you're on a tight budget now would be the time to have the crank balanced. It does make the engine run smoother when balanced down to zero grams vs the factory spec.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:41 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think broadfoot racing sells lightweight ones. but i deleted mine with my race build.

Quick Reply: Balancing rotating assembly with new pistons - what about balance shafts?