Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Order of assembly after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:48 PM
topley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Order of assembly after engine swap

Question for you guys: do I just finished the easy part... Got an 86 turbo motor and trans bolted up in my 85.5 racecar. Now the hard part, getting everything else attached and hooked up so it actually runs. Any reccomendations as to order of reassembly? Systems first? Like electronics>vacuum>cooling>inter cooler etc or start at one side and work to the other? I just don't want to have to undo a bunch of stuff as I go.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:22 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Generally, you should work from the inside out. Whatever is the hardest to reach, do that first.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:49 PM
topley
Instructor

Yeah, Unfortunately just have a bunch of boxes of parts from the turbo car so I was hoping to find something a bit more specific. For lack of any additional feedback I'm going to do wiring first then vacuum lines then cooling then intercooling and MAF kit... unless there are any bright ideas of a more methodological approach?
Thanks
Old 04-30-2015, 01:04 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds about right.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:50 PM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put my engine back in. Leave the wiring and vacuum lines for last. Intake manifold is the very last thing for me.

I did it this way, turbo and down pipe (because of the long bolt), clutch, bell housing, TT, trans, CV, crossover, wastegate and precat pipe, rad, alternator, I don't have A/C, power steering pump, coolant hoses, pretty home free at this point.Then the fun stuff, wiring, vac lines and air hoses, intake.

One thing that I can say it put your exhaust heat sheilds on engine before putting the engine in the car.

Good luck
Old 05-01-2015, 01:50 AM
topley
Instructor

exhaust manifold to turbo was already on the engine before we dropped it in... doing the MAF with the vacuum lines... its slow goings but it's getting done.

Quick Reply: Order of assembly after engine swap