Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Restart trouble after re-assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:20 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ps. thx for the note re. TPS and AFM - I was thinking that perhaps if the DME was getting weird inputs from the metering side of things, inputs that it doesn't look at when the engine starts, it might shut down when it gets out of "I'm just starting" mode and into "let's go!".
Old 05-21-2015, 09:07 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ECU needs the input from the reference sensors to start and stay running, I know you replaced the sensors but it would still be a good idea to do the test procedure on them when it dies and wont restart. If the test is good then you might look closer at the ECU. if the test fails then you have a wiring issue.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:42 AM
zogster
Pro

OK, that all makes sense, thx.

After a quick tinker this morning, I'm going to look harder at the DME and connector. AT first the engine didn't start. And then it started. But the significant thing: while it was running, I managed to get the engine to die just like it has been, by slightly wiggling the DME connector. I guess it doesn't rule out a problem elsewhere in the wiring, but that area looks pretty suspect now - especially as cleaning it up before made such a difference.

I opened up the DME connector and the inside looks in good shape - all the insulation is intact, no corrosion or dodgy spliced wires visible. So on to the DME next.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:43 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by zogster
OK, that all makes sense, thx.

After a quick tinker this morning, I'm going to look harder at the DME and connector. AT first the engine didn't start. And then it started. But the significant thing: while it was running, I managed to get the engine to die just like it has been, by slightly wiggling the DME connector. I guess it doesn't rule out a problem elsewhere in the wiring, but that area looks pretty suspect now - especially as cleaning it up before made such a difference.

I opened up the DME connector and the inside looks in good shape - all the insulation is intact, no corrosion or dodgy spliced wires visible. So on to the DME next.
Look closely at the solder joints for the main connector pins.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:34 AM
zogster
Pro

Would you believe I've just sat down at my computer again after re-soldering those very joints!

They looked OK, but it can't hurt...
Old 05-24-2015, 07:34 PM
zogster
Pro

...and a couple of days on, it's looking good. Started every time, no mystery engine cut-outs. Running well, other than an occasional slight rise in idle speed to about 1200rpm. (So maybe I still have a slight vacuum leak.)

Thanks to everyone who contributed knowledge and advice!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:06 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zogster
...and a couple of days on, it's looking good. Started every time, no mystery engine cut-outs. Running well, other than an occasional slight rise in idle speed to about 1200rpm. (So maybe I still have a slight vacuum leak.)

Thanks to everyone who contributed knowledge and advice!
I'd like to know what that 1200 rpm idle when hot thing is as well. Does the car up the idle to run the cooling fans? My car does this as well, occasionally.

Quick Reply: Restart trouble after re-assembly