Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Commiefornia's new smog laws SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:51 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

My friends 550whp Audi that passes CA inspection/emissions. He used a variety of heatshields/battery covers to make everything look factory. Not sure this would help with a V8 in an I4 car, but it might give you some ideas.

Emissions mode:

Race mode:
Old 04-17-2015, 04:59 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well done!

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
My friends 550whp Audi that passes CA inspection/emissions. He used a variety of heatshields/battery covers to make everything look factory. Not sure this would help with a V8 in an I4 car, but it might give you some ideas.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:55 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPDATE

Well, I installed a new OEM 2.5 bar fuel pressure regulator, "disguised" a few things and the '86 passed!
Now on to the track car.......ugh!
Old 04-18-2015, 06:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8

Emissions mode:

Race mode:
Awesome. Based on what I've heard, he's got some *****, disguising stuff like that. But hella sweet that it worked!

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
Well, I installed a new OEM 2.5 bar fuel pressure regulator, "disguised" a few things and the '86 passed!
Now on to the track car.......ugh!
Congrats!

I watched some /DRIVE video yesterday where Matt Farah was driving some guy's 400+hp Mazdaspeed 3 around the canyons. No idea how that thing will pass... but some of ours don't have a prayer... :/
Old 04-20-2015, 12:06 AM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on passing !! Nice work.

Did you, or are you using the Rogue data logger to get it to pass? Or has Josh given you a certain emissions tune?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor

Originally Posted by Ifly951
Congrats on passing !! Nice work.

Did you, or are you using the Rogue data logger to get it to pass? Or has Josh given you a certain emissions tune?
A-tune as supplied, no logger in this car. As per Josh's advice, I backed off the fuel pressure (2.5 bar instead of 3 bar) for emissions testing. Since an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is an automatic fail, I just installed a stock one.
Just be careful not to make any boost until you restore "normal" fuel delivery. Not a problem for me, the smog testing place is only a couple miles away.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:04 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Geez, I didn't know about these new 2015 laws until now. Makes me want to give up on modding the p-car and spend all my time on the diesel Mercedes (which is exempt). Or maybe I'll just tow the 951 everywhere with the Mercedes!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok I'm gonna bump this thread and ask another question: Why is it that everybody with 951's seems to have a tough time getting these things to pass smog in CA... going to lengths of putting the car "back to stock" to pass, etc.... and then I see stuff like this:

Built 930. How the hell does this thing pass, but a 951 is a pain?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:56 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

there are still areas of the state where smog is not required until you go to sell the car, if you want to maintain an actual address (not PO box) and register the car there.

alternatively you can build the car entirely with CARB-legal parts (or get your parts CARB certified) but that is a pricey process.

3rd option is palm-greasing or just going to the BFE to get smogged where the guy doesn't know what a 911 is supposed to look like under the hood and the sniffer blows clean so it passes.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

An early 911 engine is also so easy to drop i dont think it would be out of the question to keep a spare smog legal engine and just put it in every 2 years!
Old 05-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Geez, I didn't know about these new 2015 laws until now. Makes me want to give up on modding the p-car and spend all my time on the diesel Mercedes (which is exempt). Or maybe I'll just tow the 951 everywhere with the Mercedes!
I'm not sure why folks are referring to these as new laws? They add detail and additional tests from time to time, but California has had a "visual" check for years, and non-stock components like 3-bar fuel pressure regulators, big injectors, MAF's, larger turbo, headers, etc., etc., have been an automatic fail for as long as I can remember, even if the car is emitting pure oxygen out the tail pipe.

There is, however, an interesting bill working its way through the CA legislature now that would ease the rules for 30+ year old cars. It's not a complete hall-pass, but would sure help.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/23/c...car-smog-bill/
Old 05-18-2015, 02:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

one thing to add, relating to the audi above...
the smog guy isn't allowed to remove any parts or disassemble anything during the smog test.
so if you have something questionable...hide it well, behind something that looks factory.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
There is, however, an interesting bill working its way through the CA legislature now that would ease the rules for 30+ year old cars. It's not a complete hall-pass, but would sure help.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/23/c...car-smog-bill/
This is good news ... email your support at this link http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...15CA2&g=SEMAGA

If a bill currently in the California State Assembly becomes law, the Golden State could become a little more friendly to classic car owners. AB 550 would allow drivers of vehicles that are at least 30 model-years old to pay a $200-fee to waive the state's smog check.

The bill's wording doesn't make it as simple as paying the money and driving off, though. Under this language, owners must still to get a vehicle that's from 1976 or newer smog checked, and if the model fails, they must make the necessary repairs. After a second unsuccessful test, the drivers could then fork over the $200 to keep the car on the road. The cash would go to the Air Quality Improvement Fund, just like a portion of present vehicle registration fees.

This proposal would offer some flexibility to California's current smog test. Owners must conduct a biennial check if the vehicle is from 1976 or newer. While the evaluation isn't necessarily a problem for modern vehicles, owners of vintages rides can have problems passing.

With AB 550 currently in the Assembly Committee on Transportation, SEMA is asking classic car fans to contact California's politicians. According to information from the legislature, the proposal was scheduled for hearings before the committee twice, but they were canceled by author the both times. You can read the bill's full text for yourself, here.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:34 AM
JacRyann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ok I'm gonna bump this thread and ask another question: Why is it that everybody with 951's seems to have a tough time getting these things to pass smog in CA... going to lengths of putting the car "back to stock" to pass, etc.... and then I see stuff like this:
Built 930. How the hell does this thing pass, but a 951 is a pain?
Not every 951 has trouble. Considering how many of them there are, we actually hear of very few that have had issues. Most of the time, it's the visual-inspection that gets you and the smog-tech has A LOT of leeway here. There's that checklist they go through, but it's up to their discretion.

Most will just look under the car for a cat and if it's there, fine. Other will pull out a mirror-on-a-stick and look at the part# to confirm if it's stock. And if not, they look for the EO# stamped on the case. Wide range of possibilities in between. Heck, I gut got my wife's car smogged and it passed just fine with a spare 944 catalytic I threw on there. I know "a guy" that'll test your car and as long as it passes the tailpipe-sniffer, everything else is irrelevant. That's how it really should be. You should be able to modify and swap any computer, engine, exhaust you want and as long as it passes the sniffer, it should be legal.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:09 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

It's not the laws that have changed per se, it's the enforcement.
It used to be that the techs had a bunch of leeway as long as the tail pipe numbers were OK because no one checked, now CARB is sending spies (for a better term) out to the smog testers with non-legal cars to try and catch them at it. If they're caught, the license is yanked and they're out if business. If a car that passed last time fails this time, CARB investigates the tech that passed it last time. Also, STAR certified testers aren't allowed to work on cars to make them pass like they used to be able to, it's "test only" everywhere.
SO, the difference is that now the techs are afraid to do anything but go "by the book" or suffer the wrath of the enviro *****.

Quick Reply: Commiefornia's new smog laws SUCK!