Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Commiefornia's new smog laws SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
y'all should listen to Lart when it comes to talking about felonies.

But yeah sorry to hear about Commiefornia. Even here in Liberal Massachusetts any car that is Pre-OBDII only has to go through safety inspections.

Techno, why not leave the Porsche registered in NY? Got family there?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:39 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ekoz
+1
Even in the whacked out state of Illinois we got rid of the rolling dyno test and only test vehicles with odb II plugs. I believe everything older than 1996 is exempt. I highly doubt we used common sense to make this decision. A more likely scenario is a state worker probably trashed a car on the dyno and the owner sued the state and won.

That's how things work here.
Hahaha - and yep. State of IL got sued a LOT for damages. Lots of horror stories. The station by the house where I grew up bused in folks from the ghetto to operate the equipment.

Went through a few bad stories personally. Most of them couldn't drive stick. I watched one of them try to start my car old Dodge Daytona in 3rd gear. Vrooooooom-stall. Verrooooooooooom-stall. VrrooooooooooooooooooOOOOOooooooommmmmm - stall." Sorry sir your car has failed, it won't stay running on the dyno."

Had to come back later with my other car (hot-rodded turbocharged Dodge Omni), and after watching them cook the clutch with 3rd gear starts in my Daytona, I asked the supervisor to either (a) let ME drive the car or (b) at least give me their most experienced operator. His response was to ask me to leave for attempting to interfere with the test. I let the smog expire on that car (might not've passed anyways) and sold the car (broke it) before they suspended my license.

My dad went through hell getting his 1969 GTO smogged. Idiot woman entered it into the computer as a 1989 (because 1969 wasn't a valid choice - they weren't SUPPOSED to dyno cars that old), then proceeded to drag her test equipment back and forth across the hood (on a fresh restoration/repaint). My dad jumped up to tell them to please be careful with the paint, and asked why they were trying to get the car up on the rollers being a 69... and 2 seconds later a security guard was standing next to him.... failed the car on the spot for "intervention with the test". Took him months to sort it out.

So glad they got rid of all that crap here in IL.

I had my 951 out in CA last summer for a month and it was awesome. Excellent canyon carver, ton of fun. But it would never pass emissions, and apparently the chances of passing in the future are even less. 3" exhaust, no cat, aftermarket software, adjustable FPR. Sad thing is I'm pretty sure I could tune it to pass the sniffer and roller... but it would fail the visual. Lame.

I hate a lot of what that state stands for. Yet I still want to live there someday. Mountains, canyons, beaches, warm weather.... but now I know I'd have to get rid of my baby to do it. :/
Old 04-16-2015, 12:55 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

That is just messed up. I can honestly say that would never happen in Canada. A worker doing that bad a job would be fired on the spot. Plus any sort of job like that requires a technician education or higher. Probably the only car thing better here

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Hahaha - and yep. State of IL got sued a LOT for damages. Lots of horror stories. The station by the house where I grew up bused in folks from the ghetto to operate the equipment.

Went through a few bad stories personally. Most of them couldn't drive stick. I watched one of them try to start my car old Dodge Daytona in 3rd gear. Vrooooooom-stall. Verrooooooooooom-stall. VrrooooooooooooooooooOOOOOooooooommmmmm - stall." Sorry sir your car has failed, it won't stay running on the dyno."

Had to come back later with my other car (hot-rodded turbocharged Dodge Omni), and after watching them cook the clutch with 3rd gear starts in my Daytona, I asked the supervisor to either (a) let ME drive the car or (b) at least give me their most experienced operator. His response was to ask me to leave for attempting to interfere with the test. I let the smog expire on that car (might not've passed anyways) and sold the car (broke it) before they suspended my license.

My dad went through hell getting his 1969 GTO smogged. Idiot woman entered it into the computer as a 1989 (because 1969 wasn't a valid choice - they weren't SUPPOSED to dyno cars that old), then proceeded to drag her test equipment back and forth across the hood (on a fresh restoration/repaint). My dad jumped up to tell them to please be careful with the paint, and asked why they were trying to get the car up on the rollers being a 69... and 2 seconds later a security guard was standing next to him.... failed the car on the spot for "intervention with the test". Took him months to sort it out.

So glad they got rid of all that crap here in IL.

I had my 951 out in CA last summer for a month and it was awesome. Excellent canyon carver, ton of fun. But it would never pass emissions, and apparently the chances of passing in the future are even less. 3" exhaust, no cat, aftermarket software, adjustable FPR. Sad thing is I'm pretty sure I could tune it to pass the sniffer and roller... but it would fail the visual. Lame.

I hate a lot of what that state stands for. Yet I still want to live there someday. Mountains, canyons, beaches, warm weather.... but now I know I'd have to get rid of my baby to do it. :/
Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Feather
I've often considered doing the same when I think about moving to CA (just keep my car registered in IL).... but a quick google search returns a lot of links to their new ****-youth style "turn in your neighbors" program called CHEATERS -- Californians Help Eliminate All The Evasive Registration Scofflaws.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:38 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
y'all should listen to Lart when it comes to talking about felonies.
Yup, I went through a intensive course for 2.5 years.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This was my initial plan actually but my entire family is leaving NYS by the end of the year. The car already draws tons of attention; red, huge 4" exhaust and one really lopey idle. I would tame it down a bit if i brought it out to CA but even with out of state plates i dont want my butt cheeks to clench every time i see a police car.

Something i am thinking about is registering it in Nevada and making the changes needed to pass the 2-speed idle emissions check. Still up in the air though; i am probably 60 / 40 right now in favor of selling the car.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:58 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Wow, you guys need to move to Canada. We're way more reasonable to modded cars. And for the 1 month of the year without snow when you can drive them it's fantastic!
Old 04-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
This was my initial plan actually but my entire family is leaving NYS by the end of the year. The car already draws tons of attention; red, huge 4" exhaust and one really lopey idle. I would tame it down a bit if i brought it out to CA but even with out of state plates i dont want my butt cheeks to clench every time i see a police car.

Something i am thinking about is registering it in Nevada and making the changes needed to pass the 2-speed idle emissions check. Still up in the air though; i am probably 60 / 40 right now in favor of selling the car.
I can take car of it for you, for a little while Just a short trip to MA from NY...
Old 04-16-2015, 06:43 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ekoz
+1
Even in the whacked out state of Illinois we got rid of the rolling dyno test and only test vehicles with odb II plugs. I believe everything older than 1996 is exempt. I highly doubt we used common sense to make this decision. A more likely scenario is a state worker probably trashed a car on the dyno and the owner sued the state and won.

That's how things work here.
In WA you still have to do the roller test if Pre-OBD2, unless you have AWD or studded snow tires. Then you just have to do the two stage idle test.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:42 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So if someone had a PO Box in an exempt county, how would they explain the one car at a different address?
Old 04-17-2015, 01:30 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the OP floored it out of the testing station and let loose a 200 decibel Halley's Comet out the tailpipe, with a nice long tail of crankcase vapor chasing after it.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:38 AM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this situation with smog, and the CA bs with it.

We have so much more pollution going on than people who own older cars that they pour money into trying to run better than when they were new. While at least keeping the car reasonable, ie keeping Cats on and such.

But I am posting to see what will be the plan for these 944 Turbo's going forward in CA. Here I am in the process of changing transmission, rebuilding Torque Tube, and putting in a new clutch. After I get done with this my plan is to get Rogue's data logger (have M-tune) and get the car ready to pass smog again.

Now my car in the engine bay looks stock for a MAF setup. Has a cover that is made of plastic and you cannot see any of the intake. Have the Volvo 3 bar fpr. looks stock. But the concern is how much goes on with these inspections for 2015? I have a Carb legal CAT, but my exhaust is 3'? I had never had a problem before. But I had did smog it 4 years ago. Car has been moth-balled since then.

At some point Ca and the "smog" laws will have to get realistic with those that are trying to do right.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:55 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't try this in CA ... https://www.facebook.com/OaklandCHP370

Old 04-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I can take car of it for you, for a little while Just a short trip to MA from NY...
If you want to take over as caretaker for this 951 i will likely be posting it up for sale within the next few months. PM me for details .
Old 04-17-2015, 11:28 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Don't try this in CA ...

Quick Reply: Commiefornia's new smog laws SUCK!