Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

looking to round out my modifications / what else do i need to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Chris Cervelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony and others,

Don't underestimate the difficulty of what you are proposing. Here are a couple things you need to consider:

Your hp goals (and therefore cooling system load) are more in line with a 996 Turbo/GT2 than a 996. The 996 Turbo has totally different radiatiors than a normal 996 or 996 Cup. The Turbo also has 3 radiators.

The ducting is the key to whole thing. I don't know how you can expect to do this right without wind tunnel time, which is beyond the reach of us normal people. If you look at a Turbo or GT2, you'll see that the entire front end aero plan is based on cooling. The exit ducts are going to be extremely tough to design. You also have to make sure you don't add a ton of aero drag.

Tony is right on about the oil cooling. The oil cooler is going to have to be large and that will take up some of that front end space.

I think Tony's observations about this problem are accurate. It is going to be hard to come up with a good solution.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:31 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally posted by Rich Sandor
I LOVE THE HEADLIGHTS!@!!!
fftopic:
They look mean don't they? It is the car of my friend DrRon.

Another picture:

The cover can be bought in Germany.

Check out this webpage for more pictures
Cor's photosite

It is not quite finished yet. Recently we put a lexan cover over the headlights. A brake airduct that will fill in the holes in the front bumper is in the making.

Recent picture of my repaired car, with a 944 Turbo of one of my other teammates
Old 09-07-2003, 01:39 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally posted by Chris Cervelli
I think Tony's observations about this problem are accurate. It is going to be hard to come up with a good solution.
I am afraid I completely agree. Everyone who ever tracked an even slightly tuned 951 knows how hot these things get. Solving his is not going to be easy nor cheap.

TonyG, have you ever discussed this with John Milledge?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:28 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've spoken at length with John Milledge about the ideas I have. In fact, the build race cars with the same setup, although they cut the front end of the car off to do it.

I'm not willing to do that as this is a street car.

But what I am willing to do is to dump the factory head lights for some fixed head lights.... and until now (the picture you posted) I've not seen what I consider to be an acceptable solution.

The fiberglass panel on the white/blue car is exactly what I would want for my car. Can you get me one? Or put me in contact with the person who can? Do you know if they have fabricated the lexan covers for the headlights? Wow... I MUST HAVE IT!

Back to the problem...

What I think the solution is, is to use a GT Racing factory 951 fiberglass bumper cover replica. Then to have some cutting/molding done. Specifically, running a large opening that uses the driving light opening, and running that pattern down to the bottom of the bumper cover, and duct it to a radiator (on each side). Then exit the radiator on the side of the bumper cover where there is a low pressure area (on the side) and possibly use a lip in front of the exit duct opening to create further negative pressure. If that's not enough to get the air out, then additional ducting could be fabricated up to the hood, where a set of louvers would provide further exit ducting of the radiator air.

I'm also undecided on the radiators to use. I quoted 996 radiators because they are cheap (and I meant 996TT radiators, not 996NA radiators even though I didn't specifiy). I could very easily get custom aluminum radiators made to any dimension.

The area necessary to support 500HP is there. And the radiators can be fit and ducted with no problems if the factory head lights are deleted and replace with fixed head lights for sure. I'm about 99% confident on the exit ducting, but I'm not sure if it will require just the exits out the side of the bumper skin, or if additional exit ducting would be required out the top through the hood via louvers.

The "plate" that is below the head lights, below where the stock airbox snorkel runs... will probably have to go... but I don't see this as being a big deal.

For oil cooling: A Mocal oil cooler fits perfectly where the stock intercooler resides now and plumbing that up is trivial. Further... the ducting for that is already there!

Here's a pic of the front bumper cover that started this in my head with respect to where to get the air to feed a pair of radiators...

Old 09-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm.. looks like I have another project.. Those 5 years of high school drafting and 951 blueprints I found are about to come in handy...

Tony I think that Bumper is great. I'd like to tweak the shape a bit to retain the turn signals and some minimal lighting... I'll work on it while I'm at work tonight..
Old 09-07-2003, 11:45 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Rich

The bumper is nice... But there's no need for the hole to be so high. In fact, it's a tiny bit too high. We could leave the factory blinker, and move the hole down starting with the top of the driving light bucket, then down almost to the bottom of the bumper cover.

I would want a splitter exactly like the car in the photo to finish it out.

Also, there's no need to cut apart the center of the bumper like the picture..
Old 09-08-2003, 05:11 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally posted by TonyG
The fiberglass panel on the white/blue car is exactly what I would want for my car. Can you get me one? Or put me in contact with the person who can? Do you know if they have fabricated the lexan covers for the headlights? Wow... I MUST HAVE IT!
The panel is produced by Pefa design in Germany, and is called "Pefa 117-C". Price depending on material and shape in between 160 and 240 Euros.
The guy is called Peter Faustman, does speak English, accepts paypal, and can be reached at pefa@nikocity.de. Website Pefa design.

The panel is a reasonable fit. We produced the lexan covers ourselves.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:13 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Thanks Hans!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Tony,

There are two different nose panels on that white car that I can see. The upper one with the bridge in the middle of the intercooler opening looks a lot...and I mean a lot like the AIR front piece that is on my car currently. At least the previous owner told me it was an A.I.R. piece.

The lower one with the large opening looks like the lindsey piece to me...slightly raised to accomadate a larger IC.

Hope that gives you a couple directions to look at.

Quick Reply: looking to round out my modifications / what else do i need to do?