Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rattling in second gear, can feel it in shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rattling in second gear, can feel it in shifter

Took an on ramp in second pretty aggresive but nothing crazy this morning, hard right turn bend. maybe got up to 6K RPM on the way out.

After coming out of the corner, and shifting to third, I could hear a faint rattling like maybe I cracked the exhaust or an exhaust hanger was broken, etc. Then I realized with the clutch in, it wouldn't go away.

It goes away when I stop, it starts up when i start moving, sound is worst in second gear and I think I can feel it in the shifter. I can still drive fine but 2nd gear the sound is too bad to really attempt accelerating through it.

I fear I broke a tooth off 2nd gear or something, but interested if someone has any other theory or experience here... or has a transmission to sell me.. The car has LSD..

Old 04-02-2015, 10:22 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

lift up your shifter boot and make sure the lever isnt rubbing on the body.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:09 PM
GJB928
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm chasing a second gear rattle right now. I found a crack in the stainless muffler where tail pipe exits. Welded that and it helped, but still there. Going to put it up on the lift and check bushings on shift shaft. Had the exact same problem on my MBZ 190 16v and new shifter bushings fixed it but 951 is a different set up.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking my transmission is trash, gotta be the second gear synchro. If I am sitting still, clutch out, and push the shifter against each gear, it makes a little noise but barely anything for every gear except second. If I push it against second it rattles like all hell.

And since it drives fine in second other than the noise, seems like it would have to be the synchro, no? Actually never really had any grinding issues in the cold it would just be very hard to get into second until it warms up. Always figured it meant the synchro was in good shape.. :/
Old 04-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

FYI, I apparently broke a tooth or two off of second gear.
I brought it to Kevin Gross by recommendation, unfortunately he disassembled it and found that the carrier bearings seating in the case is worn and I need a replacement transmission case or find another transmission instead of rebuilding... Some of this is probably because the transmission oil was completely degraded. I assumed the previous owner had done it in the recent passed and procrastinated on replacing it in the first year of ownership. I probably put some additional wear in that time...

Quick Reply: Rattling in second gear, can feel it in shifter