Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for heavy duty battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for heavy duty battery

I am done with the Optima yellow tops. Not sure the correct battery terminology, but I am looking for a battery with a lot of cold cranking power.

I am about to get started on my car that has sat the better half of past 4 years for multiple reason. I don't want it to be a hassle for my mechanic.

I keep a trickle charger on it because I usually drive it about once every 3 weeks or so just for keeping things up. Today it acted very strange, I turned the key which is starting to get temperamental and it seemed like the battery was dead, car would not turn over and no dash lights. I pressed the alarm button on the key fob and nothing usually it triggers the door locks and leds in the door pins. I figured the battery was dead so I put the trickle charger back on, then decided to check voltage to see. Took trickle charger back off ( been on less then 30 sec) and voltage was 12.8. then tried again and it started right up and voltage was 13.65 running. I drove and restarted 5-6 times running errands with no occurrence. weird any thoughts?

Also want a powerful battery due to the fact that the EMS I am running starts better on a strong battery that can turn the engine over fast at startup.

Edit remembered the odyssey recommended by EMS tuner, so probably go with that. Really curious on todays occurance.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
Steve
Old 03-28-2015, 06:15 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The most I've ever seen for a group 48 battery is 750 CCA on an AGM. That's a ton more than the stock (and now defunct) group 41 had and should turn over any 944 very quickly no matter how cold it is or what oil is in there. Hell, 750 CCA should turn over pretty much any gas engine.

For reference, 750 CCA is more than most lead-acid big V8 truck batteries. It's a ton of power, and lightweight to boot since its an AGM.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:02 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

i have optima red and a costco. the costco just won't die it's an 07 battery
Old 03-28-2015, 02:54 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually always gotten really reliable batteries from my local Napa. Close, cheap, reliable and as good of a warranty as any. After reading about Optima's, I just decided against them. gruhsy seems to have one of the few really reliable Optimas, which is great, but a search here on RL, turns up a long list of guys with exactly your problem.
Frankly, most batteries are made by the same company, so a good old Die Hard, or whatever, is as good as the one a Napa, or Pep Boys or whatever, generally. Batteries are to hassle oriented to worry about weight, IMHO. I just want reliable. It's not a race car.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:56 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, I couldn't find one that fit at Costco. I think it may be regionally dependent, but I've heard great reviews about the Costco batteries, as gruhsy said.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:26 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

My optima did die on me once and I had to do the jumper cable charge as described on optima's site. I also do not like the way the optima fits our cars. Post +- cut out batteries are much nicer fit to me.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:37 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had 2 red tops in my car purchased from Costco, first one died. Had a blue top in another application that I had to get warranted. PIA had to go through the original seller per Optima warranty procedures. I'm done with Optima.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:05 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Just to be clear my costco battery is a kirkland brand not an optima
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Costco sold Optimas at one time, no longer. I also heard that since they were getting hammered on their liberal warranty policy on the Kirkland line of battery they have now changed to Interstate. Interstate was the manufacturer of Kirkland.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the replies I will check out the oddessy and Agm.

IIRC I had started with an standard interstate then went to optima because thought better. I had a red then two yellows prob for the same amt of time I had the interstate.

It has been so long since I had a standard battery I can't recall if the standard batteries secure better. I seem to recall being dissapointed with the optima.

I have my coil packs mounted on a bracket near the blower unit. So a slightly smaller battery would be nice.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:07 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 968 Posts
Default batteries

i think the key to long life in ANY battery is to have it charged by a trickle charger I have 4 optima 3 red 1 yellow 4 years and older bought at Costco that have never given me trouble after I replaced them the first couple of times and have kept them charged up ever since
Mike

Quick Reply: Looking for heavy duty battery